PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to go on my 1st hunt today!

mitchreid2000
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
I live in Wisconsin and bought my 1st metal detector over winter and finally today the weather was nice enough to try it out. My girlfriend and I went to her parents farm and tried it out and I found lots of trash and $.26 in clad in about an hour. If anyone has any tips on how I should set my fisher F2 up to help eliminate trash that would be great. I can't wait to go back out next weekend since I will more than an hour to detect.

CODY
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Congrats on your first hunt. I started with an F4. Not too sure about the F2. There are some on here that use the F2. On the F4 its very easy to discriminate out iron, pull tabs etc. Just remember, if you knock out the pull tabs, your going to knock out the GOLD also. My suggestion is to read, read, read. Practice, practice, practice. Learn your machine and what it is saying to you. &quot:beerbuddy:ecome one with your machine, and the force will be with you! Good luck and HH

MassDirtFisher
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
You should set up a test garden, bury some things you would like to find and swing over them until you get the hang of it. Try tweaking your machine a little bit. Best of luck to you, and remember slow and low wins the race. Happy Hunting!!

aloldstuff
03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Your 1st hunt sounds like mine. Don't worry it gets much better with time.

JTGOLD
03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
very good hunt for your first time,the more you use the machine the better you will get,

starman2
03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
:perfect10:! Congrats on your first hunt with the detector. It's a ball isn't? Get used to the junk! lol But along with the junk, there's treasure!!

RobW
03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Your 1st hunt sounds like mine. Don't worry it gets much better with time.

His hunts are still that way...don't let him fool you rofl

practice makes perfect.....well maybe not perfect, but better

Just dig, then you will learn what the machine tells you...what tones for what type of finds...it's like listening to your girlfriend/wife/significate other/husband....you learn to tune most of it out and pick up on what you want lol

Fire Fighter 43
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Congrats on your first hunt. I'm not familiar with your detector so I can't help you with settings. I would just suggest keeping it simple at first with the factory settings and change afew things at a time until you have it set for what works the best for you.

Toadman
03-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the forum ! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

milco
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats on your new machine and making it out! The weather has been great here for MDing. If it beeps dig it up! That is my advice to you, that is the only way you will learn what your machine is telling you. Besides if you notch out all the trash you are likely to miss lots of good stuff over time! Patience, persistance, location, research and knowing your machine are all the keys to successful MDing.

DennisH
03-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Congrats and wecome aboard. Where about in WI and what kind of machine do you have? Maybe we can hook up and I can give you some pointers. I know it helped me starting off when I hunted with a seasoned hunter who would get a good hit tell me what he thought it was and have me scan it before digging. (Digging is almost as much of a talent as finding)

Rob L
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I think Rob W. hit it on the nose. The more you use the machine the better your finds will get,because you'll know what its telling you.

dalewestaby
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I live in Wisconsin, facebook Dale WEstaby