PDA

View Full Version : Found my first copper today-1833!!!

tanacat
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Found it next to a house built in 1865 just a few hours ago! I'm so excited! My first copper! I thought of Coinnut and Del when I found it ;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6096.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6098.jpg

coinnut
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW lol lol She's a beauty Tanacat. Congrats on your first of many! I wished you video taped that dance rofl Cause you must have been flying high :yes: Nice that your first one was in really excellent shape :yes:

randy
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, that is a very nice one. Keep pounding that site.

kurtnks
03-01-2010, 06:47 PM
:cheesysmile: Way to go thumbsup01 I can only dream of finding those :drool:

angellionel
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Beautiful coin, Tanacat! Congrats on a great find. thumbsup01

handyman
03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Tana, Great Large cent. I knew Idd wish I had gone on the hunt today :twirlingeyes:. There has to be more around there under all that junk and cans. Thats only the 4th LC That I know of being found around here. Good Job thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 cant wait for the weekend

Epi-hunter
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Tana, that is INCREDIBLE!!! It's in beautiful shape. They come out of the ground beautiful here, just as in the midwest where I'm from!! In the northeast the ground eats them alive and you can barely recognize them.

Congrats!!!! thumbsup01

tanacat
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone! :grin: What was SO WILD about my find--- is I had just swung near a little pile of cans I'd gathered from the bushes. It read 85/86 VDI which I COULD have mistook for the cans! I kicked them over a bit and sure enough....

:smitten: I'm in love! Now I have to buy some of those coin sleeve thing-a-doo-hickeys lol

Hey Tana, Great Large cent. I knew Idd wish I had gone on the hunt today :twirlingeyes:. There has to be more around there under all that junk and cans. Thats only the 4th LC That I know of being found around here. Good Job thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 cant wait for the weekend

I moved a lot of junk from front yard to porch today- we'll have to hunt some more there. I found it along the tree line/shrub line next to the driveway! The sideyard is soooo junky- lots of work there. I wonder who lived there before Mr. ...- if those walls could talk...

Tana, that is INCREDIBLE!!! It's in beautiful shape. They come out of the ground beautiful here, just as in the midwest where I'm from!! In the northeast the ground eats them alive and you can barely recognize them.

Congrats!!!! thumbsup01

Just let me know when you want to go out there with me/us Angie! Kevin and I have plans for this weekend. It's 110 acres of beautiful farmland. The old farmhouse was built in 1865 and old Mr...(89 yrs old- he's quite a character) lived there from 1944- 2006.

Epi-hunter
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Just let me know when you want to go out there with me/us Angie! Kevin and I have plans for this weekend. It's 110 acres of beautiful farmland. The old farmhouse was built in 1865 and old Mr. Halfhill (89 yrs old- he's quite a character) lived there from 1944- 2006.

I have my kids this weekend but with some planning could get away for a few hours Saturday with you and Kevin. My daughter's 9th birthday party is this weekend so I am doing that Sunday. Let me know :)

del
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: WOW first large copper Tanacat :huh: and its a real purdy one too, huge congrats . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Heavymetalnut hasn't seen one in so long i think he may cry when he gets a glimpse of that beauty :crying02: lol lol . i think its safe to say someone has got the copper bug now :yes: :tongue: :poke: huh . very very nice and congrats again .

Dan

Ill Digger
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
HOOOOOOOOLY COOOW !!! :shocked04:
That is just flawless !!!WOW !!!
Good for you !!! thumbsup01
I'm hopin' to find my first LC this season.
BIG [size=1:crazy:t]CONGRATS :grin:

tanacat
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
i think its safe to say someone has got the copper bug now :yes: :tongue: :poke: huh . very very nice and congrats again .

Dan

Yes, I do have the copper bug now... lol My mom and hubby are real impressed. Hubby: My God that thing is OLD 177 yrs old! I'm curious, is there anything you can put on coppers (some sort of oil) to make it look like it does when wet? It's so much more detailed...

coinnut
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: WOW first large copper Tanacat :huh: and its a real purdy one too, huge congrats . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 i think its safe to say someone has got the copper bug now :yes: :tongue: :poke:
Dan

We didn't know she had it in her aye?? lol Now she's hooked on coppers :yes: They do get you blood pumpin' when you first see that large disc come out.

coinnut
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm curious, is there anything you can put on coppers (some sort of oil) to make it look like it does when wet? It's so much more detailed...

Short answer - not really lol Long answer, there are some temporary things you can do to it but they all dry out or end up looking fake. My God, you only had it for a couple of hours and already you are trying to ruin it :poke: ;) I just let most of mine be and keep them in a 2x2 folder.

tanacat
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
My God, you only had it for a couple of hours and already you are trying to ruin it :poke: ;) I just let most of mine be and keep them in a 2x2 folder.

Okay okay I'll let it be... :rolleyes: I lover her just the way she is. I've been reading all about the history of the first cents, very interesting.

MT
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Congratulations Tanacat...Wow! thumbsup01
I wish I could find one of those on Hippie Hill :twirlingeyes:
HH,
MT

magic
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Very nice Tana! I am sure you will do just as good at the up and coming hunt. My girlfriend will be with me so you will have someone else to hunt with also.

xzlr8n
03-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Way to go!! thumbsup01 Nice large copper you found there. Keep going over that yard, you'll be surprised how many things pop out each time you go. Especially after you've had some time on your new machine and learn all its nuances.

Lowjiber
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Very nice!!! :yes: :yes:

Didn't take you long to get the hang of that new machine. Huh?

Congratulations!!!!

tanacat
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
[

Very nice!!! :yes: :yes:

Didn't take you long to get the hang of that new machine. Huh?

Congratulations!!!!

You were so right- wouldn't trade her for the world! :smitten: I like the complexity too, the challenge of the programs and such. I still can't quite discern trash from the goods, realizing it will take some time to get to know my machine...

Congratulations Tanacat...Wow! thumbsup01
I wish I could find one of those on Hippie Hill :twirlingeyes:
HH,
MT
I bet you've found some interesting jewelry and paraphernalia?
lol

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW lol lol She's a beauty Tanacat. Congrats on your first of many! I wished you video taped that dance rofl Cause you must have been flying high :yes: Nice that your first one was in really excellent shape :yes:

Yeah I knew it was something special! But knew not to rub the dirt around and scratch her. It seemed to take forever to get to my car to get the water to rinse her off. lol When the date was revealed I was flying high.
Of course I had to call my detecting buddy immediately (Handyman). Wow what a rush! And of course check my pricing guide to see if worth thousands (just a little disappointed in that arena... but $20 + isn't too bad)

Very nice Tana! I am sure you will do just as good at the up and coming hunt. My girlfriend will be with me so you will have someone else to hunt with also.

Thanks- looking forward to meeting you both in person! I need to mail in my form- it's laying here on the counter :rolleyes: Can't wait for that trip!!! We love camping... I'm bringing hubby, kids and my mom--- the whole fam damily!

Way to go!! thumbsup01 Nice large copper you found there. Keep going over that yard, you'll be surprised how many things pop out each time you go. Especially after you've had some time on your new machine and learn all its nuances.

Thanks! Yeah, I think I might go back there today after I take my kid to the bus stop- even though it's in the 30's lol rofl lol rofl I'm hooked!

John M
03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Way to go and it is a beauty.Now that is the way to break in that xlt.With the New England accent gotta love them Coppas.

sniffy
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
WAY TO GO! Such an awesome feeling...my first copper was a Draped Bust Half cent...I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Now get out there and get MORE!...hOORAY! thumbsup01

tanacat
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Way to go and it is a beauty.Now that is the way to break in that xlt.With the New England accent gotta love them Coppas.

Thanx John! And with my Southern Bell accent - I'm perdy DURN happy lol

WAY TO GO! Such an awesome feeling...my first copper was a Draped Bust Half cent...I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Now get out there and get MORE!...hOORAY! thumbsup01

Now I have to go look it up (your draped bust half cent) :) I'm learning as I go! There are soooo many coins out there to be found! I'm hopeful for one that will pay for my detector hehehe

I thought I'd share a few pics where I found it.... I admit it's kinda spooky hunting all by myself with my back turned to the old house, with my headphones on.... lol It's been abandoned for a few years, long story by the owner. I felt safe with the county sheriffs stopping by to check on me, two seperate days. I showed one the coin today- he was mighty impressed, said I needed to go by Mr. ____'s and show it to him...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6139.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6125.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6124.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6130.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6147.jpg

coinnut
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: I can smell them coppers from here lol That place is gonna be loaded. The trick is to slow down a bit (not too slow, not too fast) If you can find your Pre Amp Control, set it higher (at least 7 or so). Also Recovery Speed should go up a bit also. I feel like a dad letting his teenage daughter drive for the first time lol Sorry, I'm sure you have it under control ;)

Ill Digger
03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6139.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6125.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6124.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6130.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6147.jpg

That place looks just dreamy :drool: :drool:
Yep take your time ,have fun and post lots of pics!
I can just imagine the hustle an bustle in the hay days of that old place
Good luck & HH :grin:

del
03-03-2010, 03:33 AM
:shocked04: :shocked04: that place looks like a great area and i bet it produces alot of indians and a few more large cents too. don't rule out the silver as well :yes: , lots of room it will take you some time to cover it all so work an area by gridding it off . your gonna do well ;) there i can feel it Tanacat .

Dan

tanacat
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
If you can find your Pre Amp Control, set it higher (at least 7 or so). Also Recovery Speed should go up a bit also. I feel like a dad letting his teenage daughter drive for the first time lol Sorry, I'm sure you have it under control ;)

:grin: Okay DAD... Would that be under pro settings or basic adjustments... for recovery speed- a bit up would be like over half way? I'm getting the hang of making some adjustments like turning the threshold down ALL the way- a new pet peeve of mine :ticked: But I love all the tone id sounds. Getting to know all 291 of them! I know some who don't like tone id- how boring imho!

:shocked04: :shocked04: that place looks like a great area and i bet it produces alot of indians and a few more large cents too. don't rule out the silver as well :yes: , lots of room it will take you some time to cover it all so work an area by gridding it off . your gonna do well ;) there i can feel it Tanacat .

Dan

Well I hunted a bit yesterday to no avail, but not giving up! I was only there an hour... I wish you guys lived closer- you could join me! And keep the boogy man from sneaking up on me. Headed back out there in a couple hours. I'll keep you posted.

That place looks just dreamy :drool: :drool:
Yep take your time ,have fun and post lots of pics!
I can just imagine the hustle an bustle in the hay days of that old place
Good luck & HH :grin:

I've always had a fascination with old houses and barns, I'd say most people do :yes: I found an old metal bench in about 10 pieces- I imagine it was Mr. ____'s mother's, I see her taking a rest after tending to her flowerbed (btw, he told me she had 23 different types of perennials and to help myself when they emerge in the spring)... Going to look it up, see how old of an antique the bench/stool is

SeabeeRon
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Just now seeing this post, a belated CONGRATZ Tanacat on an awesome looking coin!! :shocked04: :yes:

coinnut
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
:grin: Okay DAD... Would that be under pro settings or basic adjustments... for recovery speed- a bit up would be like over half way?

I can't tell you that :rolleyes: That would be acting like Dad lol But I think if it were my machine I would look under pro settings :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
:crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!! thumbsup01 SHE'S A BEAUTY!!!!!! :drool:

tanacat
03-12-2010, 08:22 AM
:crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!! thumbsup01 SHE'S A BEAUTY!!!!!! :drool:

lol Thank you for your enthusiasm! Hey I thought mine was nice- I just saw your 1827 Now there's a WOWOWWOWOW one... I asked you on the other thread if you can tell me about uncirculated coins. A friend thought mine might have been uncirculated because they are usually so worn...

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
lol Thank you for your enthusiasm! Hey I thought mine was nice- I just saw your 1827 Now there's a WOWOWWOWOW one... I asked you on the other thread if you can tell me about uncirculated coins. A friend thought mine might have been uncirculated because they are usually so worn...

well if it was in the ground then it was circulated.but maybe it was a AU almost uncirculated when lost

tanacat
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
well if it was in the ground then it was circulated.but maybe it was a AU almost uncirculated when lost

In my coin book--- (it prob answers my question if I'd just read more thoroughly lol sorry)--- in the pricing area it lists proofs and uncirculated ones, I'm wondering how people get a hold of those? I'd think govt' would order destroyed after use?

coinnut
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
In my coin book--- (it prob answers my question if I'd just read more thoroughly lol sorry)--- in the pricing area it lists proofs and uncirculated ones, I'm wondering how people get a hold of those? I'd think govt' would order destroyed after use?

The word proof is deceiving or at least interpreted wrong some times. You would think proof means the shiniest, most beautiful coins around. And they are when they are made. But the term proof is how the coin is made (method of manufacturing) and not really the condition. A proof coin is always a proof coin, no matter what. You just pay more for the shiny ones lol And the government makes tons of money selling proof sets, and uncirculated sets. They love them lol

tanacat
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
The word proof is deceiving or at least interpreted wrong some times. You would think proof means the shiniest, most beautiful coins around. And they are when they are made. But the term proof is how the coin is made (method of manufacturing) and not really the condition. A proof coin is always a proof coin, no matter what. You just pay more for the shiny ones lol And the government makes tons of money selling proof sets, and uncirculated sets. They love them lol

Oh, okay... I was thinking that the proofs are the ones that MAKE the coin? Like the first ones ever done, in the molds. I will read up on proofs because I'm still confused :huh:

Btw, I caught the (gov't) in a lie? In a magazine recently, there was an ad for buying 1921 silver dollars. It said that a farmer in Illinois had just cashed in his cache of thousands of silver dollars- that he's stored in a wooden crate to save until retirement. He'd forgotten about them until recently.

....Well those years don't add up. That farmer would have to be at least 110-120 yrs old right now. In 1921 he'd have to be at least 20 or 30 yrs old to be a farmer, to be able to afford all those silver dollars right?... I thought about calling the number and questioning them on that story rofl

SeabeeRon
03-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah Tana those deals on silver or gold coins always make me think SCAM!! There is the one I hear on the radio about a recent cache of gold US coins being found in Europe and now available for purchase!! Yeah, right!! :beatdown:

kevinslack
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
very nice coin, by looking at your spot i would say you will fined some more nice coins there.

coinnut
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh, okay... I was thinking that the proofs are the ones that MAKE the coin? Like the first ones ever done, in the molds. I will read up on proofs because I'm still confused :huh:

ok tana, proofs are coins that are struck twice to give them maximun luster and perfect strikes. Sometimes hand picked planchets (blanks). They are sold to collectors and after that, they are on there own. lol So a proof can be in greaty shape or abused. It depends.. Hope this helps. It is all about the way it is produced and not the condition of of it. Not like uncirculate coins which rely on luster and lack of abrasion.

tanacat
03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
ok tana, proofs are coins that are struck twice to give them maximun luster and perfect strikes. Sometimes hand picked planchets (blanks). They are sold to collectors and after that, they are on there own. lol So a proof can be in greaty shape or abused. It depends.. Hope this helps. It is all about the way it is produced and not the condition of of it. Not like uncirculate coins which rely on luster and lack of abrasion.

Thanks! thumbsup01 I grasped that- so they are vey intricate...