PDA

View Full Version : 1600s?

OxShoeDrew
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
On the internet I found a new hole that is within a half mile of where Merc and I found all kinds of keepers. I found the KG 2 counterfeit, the barber half, many wheats, clokers, seated dime, barber dimes, etc. Merc found a 1730 copper (bronze?), mercury dime, etc.
Today there was just enough snow to hamper the effort and not a lot of time to really explore. We found a place were there was a lot of walls but no hole. The walls were so nice that we decided to hunt. I found the attached tombac and what I think is a 1600s cow bell. I thought it was my first crotal bell piece. Can anyone confirm it to be a really old cow bell? I can't find a foundry.
We finally found the hole when we both wanted to leave. We'll be back sunday when the rain melts some of the snow. Sorry for the file size.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-02-2012, 09:23 PM
nice finds. some potential right there! |:cheering:

skrapman
03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
nice find Drew, somewhere in my attic I have a magazine that shows crotal bells and their marks.I will look for it tomorrow to see if
it can help. I will let you know. mike |:cheering:

CODY
03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Nice finds, can't wait to see whats next. Good luck and HH |:cheering:

new jersey andy
03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Awesome finds Drew..... Congrats!!!

del
03-03-2012, 01:08 AM
the crotal bell piece is made of cast brass as most are but it doesn't look to old (mid 1800's) from the design (flower petal design was a common decoration) , Drew heres a few links to help with the research on determining the age . these were already in the
Ye olde Relic Hunters Resource Guide thats stickied at the top of the relics forum board

http://www.classicbells.com/info/BellDesign.htm

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/B/bells.htm

Sunday is suppost to be nice unfortunately i'm forced to get out saturday in the rain but it won't deter me , best of luck to you and brandon.

OxShoeDrew
03-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks ...yeah Dan, that Colchester website is what made me think it was older than I suspected....and the reason I posted it. There are a few bells on that page that have the same design but with different letters between the two small circles. Each one is listed as 17th century. I thought it (and they) have at least an 18th or 19th century look to them. But I'm no bell expert even though I can play a mean glockenspiel lol
Also-there wasn't many people in the area in the 1600s.
EDIT- Dan you are spot on , as usual. I found an N foundry mark. There was a North family making bells in New Britain from 1800-1850ish.

Merc
03-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Nice stuff Drew. Maybe Sunday you can find the rest of the bell.

sniffy
03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
I think there's gonna be some silver lurking around.

aloldstuff
03-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Nice recovery. Hopefully the snow will be melted by the rain and warm temps of Sat. Looking forward to your finds from that hole.

Fire Fighter 43
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Nice find and good luck with the return trips. |:cheering: