PDA

View Full Version : a not so good mill site and cellar hole hunt

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
sniffy came down and we hit a old mill site i know of.not alot of targets on the side of river we were on.alot of newer trash cuz its close to the back side of a few modern buisnesses. next time we'll cross the river and hunt the other side.
we hit a few cellar holes but since these are higher in elevation the snow was a little too deep and we were getting discouraged at the lack of targets.
one of the lower elevation holes i got a few good quarter reading targets.one turned out to be the broken shoe buckle.the others turned out to be bigger pieces of flat brass or copper pieces.
the small disc we thought was a half dime at first but not to be.
hey every hunt can't be successful but we tried our best and it's always nice to get out!

coinnut
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Nice buckle. Too bad some is missing. I guess we take it for granted on them hot summer days that we complain about. :rolleyes: We would welcome some of that heat right about now. I don't know about you, but I'm addicted and that's the reason I go out in the snow and hunt rofl But I am gettin' a bit weary of it :-\ Come on Spring!! Still must have felt good to get out, and at least you got a bunch of relics. I've been out in the deeper snow and only had a couple of targets all day long.

MassDirtFisher
02-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Good diggin...theres plenty more there. Wait till it all melts..Happy Hunting!!

del
02-28-2010, 06:57 PM
hey Dave how did Jesse do , any better :huh: i think mill sites are a bit harder to find things for a few reasons , theres usually more iron laying around for and most mills were built right on the sides or just over the river and over time rivers flood and the banks erode away and anything over the stream fall into the water and gets washed away. so very little remains to be found . you'll do better next time Dave i'm sure . :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-28-2010, 07:17 PM
hey Dave how did Jesse do , any better :huh: i think mill sites are a bit harder to find things for a few reasons , theres usually more iron laying around for and most mills were built right on the sides or just over the river and over time rivers flood and the banks erode away and anything over the stream fall into the water and gets washed away. so very little remains to be found . you'll do better next time Dave i'm sure . :grin:

nah jesse did worse than me.i feel bad he drove all the way down here and not even a button.
there are 3 colonial mill sites on this river and all the workers that probaby were back n forth on river banks had to lose a few coins i'm sure.you can see the other side of the river and there's alot of land there.we'll be back in the spring.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice buckle. Too bad some is missing. I guess we take it for granted on them hot summer days that we complain about. :rolleyes: We would welcome some of that heat right about now. I don't know about you, but I'm addicted and that's the reason I go out in the snow and hunt rofl But I am gettin' a bit weary of it :-\ Come on Spring!! Still must have felt good to get out, and at least you got a bunch of relics. I've been out in the deeper snow and only had a couple of targets all day long.

thanks G.well i think you can say and i can say that i'm more than addicted maybe borderline obsessed/possesed rofl. instead of sheep jumping over the fence when i sleep.i see coppers :crazy:

del
02-28-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks G.well i think you can say and i can say that i'm more than addicted maybe borderline obsessed/possesed rofl. instead of sheep jumping over the fence when i sleep.i see coppers :crazy:

thats better than Coinnut , George counts oxknobs in his sleep

sniffy
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
It was fun today Dave....I tried to tell myself weeks ago that I should wait for spring.....but looks who's back out in the woods again...tracking through deep snow looking for buttons!... :crazy:....Maybe next week the saga will continue thumbsup01

KirkPA
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Dave,

You can't get the reward every time out. The copper gods will smile on you this year.

You need to find a mill site that they dug a mill race. You should then find the coppers. I agree with Del though with most mill sites. KKC has hunted a few mills before and have found some nice Colonials. The two mills we have hunted definitely had mill races that were dug.

Kirk

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Dave,

You can't get the reward every time out. The copper gods will smile on you this year.

You need to find a mill site that they dug a mill race. You should then find the coppers. I agree with Del though with most mill sites. KKC has hunted a few mills before and have found some nice Colonials. The two mills we have hunted definitely had mill races that were dug.

Kirk

what the heck's a mill race?
see that squared rock formation in foreground with treaded iron rods? well thats hollow and if you look down there is a rectangular opening at water level way down on one side.is that a mill race?

KirkPA
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
It is difficult to say, Dave, but I am thinking that most likely there was a mill race at this site. Every mill KKC has hit had one. Is the mill right on the river (feet away from the waterline)? If not, there was a mill race. You should find some coppers there (if the site is virgin).

Be patient, Dave, and you will dig the goodies.

Kirk

coinnut
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey Dave,

A mill race or raceway is the current or channel of a stream, esp. one for conducting water to or from a water wheel or other device for utilizing its energy.

Don't worry, I'm not that smart, but Wikipedia is lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey Dave,

A mill race or raceway is the current or channel of a stream, esp. one for conducting water to or from a water wheel or other device for utilizing its energy.

Don't worry, I'm not that smart, but Wikipedia is lol

:huh: i was gonna say..damn your good G
thanks for that tidbit of info.much appreciated! thumbsup01
MILL RACE
here i was picturing a bunch of colonial grown men running back n forth in relay race,COPPERS FLYING OUTTA POCKETS :drool:grabbing ales at the finishing line rofl
damn! then somebody bursted my day dreaming bubble over my head :crying02: POP!

coinnut
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
:huh: i was gonna say..damn your good G
thanks for that tidbit of info.much appreciated! thumbsup01
MILL RACE
here i was picturing a bunch of colonial grown men running back n forth in relay race,COPPERS FLYING OUTTA POCKETS :drool:grabbing ales at the finishing line rofl
damn! then somebody bursted my day dreaming bubble over my head :crying02:

It's better than that, a bunch of drunk colonial guys digging ditches with shovels and losing coppers everytime they bend down. lol They are lost instantly in the mud. There must be thousands of them in that mill race rofl

KirkPA
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
You guys have the copper craze. rofl

I do as well. rofl

Kirk

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-02-2010, 07:51 AM
You guys have the copper craze. rofl

I do as well. rofl

Kirk

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

definition:CRAZE> the thought of boppin a fellow detecting partner on the noggin as he extracts a green colonial disc from the earthen loom.

definition:CRAZED> the thought or consideration and careful planning of taking that green unearthed disc and proceeding to dig a shallow grave to dispose of the bopped friend after the theft.

For other uses of craze see Insanity :rolleyes:

sniffy
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM

definition:CRAZE> the thought of boppin a fellow detecting partner on the noggin as he extracts a green colonial disc from the earthen loom.

definition:CRAZED> the thought or consideration and careful planning of taking that green unearthed disc and proceeding to dig a shallow grave to dispose of the bopped friend after the theft.

Ok....never turning my back on you.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-02-2010, 10:41 AM

i'm kiddin geesh! :beatdown:

coinnut
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Sounds about right 8) 8) :bop: thumbsup01

del
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM

hey Jesse he is harmless until you find coppers :yes: :yes:. then the rule is the more coppers you find the more desperate he becomes :twirlingeyes: :crazy: and the more you should keep an eye on him . god forbid you should find a cache of copper coins cause he'll probably snap :drool: like the :shocked04: :shocked04: cuckoo for cocoa puffs cereal bird :shocked04: :shocked04: and attack you out in the open :tongue: lol lol :poke: :kiss:

sniffy
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm gonna start carrying a couple junk coppers in my pocket, and when he gets out of line...Ill just pitch one 50 ft away and watch him scramble.

coinnut
03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna start carrying a couple junk coppers in my pocket, and when he gets out of line...Ill just pitch one 50 ft away and watch him scramble.

I think right about now he'd take a junk copper. lol See what you get when you diss the old DFX and sell it Dave ? :confused: :poke: lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I think right about now he'd take a junk copper. lol See what you get when you diss the old DFX and sell it Dave ? :confused: :poke: lol

yeah well jesse is ready to pitch his DFX nevermind the coppers :confused:

del
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
yeah well jesse is ready to pitch his DFX nevermind the coppers :confused:

:shocked04:PITCH THE DFX :shocked04: that extremely fine techno-logical copper sniffing breakthrough of a machine thumbsup01 he's give'in it up already :confused: :huh: :bop:

coinnut
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
:shocked04:PITCH THE DFX :shocked04: that extremely fine techno-logical copper sniffing breakthrough of a machine thumbsup01 he's give'in it up already :confused: :huh: :bop:

What's wrong with them guys Dan?? Don't they see your copper posts?? I think Dave is rubbin' off on Sniffy :poke: :poke: rofl

sniffy
03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm not pitchin that thing....Im just used to using the prizm and have dug coins very deep and no problems pinpointing...now the big DFX comes along with all it's bells and whistles and creates a whole new angle to look at things. I'll get very comfortable with this machine, and when I do...read em and weep. 8)

coinnut
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
That's the spirit!!!!!! :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not pitchin that thing....Im just used to using the prizm and have dug coins very deep and no problems pinpointing...now the big DFX comes along with all it's bells and whistles and creates a whole new angle to look at things. I'll get very comfortable with this machine, and when I do...read em and weep. 8)

:crying02: