PDA

View Full Version : Gold detecting in Idaho

kurt
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I have been invited to visit my cousin [both of us are retired |:confused:). I currently have used an E-trac and I am curious if they are effective in finding gold nuggets as they are finding coins. If they aren't can someone recommend a metal detector that would be suitable for idaho's soil conditions.

CODY
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Can't help you on that one. But please keep us updated on your hunt. I have always wanted to try nugget hunting. Good Luck & HH

JTGOLD
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
best of luck on nugget hunting,no gold in my state,bummer.and welcome to the forum.

Fire Fighter 43
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. I'm not sure how the Etrac will respond on nuggets. If you can afford a new machine I know they make detectors just for nugget hunting. Good Luck.

jkress
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Nice to have you here kurt. :clapping:
Sounds like you have a great time ahead of you. :yes: As Fire Fighter 43 has said, there are
incredible Minelab machines out there geared specifically for gold and nuggets.
Let us know how you do. :->

Epi-hunter
03-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Hey kurt, and welcome! :beerbuddy:

If I were specifically hunting for gold nuggets I would not pick an E-Trac. To repeat what several have said, if you are going to buy a detector specifically for gold, there are several made for just that. :yes:

del
03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
hello Kurt , welcome to the forum . the e-trac wll find gold but only down to a certain size , if you plan on nugget shooting you might want to look at other machines specifically designed to find it as small as the size of a pin head. machines like the minelab gpx series , the 4500 ,4800 and the 5000 are great machines but expensive . Whites have the GMT and the TDI pro and sl machines that do very well , then theres the Garret machines the scorpion gold stinger and the AT gold.

Dan

aloldstuff
03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
What everybody else said....welcome to the forum and please keep us posted. Nugget hunting is out of my territory (Mass) but its something I would love to do.

kurt
03-09-2012, 01:38 PM
My friend hunts with a White's V3i. And he has had trouble overcoming its learning curve. :confused: Would the White's machines you have suggested have a similar steep learning curve? With my e-trac, I just turned it on and started finding coins.
That said I stared my metal detecting career with a Garrett machine, then went to a White's coinmaster in the early 80's. By the mid 80's I was using Fisher machines. Then my two daughters were born :cheering:. Both just graduated from college and I have returned to the activity I love.

tanacat
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome from Kentucky! :groovy: :beerbuddy:

I'm envious that you guys are retired :envious: I have about 20 yrs to go lol

I'm a V3i user but want to try out the ETrac & perhaps get one... :yes: There are quite a few on this forum and boy do they pull out the deeeep silver :shocked04:stretcher:

kurt
03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Retirement is great. We hunt everyday it doesn't rain. As I stated earlier my friend has a V3i like you do. I have found silver and he hasn't. >:# Getting back to Idaho, if I put a smaller coil on my e-trac would that help finding smaller gold nuggets? And if the answer is yes, which coil would you recommend?

Epi-hunter
03-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Theoretically a smaller coil should be better, but I don't think you are going to find small gold nuggets with the E-Trac, no matter what coil you put on it, sorry to say :-\

Try doing an air test with some gold rings, gold chains, etc. The machine will find gold but it doesn't hit well at all on small gold in my experience. I also own the v3i (although much less experienced with it) but I think it does better on gold than the E-Trac. Still, I don't think a v3i would hit on small nuggets either. You really need a high frequency gold detector to find the smaller nuggets in my opinion.

kurt
03-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Hmmmmm. Now I am forced into a big decision...finish remodeling the half bath downstairs or buying another metal detector..... tough decision... :confused:

OxShoeDrew
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Kurt, did you go for the new detector?

kurt
03-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Not yet. Trip has been postponed until the Fall. Still researching.

williamsingr
03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
You may want to also check out the Fisher Gold BUg 2, thats all a buddy of mine will use for gold.

LIBear
04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum from Long Island NY