PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

aloldstuff
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
reading the thread in Metal Detecting Tips about some batteries, I have a question. On my rechargable pack for the V3i it seems that the most I can get voltage wise is 11.2V. Is this a normal voltage for this battery pack? I can usually get about 4 hours of detecting time from the charge, again is this the norm? I do have some NiMH batteries, for my camera and headphones, was wondering if I purchased some more and put them in the other battery pack would that increase the voltage. I am believing that the better the voltage the better this machine works. I don't do electricity as I can get shocked putting batteries ina flashlight.

Opinions sought..............

del
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
hey Al do you have the nicad or nimh battery for your machine ??

aloldstuff
03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
hey Al do you have the nicad or nimh battery for your machine ??

Del, I have the nimh pack

skrapman
03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
On my DFX it uses the NiCad batteries, I just replaced my original re-chargable battery pack after 4 years of use. My new pack
will run for 2 hunts about 5 hrs each. I dont use the back light unless beach hunting at low tide. I get 12.7 volts with a full charge.
I would guess your machine has a color display and I suppose it would require more juice to run the screen. My old pack barely
lasted 4 hrs before it hit 8.5 volts although the lower volts did not effect performance. at 8.5 my machine would get ready to shut
down. I always carry a spare battery pack with regular alkaline batteries. It is a very cost effective insurance. hope this helps
a little.

del
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
that sounds pretty normal as i hear the v3i can drain those packs pretty good , they will last longer on the dfx . you should see my tdi at work on those packs , you can almost hear the power being sucked out of them lol lol your lucky to get two to three hours out of a fully charged one.

i've been using this brand that our sponsor Andrew at New England Detectors sells , i can get a whole days worth of detecting on my tdi just from a 2 hour charge or i can get about 35 hours on my dfx from one charging , the unit is also noticeably lighter than the regular packs .

AW-2200 Lithium Ion Battery for Whites metal detectors. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TFlUn04_MI#ws)

aloldstuff
03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Del, I just got off the phone with Andrew from New England Detectors and have ordered the AW-2200. After reading the reviews I feel that this battery is just what I need. Thanks for the advise

Al

JTGOLD
03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
you should check out the NiZn rechargeable AA battries they are 1.6 volts and at full charge thay will read 14 .0 volts and I have been useing them for a year now.In my M6 they will last for 3 to 4 months on one charge,the higher voltage will not hurt your machine, check it out at ..everydaygreen.com..
or call 1 312 781 0045 that is in chicago Ill.

MartinL
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
you should check out the NiZn rechargeable AA battries they are 1.6 volts and at full charge thay will read 14 .0 volts and I have been useing them for a year now.In my M6 they will last for 3 to 4 months on one charge,the higher voltage will not hurt your machine, check it out at ..everydaygreen.com..
or call 1 312 781 0045 that is in chicago Ill.

How low in voltage do you let the NiZn pack go? Thanks. martin

aloldstuff
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
How low in voltage do you let the NiZn pack go? Thanks. martin

The reason I went with the Zi-ion battery was that I read if you let the NiZn drain then they are dead. I think it also said that if they get below a certain point then the charger does not recognize them. Might be wrong on that point (been reading so much on batteries). Nice to hear from you Martin, been finding anything lately??

MartinL
03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
The reason I went with the Zi-ion battery was that I read if you let the NiZn drain then they are dead. I think it also said that if they get below a certain point then the charger does not recognize them. Might be wrong on that point (been reading so much on batteries). Nice to hear from you Martin, been finding anything lately??

Best times I have had here in Texas with the V3i! An IH, 3 rings(never found one before) and highest daily coin count. Some tokens and interesting relics as well. The worm has turned. martin

aloldstuff
03-06-2012, 04:42 PM
WTG Martin, glad you are scoring some goodies

MartinL
03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Forgot to mention I found my first silver...a 1926 merc. martin

aloldstuff
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Forgot to mention I found my first silver...a 1926 merc. martin

My gosh Martin, how could you forget about your first merc :clapping: :wow:

MartinL
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
My gosh Martin, how could you forget about your first merc :clapping: :wow:

I'll make the question bigger,,,I counted the rings last night and I've found 6 total, not just three, all were cheapies. The three this weekend weren't the first. I somehow seem to forget my finds when alone, but get impressed when on group hunts. I hear and see others who have found many silvers on any given day and I guess my Merc seemed plain.

It's actually been a good month ;-) martin

aloldstuff
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Martin, most of my silvers come in singles, on a good day 2 or three but nothing like 5+. My very first post here I forgot to mention the 1899 V nickle which to me was just another V nickle as I had some already.

JTGOLD
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
checked the voltage and setting over the winter they were 4.7 and I put them in the chargers took almost 6 hours but they went back up to 14.0 so I'm ready for some hunting.a friend of mine uses them in his V3i and after 8 hours of hunting
they still read at 12.5 ..

TC-NM
03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
reading the thread in Metal Detecting Tips about some batteries, I have a question. On my rechargable pack for the V3i it seems that the most I can get voltage wise is 11.2V. Is this a normal voltage for this battery pack? I can usually get about 4 hours of detecting time from the charge, again is this the norm? I do have some NiMH batteries, for my camera and headphones, was wondering if I purchased some more and put them in the other battery pack would that increase the voltage. I am believing that the better the voltage the better this machine works. I don't do electricity as I can get shocked putting batteries ina flashlight.

Opinions sought..............

;) I run a V3 and get about 11.2 to 11.6 volts when I start detecting. I use the Whites rechargeable battery pack (orange label) and get about somewhere about 4 to 5 hours of use. If I was going to upgrade to Nimh, Lipo, or Zi-ion, always look at the the capacity or drain of the battery, in other words mAh (milliamp/hour). The higher the mAh, the longer you can stay detecting. I personaly have bought a set of 8-AA's rechargeable batteries (Nimh) from Ray-O-Vac with a mAh of 2700 and really like them. I can go out detecting 3 times with 4 hrs. each time. I switch off back to the Whites pack too. I think that there are batteries out there with higher mAh rating, but don't know? :dontknow:

I think Del has something there! thumbsup01

As Skrapman noted, best insurance is to take a spare battery pack. thumbsup01

Just a friendly note, keep the backlight setting on your V3i as low as you can but able to see and your TX boost {OFF} if you can. These two are the worst culpirts for battery drain.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck.

TC-NM

aloldstuff
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I like to run with tx boost on, I know it drains the batteries quicker but I get more depth. the back light I need to set lower. Thanks for the advise.

aloldstuff
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Received the AW-2200 battery from New England Detectors today at work. I immediatley charged the battery (took less than 2 hours). Once I had the green light I took it out to my car and put it in my detector. 12.55 volts, the most I have ever gotten from any battery. I will update with the hours used and voltage remaining. I would like to give a shout out to New England Detectors for providing a great price for this system. It also came with a car charger.

del
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Al , i think you'll be pretty impressed with this battery pack , i've had mine now for almost 6 months and no complaints at all.

Dan

aloldstuff
04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Al , i think you'll be pretty impressed with this battery pack , i've had mine now for almost 6 months and no complaints at all.

Dan

I already love the ease of getting it out of the detector.