PDA

View Full Version : A first for me....

Dinger51
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Went out for my first hunt of 2012. Took my Etrac to a old house I was at a couple times with my MXT. I wanted to see if there was anything left. I couldn't believe a Barber Quarter would pop out of the hole. I reached for my camera to shoot some video and found that it didn't make it through the winter. So, I need to get a new camera, but traded it for a BQ. I will take it. Love this Winter

Tony Two-Cent
02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
That's a great find, Dinger! I love Barber Quarters! :smitten:

Very good results for your first hunt of the year! Sorry about your camera, but a Barber Quarter definitely helps to make up for that.

Congrats on the terrific find! :clapping:

Dinger51
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks Tony.

It was a very strange signal. Lost the threshold all around the signal and thought it was going to be iron. I am still confused on some signals and what to dig. I know I should dig everything, but I am most confused about the high pitched sounds that always seem to be some type of Iron...

Also,

sometimes my clad Washington Quarters are showing me 49/50. I thought I was going to dig a half and ended up pulling out a 1982 Washington. Is there a setting that will help me out with this?

aloldstuff
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Dinger, thanks for posting. I will never get tired of reading abut Barbers pulled from the ground. Huge congrats.

Epi-hunter
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
That is a beautiful barber quarter!!! :perfect10: :perfect10:

In my experience with silver halves (that phrase is unfortunately almost an oxymoron 8/ ) the CO number will be about the same as that of a silver quarter (47-48) but the FE number will be lower (1-5 instead of 11-12). In fact the standard E-Trac coin program dics's out half dollars so you have to make the adjustment.

Ill Digger
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I reached for my camera to shoot some video and found that it didn't make it through the winter.

:huh: I was wondering why your video was like that. Bummer about the camera. You just got that camera last spring didn't you? :huh:
But like you said....Oh well! :dontknow: Barber Quarter baby!! <: happydance02 :peace: Cameras are alot easier to come by. lol
Sweet find thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
You might want to go over the whole place again :yes: ;)

Dinger51
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
That is a beautiful barber quarter!!! :perfect10: :perfect10:

In my experience with silver halves (that phrase is unfortunately almost an oxymoron 8/ ) the CO number will be about the same as that of a silver quarter (47-48) but the FE number will be lower (1-5 instead of 11-12). In fact the standard E-Trac coin program dics's out half dollars so you have to make the adjustment.

Thanks Epi,

Yes, I opened the screen up to accept the Halves. When I first got my machine, I was testing it and when it came time for the Halves I was upset because I thought it was broke. After a little research and working with the emulator, I felt kinda dumb and changed it.

angellionel
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
There is just something about seeing a Barber quarter in the hole that gets the adrenaline rushing. lol It is a sweet old one too. Very nice dig! thumbsup01

Dinger51
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
:huh: I was wondering why your video was like that. Bummer about the camera. You just got that camera last spring didn't you? :huh:
But like you said....Oh well! :dontknow: Barber Quarter baby!! <: happydance02 :peace: Cameras are alot easier to come by. lol
Sweet find thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:
You might want to go over the whole place again :yes: ;)

Thanks Tim. I was pretty excited and wanted to share with everyone. I will be off to ebay this week looking for a new one.

Ill Digger
02-27-2012, 12:08 PM
It was a very strange signal. Lost the threshold all around the signal and thought it was going to be iron. I am still confused on some signals and what to dig. I know I should dig everything, but I am most confused about the high pitched sounds that always seem to be some type of Iron... I know exactly what your talking about. And here's how you check it. When you hear that high pitched tone we all want to hear all the time :drool: lol Make a mental note of where you think the target should be by the way it's reporting on each swing. Then while in pin point, if the machine drags you over to one side or the other of the initial place you suspected it to be, it's usually iron. Same thing...imagine were you think it should be, then turn 90° to it and swing over it slowly. If it's just a null it's a piece of iron. If it starts to sound better or still skweek.... DIG MAN DIG! :yes: thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Congrats on the nice Barber Quarter .

Fire Fighter 43
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Congrats on your first Barber quarter WTG |:cheering:

CODY
03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey, that is one sweet Barber! :perfect10: Love the Barbers! :loveit: Gotta be the best looking coin ever minted. Congrats on a great find. |:cheering: HH

jkress
03-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Now that's a great way to kick off 2012. :clapping:
I love it when a Barber quarter comes out of the ground. :smitten:
Congrats Dinger51.

Snapolson
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Beautiful Barber!! Congrats! :peace:

POKIE73
03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
congrats on the barber they are one of the best looking coins out there to be found dennis

Dinger51
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the comments and tips. Tim, I used your tip yesterday at an old house and walked away from 3 spots. I did find clad, 3 Wheaties and a 64 Rosy The Rosy had 2 nails in the same hole. I swear I hear the Etrac talking to me :yes: Remember I am still a greenhorn (new term I have been using due to too much reality t.v.) with the Etrac. I have permission to hunt 7 old houses in town all dated back to 1850's. I am sure that these places will be square nail heaven. Pretty confident in the machine now....

Jason in Enid
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Congrats on the Barber quarter! It's a great find. I love the way they look, such a great coin and such a great feeling to pull out of the hole and hold in your hand again.

Keep em coming!