PDA

View Full Version : 1838 Braided Hair Large Cent

angellionel
02-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Today I had counted on hitting an old site and was quite excited about the prospect of digging up a few old coins, but when I arrived at the site I saw that it was covered with snow. :crying02: There wasn't much I could do then, so I turned around to head back home. On the way I was passing by one site not far from home, so I stopped to detect for a bit. Our area had only been pelted with rain the day before, so there was no snow to deal with. :happydance01: However, about 30 minutes into the hunt it did begin to snow. :shocked03: But it stopped soon enough, and the sun made an appearance. This went on for a while though - snow, sun, snow, sun. And it was getting cold too. :frozen:

Anyway, I kept detecting for a while, and managed to dig up a few old coins before leaving. |:cheering:

This 1838 large cent made the trip worth it. :happydance01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/1838_largecent_022512.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/1838_largecent_obv_022512.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/1838_largecent_rev_022512.jpg

The other finds were three wheat cents, two Indian Head cents, and a button.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2012/February/ihandwheats_022512.jpg

del
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM
very sweet looking coin Angel :smitten: :smitten: what did ya use to clean her up??

Cheap Thrills
02-25-2012, 07:13 PM
:wow: She cleaned up real nice , awesome find !!! |:cheering:

angellionel
02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
very sweet looking coin Angel :smitten: :smitten: what did ya use to clean her up??

I used coin conditioner, though I did go through a number of Q-tips. The conditioner lifted up most of the soil. I then used a toothpick to pry off some of the verdigris, followed by a few more applications of coin conditioner. :yes: I do like the results. :smitten:

:wow: She cleaned up real nice , awesome find !!! |:cheering:

Thanks Sheik! :beerbuddy:

POKIE73
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
great finds as always but i will have to say i like the large cent the best it looks to be in great shape congrats on a great hunt dennis

Tony Two-Cent
02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Simply incredible how well that large cent cleaned up! Wow, it's a real beauty! :loveit:

I really like the Conductor button too! I just love railroad relics!

Great hunt as always, Angel! thumbsup01

starman2
02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
:perfect10:! Congrats on some nice finds! |:cheering: Snowed in here :frozen:

jkress
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Nice.... the 1838 is in beautiful shape. :smitten: Definitely worth the effort and weather. :yes:
Congrats on the IH's and Wheat cents too.
Can't wait to see what you pull out of the site that was snow covered today. :-> Come on spring!

Fire Fighter 43
02-25-2012, 10:49 PM
A beutifull coin Angel, congrats on another good hunt. |:cheering:

CODY
02-25-2012, 11:23 PM
WOW! That is one sweet looking Large Cent! Man, what I would give to find one of those for my collection. I don't think people were even in this area in 1839. Congrats on a great find! |:cheering:

fsa46
02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Some very nice detail on that oldie. WTG :loveit:

JTGOLD
02-26-2012, 08:36 AM
very nice LC and other coins to,wtg.

aloldstuff
02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Nice LC and it cleaned up real nice. Thru the snow, sun, snow, sun you kept at it and congrats on all your finds.

Epi-hunter
02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Beautiful finds :perfect10:

Question: Where do you get the coin conditioner? Do you use it on silver too or just coppers? Also, does using that conditioner result in the coin having less value to a collector or does it just remove the dirt only? What kind of 'cleaning' is the type that collectors (and the grading/slabbing companies) designate as negative - something that affects the coloration of the coin? (Sorry, that was four questions :embarrassed: lol :cheesysmile: )

angellionel
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys! :beerbuddy:

Beautiful finds :perfect10:

Question: Where do you get the coin conditioner? Do you use it on silver too or just coppers? Also, does using that conditioner result in the coin having less value to a collector or does it just remove the dirt only? What kind of 'cleaning' is the type that collectors (and the grading/slabbing companies) designate as negative - something that affects the coloration of the coin? (Sorry, that was four questions :embarrassed: lol :cheesysmile: )

With any type of cleaning one should proceed with caution before doing so, and deciding which coin conditioner to use is no exception. Though I have not experienced this myself, some conditioners may darken or change the color of certain coins, coppers I would think.

The coin conditioner of choice is Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner, though I think that it is no longer in production. :confused: It is a great conditioner for coppers! :yes: I am now using a less expensive brand, Coin Care, and it has yielded similar results. The conditioner can improve the appearance of a coin, especially copper. Recently I have started to use it on silver, as I did with the ones in THIS POST (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=9006.0), and the results have been great. I first make sure to place the coin under running water so as to remove any gritty soil remaining on the surface, followed by gentle swabbing of coin conditioner using a Q-Tip. :yes:

Bell-Two
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Very beautiful Large Cent Angel, to clean or not to clean is always a tough call but you made the best choice here. The Large Cents are probably my favorite coin to find.

mike l
02-28-2012, 11:48 PM
1838 and a full LIBERTY, very nice. We are heading into March and the nice weather is around the corner :peace: no more :frozen:

RobW
02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Very nice Angel!

angellionel
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
1838 and a full LIBERTY, very nice. We are heading into March and the nice weather is around the corner :peace: no more :frozen:

Snow is coming down hard out here now. :crying02: If the accumulation holds, it may be a while before I can swing the coil again. \:[ But, spring IS around the corner! :happydance01:

silversearcher
02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Nice finds. that coin cleaned up real nice.
This snow will be gone in no time :yes:! 50's and rain on Saturday I just hope the ground softens cause the park I hit with Al and Rob is only 2 minutes from my house :grin: