PDA

View Full Version : What is the key to deep coins

1147SILVER
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I wanted to get some insight on how to get those deeper etrac signals I have mastered the five inch coin targets and under I just need some help in finding the deep ones cause I know they are help me get them I need your help I have coil speed down well and I'm overlaping with the coil

RobW
03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Hope things have been good for you.

We all know Angel is the master of this!

My advice, and what I do...go slow (as you know)...watch your depth guage, listen for the weaker tones, they are softer and shorter

earthmansurfer
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Silver,

What is your soil like? Your question will vary from mild soil to mineralized soil I believe. But what Rob said, is generally true. I say generally because sometimes I find a faster swing to give a better signal, depends on you different factors and it's hard to account for them all. Definitely keep you coil scraping on the ground. The E-Trac is notorious for not liking an air gap between the coil and ground. Make sure you have good headphones, focus on the sounds. They are first. Be the sounds beep beep beep beep :yes: (Bit of a Caddy Shack joke in there. &quot:beerbuddy:e the ball...). Dig a lot of deeper signals, just to connect sounds with targets. Dig some two way or one way signals, see what they are. Pinpoint and feel those targets. Etc.

Note - I only have 100 hours, there are guys out there that are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than me, but I like to share, but find what works for you. This is in my ground and has been my experience.

My soil is iron mineralized and I look for the following:

1. Softer signal (if you have the volume gain down some, you have to play with this but lower to mid 20's seems to work well. But be careful going to low!)

2. I check the depth meter. To practice with deeper targets I have only been digging targets from the halfway point on down, on the depth meter.

3. Fe Bounce - In my ground the Fe numbers on coins below 6 or so, start to bounce to the mid 20's. In mild ground this is probably not as noticeable or perhaps not true, not sure.

4. Observe the 2D screen when investigating targets - The CO number is much much more consistent but does jump. Jack was nice enough to sticky my 2D screen and throw some cash my way. Read it at the top of this forum. (Ok, kidding about the money.) You question is hit upon there, to a point.

5. At depth it is very normal for coins to start to go into the iron range. Again, note #4 above. But it's safe to say that those coins don't remain at Fe 30-35 that I have seen. But, they can stay in the mid 20's at extreme depths. My neighbor was out with me last week with his ancient analog C-Scope. I had him check a signal I got - a bouncy 7 or so target. His needle was in the beginning of the iron range and he said iron. I told him what type of coin it was and I was right. The bouncy Fe number and relatively consistent CO number was my clue. Suffice to say he was shocked, but I explained what iron mineralization can do and had done to me for years.

Be careful if you run recovery fast on, as it clips signals and you are more likely to lose it. If your ground is clean you can run long sounds and that will help those deeper fringe targets to stand out to you. I just run sounds normal.

Well, if anything else comes to me I'll share it with you. But you might want to try what I did, just dig targets that are halfway down or more on the meter. Adjust your settings (as above) an dig targets. Play with the settings once you find a target - learn the machine, there is no rush. It's fun for me. I have a blast finding, playing with settings, on a 9 deep zinc coin, more so than on a 5 silver (though I take it all day long.)

Finding deeper coins is a bit of an art form for me, a specialty of sorts. It is now my passion. I don't know that I can find much below 10 in my soil, but it is still a blast and nice challenge.

Lastly, look at some of my videos on youtube. Here is one and you can see some of what I mean.

Enjoy,
Albert

E-Trac 8inch Coin - TTF vs. Conductive - Deep on Vs. off - Fast on Vs. off - Sheep? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oBfQRwMvNQ#)

Jason in Enid
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
1 - manual sensitivity
2- listen to tones and ignore the VDI
3- open up the pattern to accept FE numbers down into the 20's.
4- if it depth ID (in pinpoint mode) as being deep, then dig it, regardless of the VDI or tone.