PDA

View Full Version : Getting REAL close.

hoser
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
We really dodged the bullet this year as far as heavy snow. Now we are getting into some warmer weather and MAYBE I will be able to take the new Etrac out for it maiden voyage. I have been reading both the owners manual and Andy's book but it will take getting out with the machine to fully grasp what I have been reading. I'm one of those types that can read something twenty times and may or may not get an understanding of what I just read. BUT! show me one time and its locked in forever. I was told to use the coin mode that is preprogrammed in the machine to get the feel of things before I start tweaking things. After using the DFX for so long this will take a little getting used to I would suspect. I'm just thankful I have a place like this to come to for answers. thumbsup01 I might even do a little snow hunting this weekend. :drool:

coinnut
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey hoser, Just remember that coin program discriminates out silver dollars as well as half dollars and probably multiple large silver coins too. You can edit that part out if you want or I just use quick mask with FE 31-35 lines discriminated out. But the coin program is a good one to start with except for that glitch. I used the DFX since it came out and have been a White's user since the early 70's. It is a different animal lol If you remember just these two things, you will do fine. Learn to go slow, and trust the tones. You will dig some junk, but you will learn a lot. Good luck and I can't wait to see how you like it.

del
03-02-2010, 01:26 PM
i'll be watching your posts as well Hoser , as a Dfx user myself and as you i'm a hands on learner too rather than reading it type so i'm curious as to how you'll do and how quickly you pick it up. i will wish ya the best and hope your learning curve is a very short one .

Dan

Beefcake
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
We got our taxes direct deposited and there was $1,530 more than expected... We called our tax guy and he said it was right...Wooohoo!, he found a credit for us and was so busy in the last couple of weeks that he forgot to call us... Looks like the perfect amount for a new E-trac... Now to find the best deal....any suggestions, is it better to go with a package from like Kellyco with the extras, or does anyone know of any sweet deals? I'd hate to pay the full price for one and get no extras in the process.. Hopefully I'll be joining you soon Hoser!!!

coinnut
03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Yeeeeehawwwww for you lol That kind of surprise is real nice!! I would look over some dealers in addition to Kellyco. Decide on what you want as extras and ask them to put that deal together for you. I usually refuse any of the junk stuff they like to offer. My preferences are Nice headphones - I have the Gray Ghost (deep woods), In line probe (X-1), and extra rechargable battery (theirs take forever to charge lol). You won't need any smaller coils since that Pro coil separates beautifully. The only other big ticket item I want to try is a 12 x 15 SEF coil for those deep field finds. If you get it you will love it. You will have to love it, cause you just spent $1500.00+ on it rofl

Epi-hunter
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Hoser, I hope you get out with that new machine soon! I'm really looking forward to hearing your report on it. Hang in there... you will do great! Andy's book really does help.

And Brian, that is great news! How come that never happens to me? :confused: :-\ But it's just the perfect amount for an E-trac. ;) I think you are going to love the E-Trac :)

hoser
03-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Brian thats great news buddy. Course you know once you get it you will have to come up here and do some hunting. lol I got mine for $1350.00 with the Koss headphones a pouch and the Minelab digger. Here is the site I went to. They were great to work with, and I know they would help you out a bunch. http://theminelabstore.com/

Beefcake
03-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm happy with the package I got with all the goodies... During the summer it would be neat to meet up again. I still have my DFX, so I'll be going at least for one day to the DFXonly hunt... My brother is stoked...he gets to use my DFX now... I still have to teach him how to use it though.

hoser
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Good for you buddy. I was wondering if you was planning on going to the DFX hunt. I will sure miss that. I always had a great time and met some awesome folks too. Now don't get confused and show up with the ETrac. :shocked04: :tongue: rofl Although that would be fun to watch. :drool: lol

Beefcake
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
It's a totally different animal this E-trac. Almost an opposite setup as the DFX. I can't wait to get this machine down so I can get some good stuff.

hoser
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
You bet buddy. Its an awesome machine. And yes it is different than using the DFX thats for sure. I'm still having a wee bit of trouble breaking myself from the DFX mentality. But it WILL come I just know it.