PDA

View Full Version : 1754 foundation

skrapman
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Last month I was searching for an early foundation, and found only a depression in the ground.There were no foundation stones at all,so either someone re-used every one or the house was a log cabin built entirely on wood. I still wasn't positive I had the right
spot until 15 min later when I started digging hand forged nails. There wasn't much around the hole but up behind it I started
finding all the keepers. The highlite of the hunt was when I dug a large frock button and then heard another signal beside it.Out
came an early silver cuff link, it has an etched pattern on the front.I had to text my hunting buddy( he was supposed to come with
me but had car troubles)colonial silver. Then a few targets later I had an 82 on my screen but what a job digging it.It was under a
large root mass but on top of a stone. Finally out popped my first Mass cent 1788. <: All the targets were 6-8 inches and pretty much in one area so I changed to all metal mode which I rarely do 8/ then i found these scissor which took 5 days on the
electrolosis then a wire wheel. I coated them with loctite rust neutralizer. the 1864 bank 0f upper canada <;) was found in the
same area on a old road that led to the next cellar hole 1/2 mile away. I wonder how much cool iron stuff I skipped over because
I really don't hunt specifically for it. It was easier to clean than most non ferrous items. when I go back I will take some photo's of the hole, I was thinking of removing all the brush and branches I threw in the cellar hole so I could detect the entire area then
sifting the dirt in the hole.Has anyone ever done that with good results?. So far Drew your spot on, relic hunting year round .how
sweet is that. This foundation was on a original map for the first land grant in this town. 1754 I recall. thanks everyone, mike

jkress
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
:shocked04: What an incredible place to hunt. :drool: :drool: :drool:

The 1788 Copper is a fantastic piece of history. :clapping: It is in beautiful shape too. :smitten:
You pulled lots of great keepers. But the 1788 is off the charts. :happydance01:

Fire Fighter 43
02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
:wow: what a great hunt, Congrats on some fantastic finds |:cheering:

MassDirtFisher
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Congrats, your Mass Copper looks alot better than my toasted one. Sweet finds!! Happy Hunting!!

sniffy
02-28-2012, 04:53 AM
SUPER nice MA cent....and what an awesome pair of silver cuff links! I'd say it'd be worth checkin that spot out a few more times

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-28-2012, 08:53 AM
wow! the coins are sweet! the cufflink is super sweet! and the shears came out awesome! great job dude!

Toadman
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
That's a holy cow droppings hunt for sure !!! :perfect10: |:cheering: <: :happydance01: happydance02

fsa46
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Talk about hitting it out of the park....what an AWESOME hunt.

Some sweet finds indeed . Nice detail on the MA copper :smitten: and the silver cuff links speak for themselves. I'd be camped out at that spot for quite some time with finds like that.

del
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
congrats on the great relics , silver cuff-link and the Mass cent . unfortunately the picture is just a bit to dark for me to positively id which variety by the details but it looks like a great example .

Dan

aloldstuff
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
What a fantastic group of keepers. That copper is in great shape, the shears came out beautiful and those cufflinks WOW. Congrats on your finds

skrapman
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
congrats on the great relics , silver cuff-link and the Mass cent . unfortunately the picture is just a bit to dark for me to positively id which variety by the details but it looks like a great example .

Dan
Hi Dan, I tilted the coin at an angle so i wouldn't block the light with the camera. Hope this helps. Thanks for your attention.
Mike.

skrapman
02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
How about I send both sides 8/

skrapman
02-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks all for your comments, This foundation was a dream hunt.I still haven't hunted the surrounding fields even though there is
stone walls, it is very rocky and uneven terrain I dont know if they were planted or hay fields.(no signs of a barn foundation) I will
bring some markers and grid off each field. If there is a silver coin you can bet it's old. Next time I go I will bring my camera. Also
when the road thaws out, that is prime hunting ground. I'm sure my buddies truck will be running fine next time mike

del
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
hey Mike , the coin looks to be a Ryder 12-M Variety , i'm not 100% on it since the coin a has a major plachet flaw ( not uncommon to these coins) running down the middle of the Indian side and really wipes out a lot of the clues to the front . the Ryder 12-M has a URS-9 rarity rating (125 - 249 ) known and is listed as a common type

link to some of the varieties
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_coppers/1788_ma_cents/1788_ma_cents_by_variety.htm

and heres a pictures of your type .

Dan

angellionel
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Awesome looking MA copper! :smitten: I would be at that place again in no time. lol Great job pulling those oldies from the ground. :clapping: Don't forget, we will be looking for photos for next year's calendar, so keep taking those nice shots. :yes:

Epi-hunter
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow... those are just amazing finds!!! :shocked04: :clapping: I love the copper but they are all terrific! :perfect10: :perfect10: Thanks for sharing!!!

Tony Two-Cent
03-01-2012, 09:40 PM
What an incredible hunt! :omg:

I absolutely LOVE the silver cufflink! :loveit: What a beautiful piece with great engraving on it.

That MA Copper is spectacular too! Wow, what a beautiful coin! And so historic! |:confused:)

Congrats on the amazing finds! :clapping:

CODY
03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
:wow: Some very nice finds. :perfect10: Congrats |:cheering: