PDA

View Full Version : Good signal no pinpoint

kickit
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi all, desperately trying to learn my V3i which has really been a move up and a challenge from my old Classic III...I'm getting strong VDI signals of 83 but when I try to pinpoint I get no pinpoint signal, I've tried lowering the Rx Gain but still have the same response. Any ideas?
Thanks

CyberSage
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
kickit,
Just a few questions for you. Are the 83 VDI hits consistent from different angles? What depth is the V3i telling you the targets are at? One of the most common causes when you are starting out with pinpointing on the V3i is not having the coil far enough away from the target when squeezing the pinpoint trigger. Move the coil to the side about 12 to 15 inches, then squeeze the trigger. While a freshly buried coin is not always a good practice target in motion mode, it does work really well for pinpoint practice. Bury a Quarter at 5 or 6 inches, and try pinpointing it. What response do you get? How does it compare to the phantom 83 VDI hits that are troubling you?

Jack

rsarge1
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
another thing to check is make sure your vco is turned on, this comes turned off from the factory and will help you a lot while pinpointing, hope this helps
sarge

kickit
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I did have the VCO on but have been playing with the different settings so I might have accidentally turned it off so I will check. The 83 VDI didn't appear to be as strong from other angles so I suspected something was wrong but I thought if it was iron I would still get a pinpoint. The pinpoint doesn't move at all. I will continue to play with it to see what happens.

kickit
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
sarge, I checked the VCO and yep it was off. Not sure what it means which the manual had an acronym listing with definitions, I know you all know the V3i in and out but the only detector I used was a Classic III and you didn't need acronyms! Oh well we will figure it out probably later than sooner. Ha

rsarge1
03-02-2012, 02:00 PM
great <: glad it was an easy fix , now go get some treasure to show us lol

MartinL
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I have personally found it best to move the coil half a coils width or a little more off to the side and then PP-trigger. If you are using the 10 coil, you may need fore than half. I had the same problems and I think that I musta been going too far and nulling over trash. Takes a little practice and technique. It depends a lot on the trashy-ness too. Try the PPing like this from different angles...it will hit somewhere, sneak up on it. martin

kickit
03-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Okay Martin, thanks for the tip, I will try your suggestion.