PDA

View Full Version : 1734 house

skrapman
02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Here are some finds from the old fields of a 1734 house. I secured permission from the factory, and hunted Sunday. Right away I
started finding harness buckles. 14 in all. A 1742 georgie,1864 two cent pc. and what i thought was a King George 3rd., but the
blank is too large, it has a reeded edge and it is corrorded differently than the other coins.its porous. Do you think it could be a
counterfiet? was it silver plated?. :thinkingabout: I dont know that much about english coins. I do know I need to go back and talk to the current
owner of the house and ask for permission to hunt his back yard. I already met him but am shy to ask permission. :embarrassed: the last picture is a comparrison between a KG 3rd. and the coin I found. thanks for looking mike ps those are not my holes.

del
02-22-2012, 04:19 AM
hello Mike , i can't see enough detail on the coin in question to tell you what it is , sorry . sometimes if you can get a light source to cast across the face of a coin it will bring out the details more , thats how i try to photograph mine . congrats on securing a very prodiuctive area to detect , nice items |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan

skrapman
02-22-2012, 07:10 AM
hello Mike , i can't see enough detail on the coin in question to tell you what it is , sorry . sometimes if you can get a light source to cast across the face of a coin it will bring out the details more , thats how i try to photograph mine . congrats on securing a very prodiuctive area to detect , nice items |:cheering: |:cheering:

Dan
I know I take terrible pictures,believe it or not they used to be worse.The coin is so pitted I dont think any detail will show.
when I first dug it that is when it looked the best.I will try to clear it up and re-post if any better. thanks dan, mike

Merc
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Very nice fields you have to hunt. Try to overcome that shyness and grab some more permission. What do you have to loose? Worst they can say is no. Could be a rare coin hiding in there. Great job on the hunt. HH

angellionel
02-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Those are very nice finds. I would have had a hard time leaving the place. :yes:

JTGOLD
02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
very good hunt and go ahead and ask,90% of the people will say yes.

CODY
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice finds, congrats thumbsup01

jkress
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Wow... 1734 house. :twirlingeyes: I'm not even sure we have ground that old here in Iowa. lol
Great bunch of finds skrapman.

Definitely ask for permission to hunt the yard. :yes: Take a few relics along to show him some of the things
you get excited about finding. Most folks give the 'go-ahead' and you'll have a very fun hunt.
If he says 'no'... at least you tried. thumbsup01

skrapman
02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
here is a better picture of the coin I am having trouble identifing.hopefully someone can recognize a feature. thanks

del
02-23-2012, 06:58 AM
the reverse reminds me of a later Georgian penny like this type . the front picture is a little blurry but you have coin in hand maybe you can see it better , these type of pennies are a bit larger than the standard George III half pence.

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
>{ :wow: those are some nice relics and coins. Congrats on a great hunt. I love the picture of the old stone fence, very cool.

skrapman
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
the reverse reminds me of a later Georgian penny like this type . the front picture is a little blurry but you have coin in hand maybe you can see it better , these type of pennies are a bit larger than the standard George III half pence.

Dan
Thanks Dan for checking, I'm not sure if the coin is the same. At the base of Britannias feet on mine is a horizontal line and
the other is a wave. I would be pleased to find the second.

del
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Dan for checking, I'm not sure if the coin is the same. At the base of Britannias feet on mine is a horizontal line and
the other is a wave. I would be pleased to find the second.

hey Scrapman , the 1806 doesn't have the wavy look under Britannia plus there are a few varieties of this type . some have the straight line with date others don't and have the date on the front .

skrapman
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
hey Scrapman , the 1806 doesn't have the wavy look under Britannia plus there are a few varieties of this type . some have the straight line with date others don't and have the date on the front .
Thanks for the info, now I am curious.I will try to clean more of the corrosion off to get a better veiw. I usually only soak
them in olive oil . If I find out anything I will let you know. Went by the old house yesterday and the company digging up the front
of the mill posted the whole area. Not sure if I can go back. I still can try the homeowner, some fields are better than no fields.