PDA

View Full Version : HeadPhones

DAN03USMC
02-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Figured I would throw my two cents in regard to headphones. I was using Rat-Phones, both the originals and the newer MSA's I liked them because of their clear crisp tones. They are no longer available. (out of business) My original pr. were pretty beat. .....more on that latter. My hunting buddy lost one of the ear cups on my MSA's. So, I was out of commission.
I wanted to get a new pr of phones and heard very good things about the Pro-golds (killer B's) Well, I got a new pr from a dealer here in Ma. I received them and had a problem. no sound in right ear :-\ Called the guy I bought them from, and he was willing to do what ever it took to make it right. He said I might be better-off sending them to B&amp:beerbuddy: myself. He said he would cover any added cost to me. I talked to John at B&amp:beerbuddy:....WOW what a nice guy. he took care of everything, including shipping both ways. You don't mind having a problem now and then when the customer service is so excellent. I can't say enought good things about it. The only other company that is as good is White's.
I was also able to buy new parts for my Ratphone originals. My old pr of rats are like new again.
So, now I have a brand new pr of Progolds and two back-ups. I am using them on my E-trac. Even though the sound is super clear on the Rats, the sound is a little on the bass side. The very first thing I noticed was a little more treble and mid tone sound. Using multi I notice it the most. The high silver #'s come in a little more high pitched and fluty for lack of a better word. I do beleive the tones are a wisker shorter and sharper. (no tail) I think this could be a real advantage in trash, using multi tones-conductive. This is what I disliked most about the wireless phones on the V3. (Not to metion the delay).
i was able to get out in the feild for the first time yesterday. I would have to say that they are the best phones I have personally tried. I have used Whites,(reg and wireless) Koss, Rats, and Gray Ghosts.
I have exceptional hearing, and most times when I put other peoples headphones on, the volume blows my head off. I find I can turn the volume down very low, and have really good acurate responses.
I was able to find two silver dimes yesterday, and test the sound in a real world field test. I am very happy with the results. I know there are many already using these phones and I am late to the party, but I just wanted to chime in. So, if there is anyone reading this looking to buy a new set of phones. I am giving them :perfect10: hope this helps. Dan

earthmansurfer
02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Dan - Great post!

I too have great hearing and appreciate a good pair of headphones. (I run the volume on my E-Trac at 21 and turn up my Gray Ghosts all the way). I have only used Gray Ghosts (DMC version I believe) up until my last hunt last week. I order a pair of the Chef CP3 headphones - they use speakers that are best for the E-Tracs response (they say). After using both I noticed something similar to what you did with your phones. The Gray Ghosts seem to hit the highs better and the Chef CP3's seemed softer. The volume difference is noticeable. I had to up the Chef CP3's around 5 on the E-Trac to 25 to get them at the same level of volume. Then I think it was easier to compare them.

The Gray Ghosts had a fair amount of background noise (but are 8 years old). The Chef CP3's (which are out of the UK) seemed to give more information on the lower tones, but it's a bit too early for me to say for sure. I think since the headphones are out of the UK and since they like hunting hammereds there (low conductors) that perhaps it makes sense that they are more responsive on the lower end? I will say the Chef Phones are in a very noise reducing housing, more so than the Gray Ghosts I believe.

Interesting what you said regarding the Progolds and that they hit harder on the mid and highs - that is what I like. I thought the Gray Ghosts were quite good there but I have not had headphones to compare them up against until last week.

I disliked the V3i headphones as well, sound wise. But I NEVER experienced any form of delay. The headphones just didn't seem as crisp in sound, a bit softer. But, that said, they are still good headphones, just not as good as my Gray Ghosts imo. Wireless headphones to me are no big deal, though I do prefer the ease of use, particularly when filming. I would turn them off and the V3i goes to speak and had a separate volume (with threshold) control for that - brilliant.

Look forward to others replies, especially those with good hearing! rofl

EMS

DAN03USMC
02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
EMS, I checked out the chefphone website....those are ratphones MSA's. it says MSA right on the plastic. Very good phones! I am psych'd, I will be able to buy a new muff assembly for my Rats.
I was told to max the volume on the detector and ajust down with the phones. This way you won't loose any of the softer sounds comming out of the detector. I don't know if this is gospel or not, but I do it anyway. Dan

earthmansurfer
02-27-2012, 03:36 AM
You sure about that Dan? Yes, the Box says MSA but that is just the headphone casing - they are noise reduction headphones for workers. Then Chef put in some speakers and wires and such. No where on the box does it say ratphones, unless I misunderstand you and you just mean our phones have the same housing?

Regarding the volume control. I keep the headphones on max as the knob often gets touched when you take it off and put it on - the easiest thing to do is just to see that they are maxed. The volume is a slide type without clicks so it's hard to keep it exact. In Andy's E-Trac book he said it is fine to control the volume from the E-Trac - you won't lost anything as that would be a really bad design for volume control.

Thx,
Albert

DAN03USMC
02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey Albert. weird coincidence....I got a new hard hat today for work, and i noticed that it had a MSA logo on it. So I looked around and found them on the interweb. They are a safety manufacturing company. One of the things they make are headphones and ear muffs (hearing protection). I found that they make the phones that I have (you too I guess). So if they break, we can get parts very easily. :yes: sweet. HH, Dan

earthmansurfer
03-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Dan,

That isn't a coincidence. That is the Universe playing with you :grin:

I used the Chefphones at volume 25 for 7 hours and they were very very nice. Maybe the highs don't pierce as much but they insulate the outside noise and have a very smooth response.

Good hunting,
Albert