PDA

View Full Version : Ran the Sunray X 8 Stealth coil on the ET today, nice!

Jack Flynn
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Ran the X 8 coil from Sunray on my E Trac today. I like it a lot. Here's some of the characteristics I really liked. BTW, I didn't know different coils from another manufacturer changed the way a target sounds? It had very clear sharp tones compared to the Pro coil. Pinpoint was dead on as it should be. Here's a part I didn't know either. I ran the coil in auto +3 and the the sensitivity with the smaller coil would run up to 26 or 27 and no crackling negative feedback at all. With that coil on I switched over to manual sensitivity and put it at max and the machine was quiet and hitting at superb depths like the Pro coil. Now I'm guessing that maybe a reason why the coil was so quiet is because being smaller it was seeing less area.....maybe.....I don't know. Different manufacturer, I still don't know. The warbles were smooth as you could ever want them to be. A pulltab had the very audible slight swing in the middle of the slow swing. Something I was hearing with the pro coil just was scratchy for a better way of describing the sound when a pulltab was found, a good tone but a little extra added sound? I hit an 3/16 inch brass button or snap off of some military uniform looks like at 10 inches with the coil, it was loud and clear too. More later I'm headed out to hunt some more. I'm tickled!

OkieDigger
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Sounds great. I really haven't heard a whole lot of negatives about aftermarket Minelab coils. I do wish Minelab would offer a 7 Pro coil with the E-Trac. Not that there's anything wrong with my SEF mind you.

If you recall, on the other forum I had mentioned that sounds seemed quieter when using my 6x8 SEF coil. Didn't notice any difference in the ability to push the manual any higher than I could with the Pro coil. I used them both at the same site to see the differences.

Jack Flynn
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
The sound level is the same just a lot cleaner crisper sound. If someone can explain that to me please do so. I do like being able to run the sensitivity full throttle on the smaller coil. :twirlingeyes:

Epi-hunter
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info Jack! I have three SunRay coils... the 5 sniper, as well as the 8 and 12. I'll have to give them a try. I like the Pro coil so much though, it might be hard ;)

Jack Flynn
11-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Give that 8 a try! I really don't know why but it definately has a sharper crisper sound to it. I've got an Sunray X 12 on the way and cannot wait to give it a try. Got some wide open places to put it to good use.