PDA

View Full Version : Coins in Iron I - A short Video

earthmansurfer
02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
I got some great footage of some coins in iron and here is one of them. Less than 3 minutes long.

Here I dug a smaller coin in fairly heavy iron at 8. You can really see the Fe numbers CONSISTENTLY stay down, at least from one angle. Don't pass up those Fe numbers in the 20's - investigate them from different angles. Also, I try out TTF and it really improved the signal - it gave a more consistent high tone and yet showed the iron right next to the target. Clearly the iron (and not iron mineralization) was pulling the numbers down, as you can see from the wide pinpoint imo.)

Considering that this coin was in heavier iron than most that I have dug and that TTF gave a better signal, I am now looking at TTF with new appreciation. I was afraid of missing deeper coins in TTF due to the lower Fe numbers but that wasn't true here. Also, the pinpoint was totally thrown off by the iron (and perhaps trash) so be careful with pinpoint or even quick mask dropping Fe numbers (due to iron).

I edited this to be educational, so there is a fair amount of subtitles to point out some observations. I truly got a lot out this myself from watching and listening again.

Enjoy,
EMS

ps - watch it in fullscreen at 480 resolution.

E-Trac - Coins in Iron I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Go5twhtY#ws)

randy
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Nice video |:cheering: It would be interesting to try the first program with Fast On to see if you get less TID blending. I usually run Fast Off, but when I get one like that, switch it and sometimes get better separation. Then I go into TTF for a third opinion. Works just like in the video thumbsup01

I'm also curious if you are running Response Long on the first program (was hard for me to tell)?

earthmansurfer
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Randy - You brought up a great point and what that I had been avoiding since I switched from recovery fast on to recovery fast off. Now that I have picked the easier coins from this spot, I am starting to find the harder targets, like in this video. Now recovery fast on might be the way to go. And I hadn't thought of the mixing VID's as much as just better separation, but perhaps what you say is this indeed!

I will definitely play with fast on when the target ID is blending as you so nicely put it, next time.

Really, this is the FIRST time, much less video, where TTF was better than conductive (at least from one angle anyway.) So I have some thinking to do. I really really thought that TTF would lose these lower Fe coins in iron and yet they seem to almost process them differently. I have to check, but don't think I had recovery fast on in TTF.

I haven't run long, in well, a looooong time. It was just to hard for me to do, but now with the increase in iron, I might revisit it as well as the pitch hold tone setting.
But, just so you know, if I had long on, you'd still be hearing it! rofl It is really obvious, I think I was just sweeping slower and the E-Trac, unlike any machine I have ever run, almost sounds like a micro all metal mode when swung slow, know what I mean? (Very hard to describe).

Thanks for your reply, it got me thinking,
Albert

Fire Fighter 43
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Nice video thanks for taking the time to put it together and posting it.

earthmansurfer
03-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Most welcome.

Here is another worth target at 7 from the same hunt.

Coins in Iron II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-zJ-6g-70#ws)

earthmansurfer
03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, since this thread is still here I'll just post what I think is my best video yet of the E-Trac in iron.

This is the best example I have filmed yet of Quick mask dropping a coin to the lower right corner due to co-located iron. Basically, the iron is overpowering the coin signal imo and you can observe this by the jumpiness (which I mention as it happens). I am using the 6X8 SEF coil.

It is also my best example of recovery fast assisting the VID/Crosshairs in pulling a coin out of heavier iron. I had tested switching from recovery fast off to on in prior hunts and there was almost always no difference, but now as I hunt deeper into the iron (after removing the easier signals), I can CLEARLY see that recovery fast on has its benefits (even though I found the coin with it off).

We take a look at TTF on the target as well. Again, benefit is shown here.

The video is completed by checking the ground after the target was removed and showing the higher iron level in TTF.

I'd love to hear your stories, experiences, opinions and such,
Let's learn,
Albert

ps - I shot the video in better quality and think the upload is better than those in the past. So, click on 480 so you can see the screen better.

Coins in Iron III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUJ8nDuU9t8#ws)

earthmansurfer
03-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Finally got some gold :happydance01:

Coins-Gold in Iron IV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=294kf0aYXOY#ws)

randy
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Another sweet video :clapping: Have you confirmed the ring as gold?

earthmansurfer
03-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Another sweet video :clapping: Have you confirmed the ring as gold?

Not through a jeweler but 333 is 33% in Europe, or 8k. Which is so bad it's not sold in the States! Anyway, it's worth around $90 in melt value but I'll wait to sell it as I'm calling gold to $3000. (And have been since it was at $300 ounce.)