PDA

View Full Version : I have a plan! (or NOT)

FatNakedGuy
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
So there I was yesterday with a hot tip that fell into my lap. A hugely popular beach in the 1800s that no one visits anymore..

I happened to have the detector in the car so off I go on a whim.. woohoo!

Get there and find out that I'll have to do some mountain climbing... no problem.. grab the gear and roll.. It's getting late in the day so I am only going to be there abit to test the ground..

A HUGE 6 foot waterpipe suddenly emerges and is in my way... The only way to my destination is over the pipe.. hmmmm.. There is a branch I can grab and I make my fatarse way up and over........and keep on going right over into a swamp that I didn't see (covered with catskills/etc). SPLASH and nastiness up to my waist..ewwwwww.. at least I found out my boots really weren't waterproof..

First thought... is the detector OK?!?! dang.. it's under water.. Didn't think about the slippery substance oozing down my face.. guess that branch caught me good on the way down and I looked like Gene Simmons. 1 higher and it would have to start wearing an eyepatch.. PIRATE!

As I'm standing in the goo I start to realize the etrac might come sooner rather than later... and perhaps I'll switch that to a waterproof unit instead (i've got my priorities, right?)

It started dawning on me about the complete lack of preparedness upon my part... didn't let anyone know where I was headed to, no medical kit, no water/food, cell phone also drowned and not in a plastic baggy... wow... I made all the mistakes I could have possibly made... oh, and didn't have rope to get back over that pipe on the way home.. used the detector as a sort of crutch to step up on.. now it's reaaaaally tweaked.

I survived but it sure was an eye-opener (literally almost). Please don't make the same mistakes I did.

p.s. anyone want to buy a hugely tweaked and somewhat stinky Whites XLT?

rsarge1
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
:frozen: wow sounds like it would have been easier to get to by boat or parachute lol hope your machine is ok cause im sure you will try again lol :confused: :confused:

del
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
sorry to hear of your ordeal and the loss of your machine . my number one priority is to hunt with someone for a lot of reasons but safety is the main one . knowing the location is a huge plus and how accesible it will be , glad your ok and hope you get another try at that place .

Dan

Epi-hunter
02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Wow, that could have ended badly! :blackeye: :stretcher: (Obviously it did end badly for the XLT, but I meant for you!) Glad you are okay! Thanks for the reminder -- I live alone (with my kids half the time but only detect when they are with their dad) and no one ever knows where I'm going when I leave on detecting trips. It pays to be safe!

aloldstuff
02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow the horror metal detecting story. Really glad to hear that you made out in semi decent shape, and sorry to hear about your XLT. Thanks for posting this and I hope all who read it can learn from it.

Fire Fighter 43
03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Man that is rough, glad to hear you are OK.