PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying...

tanacat
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
these items:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6163.jpg

I'm pretty sure the long one is a crank for an old car-to wind and start it up :confused:

I'm thinking an old hoe? It's an odd shape though. It was buried pretty deep under roots of old tree- about 7 so it MUST be old right? :)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6167.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6175.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6176.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6177.jpg

del
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
hey Tanacat , from top left down it looks like a metal file , a hand tool of some kind ( possible hand or gardener's hoe ) the next is a wedge for splitting wood and the last almost looks like plumbing for a still :shocked04: :shocked04:

Dan

coinnut
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
and the last almost looks like plumbing for a still :shocked04: :shocked04:

Dan

I'll drink to that ;)

tanacat
03-05-2010, 01:25 AM
I'll drink to that ;)

;) Well maybe... Btw, thanks to Jimmy Carter we do it legally in our home now! Home brewing... mostly pale ales

tanacat
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
hey Tanacat , from top left down it looks like a metal file , a hand tool of some kind ( possible hand or gardener's hoe ) the next is a wedge for splitting wood and the last almost looks like plumbing for a still :shocked04: :shocked04:

Dan

Okay now it does bend... and the end is 4 sided. Still think it's for a still? lol

The wedge is extremely heavy. I did think it was for splitting wood! Are these things pretty common for the day or back in early 1900's? They were all buried pretty deep....

hoser
03-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Top left is definately a file. Middle left...unknown! the wedge looking thing looks a lot like a rock or stone wedge used to split stones for siding a home. I have no clue what the big one is.

tanacat
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Top left is definately a file. Middle left...unknown! the wedge looking thing looks a lot like a rock or stone wedge used to split stones for siding a home. I have no clue what the big one is.

Thanks! The file- I've seen before with wood handle, in my grandpa's workshop :cheesysmile: but never actually seen in use. When I first pulled out of ground, I imagined it having purpose to file horse hooves? Are they used for variety of materials- wood, metal- to sharpen tools? Just trying to expand my knowledge on files lol

del
03-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Okay now it does bend... and the end is 4 sided. Still think it's for a still? lol

The wedge is extremely heavy. I did think it was for splitting wood! Are these things pretty common for the day or back in early 1900's? They were all buried pretty deep....

well is the four sided thing solid like a metal rod or hollow like a pipe or tube :huh: :huh: if its like piping i still say still lol lol

the file should have wide teeth or grooves for wood or other and very close teeth for metal and you wedge could even be colonial as i have a few from around then and they haven't changed much in 200+ years .

Dan

tanacat
03-06-2010, 09:42 AM
well is the four sided thing solid like a metal rod or hollow like a pipe or tube :huh: :huh: if its like piping i still say still lol lol

No... it's not hollow/piping. I actually do think it's a crank for an old car. Well shoot, I thought I had dug up some real dirt on this guy lol I'm still suspicious though- the small buildings back there have wierd equipment and wierd smells.

del
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm still suspicious though- the small buildings back there have wierd equipment and wierd smells.

hey Tanacat , you sure one of the buildings you found isn't the outhouse lol lol

the strange object has me perplexed now. :confused: :confused:

tanacat
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
hey Tanacat , you sure one of the buildings you found isn't the outhouse lol lol

the strange object has me perplexed now. :confused: :confused:

rofl rofl rofl Oh I said something like it smells awful in there?

Well, that deputy seemed pretty sure of it's purpose. He pretended like he was winding up the car and all... at the end it's 4 sided (like a big ol square nail- I'm sure you can invision that :grin:) And it bends and there's supposed to be a wood handle at the other end. I've been meaning to google it. It could be worth a lot of moooola~! :drool: Vacation money, college funds, a summer home in Montana, yeah, yeah :yes:

Do you watch Antique Roadshow? Love it!

yazoo
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
I would say the hoe looking thing is a scraper,maybe a hand held for scraping animal hides . Yazoo

Lowjiber
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Regarding the crank thing...

I'm pretty sure it is a crank from a scissors jack from an old car or light pickup truck.

In the late 50's, I worked in a garage and remember several vehicles from the 40's and 50's that had a scissors jack for changing flat tires. The cranks resembled the one that you found. They folded for easier storage.

I'm including a picture of a modern one, but you get the idea.

tanacat
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I would say the hoe looking thing is a scraper,maybe a hand held for scraping animal hides . Yazoo

That's a good thought- I've never seen a hoe that shape, that's for sure...

Regarding the crank thing...

I'm pretty sure it is a crank from a scissors jack from an old car or light pickup truck.

In the late 50's, I worked in a garage and remember several vehicles from the 40's and 50's that had a scissors jack for changing flat tires. The cranks resembled the one that you found. They folded for easier storage.

I'm including a picture of a modern one, but you get the idea.

Yeah it's a lot bigger though- lol but most things get smaller/compact with time don't they (cell phones, computers, etc...) That gives me something to go by to do some more research. I love a good challenge. I'll go ahead and tell you- I'm wanting to write a short story on this guy, using what I find around his house to help tell his story.