PDA

View Full Version : A few finds this weekend

Epi-hunter
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Had a rare two days this month (this weekend) to detect and the weather more or less cooperated. I went to a nearby city and stayed overnight Saturday to get two days in.

Saturday was cold and I had to stay out of the open areas (it was snowing too) so I went to a park that had lots of wooded areas and hills. I have found a few mercs in this park in the wooded areas but not much else. Long story short, I ended up with 3 mercs (no key dates) but had to scrap the day after only 3 hours because it was so muddy. I ended up losing my footing mid-way down a somewhat steep hill and I slid about 50 feet or so in the mud. :embarrassed: :blush:

When I finally stopped I was covered in mud from head to toe -- it was in my hair and smeared on my face even. It looked like I had been in a mud fight. :embarrassed: Unfortunately I had to check into the hotel after that. (The guy at the desk looked at me, the muddy mess, and then at the registration information, and said Are you sure you are a doctor?) lol

On Sunday I was very sore from my mudslide experience and I had twisted my ankle during it as well, so I was moving very slowly (a benefit with the E-Trac) :) Anyway, I actually scored a seated dime during this trip so I was very happy :cheesysmile: This park is tough and I had to work really hard to find a barber dime last time. The seated was found in somewhat the same place and isn't pretty but it's my first seated of 2012. :)

Sorry this is a bad photo... oh yeah, also I found one IH (the other IH was found on a different hunt) and nine wheats (they aren't pictured).

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/coinsall.jpg

My Sunday adventure was that I was detecting and concentrating when suddenly I had a large dog jump on my back from behind. :shocked04: I hate this! It's not the first time this has happened to me. This park is known for dog-walkers and although they are supposed to be on a leash it is rare. This dog was the size of a small horse. :shocked04:stretcher: :shocked01: Scared me to death.

To top it off (and this is why I'm even telling the story), the dog's owner, who is an oldish and grumpy man, came up to me and said not one word about his horse-dog. >:/ He instead said to me, I am sure there is a rule that you can't be digging holes in the parks! >:# (Seriously? His horse-dog literally knocks me down and I am the one breaking a rule?) 8/ )

I told him that I had a piece of paper signed by the city's parks and recreation department allowing me to dig holes. Then I asked him if he had a similarly signed piece of paper allowing his dog to run without a leash and jump on unsuspecting people. :rolleyes: He walked away. lol :cheesysmile:

Anyway, sorry for long story.

I did find a button which was pretty deep. The photos (front and back) are below. I don't have any delusions that it's really old, not in that park, but I'm curious if Dan the Man can ID it. (Please don't laugh at me Dan; I only recognize a modern button if it is stamped Levi's. :cheesysmile: )

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/buttonfont.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/buttonback.jpg

Also, I found a metal ball which was very deep as well. I was going to throw it away but decided to see if it might possibly be something more valuable than the garbage. :) (The quarter is for reference).

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/ball.jpg

If you read this far, thank you :)

angellionel
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
You find mercs even when sliding down a hill. lol And I can just picture the scene at the check-in. lol You had a sweet two days of hunting though. :clapping: The seated dime is not showing up well in the photo, but I bet she is a looker. :smitten: What year is it? Hopefully you will have a chance to hit that place again. :yes:

I have had a few run-ins at a few parks with dogs too, and in those cases they were supposed to be on a leash. :eyebrow:

CODY
02-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Those are some really sweet finds. :perfect10: Sorry to hear about your slide in the mud! Hope all is well thumbsup01. Wow, some of the things we have to put up with in the quest for the Holy Grail! Congrats on your finds. |:cheering: HH

Ill Digger
02-27-2012, 02:25 AM
8/ Angie, Angie, Angie lol We're going to have to get you a plastic bubble to hunt out of from now on! rofl
At least you can't be excused of boring hunts. :dontknow: lol I hope your all right now.
I know findin' a seated dime sure would help me forget about the mud slide a little. :yes: <: Plus a few Mercs.... thumbsup01 happydance02
Nice bag of keepers! thumbsup01 :clapping:
Congrats! :grin:
Nice come back thumbsup01 to mister dog whisperer :rolleyes: :hairpulling:

POKIE73
02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
comgrats on your finds i can imagine what the desk clerk was thinking it was probably your chance to be on funny videos hope your ankle gets better and i like the way you handled the guy with the dog i suppose we all have had the same thing happen my complaint is they do not clean up after them like they are supposed to do and then we hear about us making a mess well at least you made some good finds for your collection dennis

aloldstuff
02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Kudos for handling the old man with dog in the proper manner. Not so for not posting a picture of you covered in mud..........Looks like a couple of ruff days but the finds were fantastic. Wasn't this the weekend for your physical recovery:huh:thinkingabout:?

Tony Two-Cent
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Great finds and interersting story, Angie! Four silvers and two Indian Heads make for some fun detecting! Congrats on the seated dime! I'm glad you were finally able to get out for a weekend of hunting.

That dog story gets my blood pressure up. It sounds like you handled it perfectly. That old man is probably still sitting at home grumbling to himself. lol

Epi-hunter
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
You find mercs even when sliding down a hill. lol

Hey, whatever works lol

The seated dime is not showing up well in the photo, but I bet she is a looker. :smitten: What year is it?

Nah, it's ugly in real life too. lol rofl Seriously... it's almost totally black and not in great shape. I had to really study it to be sure it was a seated. 8/ I would like to take the black stuff off but I am afraid to clean it.

Those are some really sweet finds. :perfect10: Sorry to hear about your slide in the mud! Hope all is well thumbsup01. Wow, some of the things we have to put up with in the quest for the Holy Grail! Congrats on your finds. |:cheering: HH

Thanks Cody :yes: It was interesting for sure :cheesysmile:

8/ Angie, Angie, Angie lol We're going to have to get you a plastic bubble to hunt out of from now on! rofl

I knew I should not have posted that story but Angel told me I had to lol rofl

comgrats on your finds i can imagine what the desk clerk was thinking it was probably your chance to be on funny videos hope your ankle gets better and i like the way you handled the guy with the dog i suppose we all have had the same thing happen my complaint is they do not clean up after them like they are supposed to do and then we hear about us making a mess well at least you made some good finds for your collection dennis

Thank you :yes: I am okay with dogs but I don't understand why people think it's okay to just let them run 8/

Kudos for handling the old man with dog in the proper manner. Not so for not posting a picture of you covered in mud..........Looks like a couple of ruff days but the finds were fantastic. Wasn't this the weekend for your physical recovery:huh:thinkingabout:?

Thanks Al :yes: I think I will have to live in a bubble if I want to recover. :)

Great finds and interersting story, Angie! Four silvers and two Indian Heads make for some fun detecting! Congrats on the seated dime! I'm glad you were finally able to get out for a weekend of hunting.

That dog story gets my blood pressure up. It sounds like you handled it perfectly. That old man is probably still sitting at home grumbling to himself. lol

Thanks Tony. :) Now if only I could have a hunt like one of your awesome hunts! :smitten: :happydance01:

As for the dog owner... people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :rolleyes:

Ill Digger
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
I knew I should not have posted that story but Angel told me I had to lol rofl
<} Thata boy Angel! :clapping:
Believe me Ang, you ain't the first one to fall down and get dirty. And I'm sure you won't be the last \:hammer: lol
We can start calling you Angie-iana Jones! You didn't hurt the machine did you? :eyebrow:........ lol

starman2
02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
:clapping: :clapping:! Congrats on the silver, and other goodies! WTG! |:cheering:

del
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
theres never a dull moment when listening to one of your adventures Angie lol lol Angie M.D. = Mud Doctor :poke: :poke: i can certainly relate to some of that and although it probably wasn't funny when it happened as some of my exploits , we can learn to look back and laugh at them now . ;) glad your alright from the slip. congrats on the mercs and very nice to see you unearth a seated :perfect10: :perfect10: . the button is a enigma , i can't make out the crest very well but the reverse being a very rusty one tells me it isn't too old of a two piece . maybe as early as 1900 but i think its off a blazer or jacket within the last 40 years or so . i hope you get some more time to rest up before your next endevor :grin:

Dan

Merc
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Even after cutting the hunt short you still did great, and your Ok from sliding in the mud. Win Win in my book.

MassDirtFisher
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Way to go, Its been to long since I found some seated coins. You scored huge, mercs, seated, IH's, ...Those are the best hunts. It bothers me when people assume were digging holes, we are not using grammas shovel anymore..we are like dirt surgeons. Im glad you stood your ground. People can be Ignorant sometimes. But, anyway Congrats on a great hunt!!! Happy Hunting!!

pulltabsteve
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Playing in the mud again :rolleyes: Sweet finds |:cheering: You must have looked like a homeless person when you were checking in :grin: Hope the ankle is feeling better.

Cheap Thrills
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Hopefully the old crank dog owner slips and falls face first into a pile of just desserts .
Good to see that you got out and made some great finds . I've had a few hunts over the years where I thought I was going to go have to unleash the wrath on some dummies . You handled it well .

jkress
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Nice post. lol I can picture it now. rofl

Great bunch of silver Angie. :clapping: Definitely worth rolling around in the mud for. :yes:
The Mercs are a nice score, but it's happy dance time when Seateds show up. :happydance01:

Hope your ankle is feeling better. :)

CyberSage
02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
O.K Angie, either mud wrestling, or metal detecting. Make up your mind. You can't do both at the same time though. lol How wonderful to get a Seated on your hunt! :smitten: Congratulations on all the silver. I am glad the planets aligned, and you could get out for a hunt. :cheering:
Sorry that man hassled you. Some people just don't understand. I had a complaint filed on me this last weekend, and was approached by an officer. I had permission of course, and even got some local history from him. He said, not to worry, and left me to hunt. So I guess we just try harder to educated the public. I think you handled it great! :cool:

Jack

milco
02-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice hunt! Yup, done that before too, down a hill in the early spring and busted a piece of the detector I was carrying, ugh!

Bell-Two
02-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the story Angie, I could just visualise your mud ride rofl I hope the ankle is better, nice finds go a long way to assuage our pains that is for sure. Dog guy was rather rude but you handled it like a mature person should. Keep your stories coming I always enjoy them.

Fire Fighter 43
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Great story Angie!! Congrats on the silver and a nice hunt. |:cheering:

mike l
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Nice hunt Angie, hope you are o.k after your 50 foot slide :-\. Looks like it was worth it :beerbuddy:

Dinger51
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
I told him that I had a piece of paper signed by the city's parks and recreation department allowing me to dig holes. Then I asked him if he had a similarly signed piece of paper allowing his dog to run without a leash and jump on unsuspecting people. :rolleyes: He walked away. lol :cheesysmile:

AWESOME!!!! |:cheering:

RobW
02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice scores! :clapping:

coop
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Sweet thumbsup01