PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning coins

Rob L
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I have a question about what most detectorist do to a coin after cleaning. A lot of coins that I see displayed here look as if they have been sprayed with a clear lacquer. If this is right, I would think that the lacquer would protect it and stop it from corroding. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

JTGOLD
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
don't think it is lacquer,I believe it is olive oil,that is what a lot of people use to soke there coins in to remove the hard to remove grime.

del
03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
a lot of hobbyists use somekind of coin or metal preserver like coin-care , verdi-care or even a little vaseline after their coin cleaning to keep the corosion from returning . i personally use either blue ribbon coin preserver (its been discontinued but i have quite a few bottles left) or i will brush on some renisance wax .

Dan

dave in iowa
08-29-2012, 03:24 PM
This what i use for cleaning coppers , this and q-tip, gets the dirt and brings out the detail...

Sal66
09-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Rob, I actually just ordered some of that wax del is talking about. I ordered it through Amazon.com. It's called Renaissiance Wax and is used professionally by the Royal Museums in the UK. It is very good for the spread of corrosion on copper and all other metals. It Supposedly cleans the coin slightly while you are polishing it. I am only using this an would only recommend using this on coins that you don't plan on getting graded. If you go to the website, it explains all the materials it can be used on. It is a very clear high grade wax and is to be used in small amounts. Why ? Because it's so expensive. I paid almost $17 for 2.5 oz's of this stuff. It also comes in a larger container for I think about $27. The Museums use it alot on Relics like swords and other metal items. It last a very long time and coats very clearly.
I'll keep you posted when I try it out. It should be in this coming week, but if del already has used it then ask him his opinion. We are friends and I didn't know he used it. Dan ! :bop: No wonder why your coins look so good. That's it, NO soup for you !!!!
Later. Sal

Sal66
09-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Hello everyone. Well, I got some of that Renaissance Wax TODAY. I tried it on a few Large Coppers and One Indian Head Penny. It's a very light wax in a very small tin jar.
I applied it to each coin SPARINGLY like it said with a very vey soft cloth buffing it as I applied it. I could tell this was a very high quality wax. What I didn't expect was that the coins except maybe the Copper IH, Bronze IH and Draped Bust would look only slightly different. I was expecting the Large Cents to have a glossier look, not so. The Indain heads and 1803 Draped bust do look alot better and have more of a polished look.
I think it's more of a wax than a polish . One thing is that The LG Cents are not real smooth to begin with. Maybe that's why the IH's and the Draped Bust LG Cent took on more of a shine. One thing I didn't do with the Regular Lg Cents is warm them up first. I think that might work better. I also think using a Thumb rather than a cloth might work better. REMEMBER, Large Cents have alot of Nooks & Crannies. I think it will be easier to reach those spots with a Thumb than a Cloth. It says right on the tin
can that it won't leave finger prints and it's true.

So, to sum things up : I recommend Heating up the Rough Surface coins either under a heated lamp or in the Sun first. Then apply with a Soft cloth, let sit and then Rub the Coin with fingers to polish the coin. The Cloth doesn't seem to get into the difficult areas when buffing.
On Smooth Coins I would recommend the same thing, but stick with the Cloth. My IH's and Draped Bust Large Cent look really nice with just enough shine that they don't look too shiny.

**** REMEMBER : DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU PLAN ON HAVING THE COIN GRADED!!!!
I HAVE SEEN COINS IN SLABS WITH THE WORD POLISHED ON THE LABEL, SO DON'T DO IT IF YOU WANT AN ACTUAL GRADE.
THESE ARE ALL COINS THAT ARE NOT GOING TO BE GRADED, THEY ARE ALL &quot:grin:UG' AND WILL REMAIN IN MY COLECTION.

I plan on trying the wax on a STEEL Penny and will give you my results with a before and after photo. I recommend cleaning Steel Pennies with Vinegar. It works very well and won't harm the coin. ONLY let them sit 20 minutes at a time rubbing off the Oxidation and Rust until they are cleaned off to where you feel no more will come off, then rinse with soapy water. You'll be amazed at the difference. IF THE WAX WORKS WELL ON THE COIN, THIS WILL BE THE TIME TO WAX IT AND BUFF IT BEFORE THE OXIDATION AND RUST COME BACK, AND BELIEVE ME THEY WILL COME BACK.
I'll post my results on the Steel Penny Tomarrow.
All in all, I say it's doing what it should be and that's protecting the Coins from further corrrosion.
I'll give an update tomarrow when I look at them in the sunlight, if we have any. You CT people know what I'm talking about.
:groovy: