PDA

View Full Version : CIVIL WAR DOG TAGS!

sniffy
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
So today I got out of work a little early so I decided to swing by a cellar hole close to home. The only nice thing that came from this site was a pretty Civil War CT seal button. Somethin told me today I better get up there and see what kind of signals I can get with my new machine. And check this out! I thought it was a Condor token, or New Jersey copper at first....but even better! Civil War Dog Tags....Against Rebellion 1861. Using my ancient chinese cleaning secret she polished up pretty good. This is a very exciting find for me....however, I was kind of let down not being able to find a name or initials on the back.....I think they may have been there but I may have destroyed them. This is now one of my all time favorite relics! Thanks for lookin folks!

del
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
wow great find Jesse , if it had a name on it you would definately see it still . it could of been lost before someone had a chance to put the info on it , still a very cool find . great job on cleaning it |:cheering: |:cheering:

sniffy
03-12-2012, 04:09 PM
wow great find Jesse , if it had a name on it you would definately see it still . it could of been lost before someone had a chance to put the info on it , still a very cool find . great job on cleaning it |:cheering: |:cheering:
Thanks Dan. I was crossing my fingers that there would be a nice scripted name or something...The research behind that would have been a thrill.

MassDirtFisher
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Very cool find. Thats the first one I have ever seen,Congrats!! Happy Hunting!!

OxShoeDrew
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
What a piece of history! You may have to change your name to the Terminator!

CODY
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
:wow: Thats what I'm talking about, Digging History! Sweet find. Congrats! thumbsup01

skrapman
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Boy, that is really a nice find. Never saw one either, Do you know if they were issued to each solider or were they purchaced on their
own? :perfect10: :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:

del
03-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Boy, that is really a nice find. Never saw one either, Do you know if they were issued to each solider or were they purchaced on their
own? :perfect10: :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:

they were purchased by the soldiers and were made from many other different items as well

Merc
03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
Sweet dog tags Jess!! It's just amazing what pops out under our coils, and your tag is no exception. Great hunt.

aloldstuff
03-13-2012, 07:12 AM
It's the first one I've seen also. Nice recovery on that piece of history.

Ill Digger
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Great find Jesse! :wow:
Thats the first one of those I've ever seen :yes: Thats cool!
Great find!
Congrats! :grin:
Like Dan said too, great job cleaning it up too thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
03-13-2012, 04:32 PM
:wow: great find!! I do not recall seeing one of those on any forums, congrats.

Civil War Nut
03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Hidy S . Now that is nice .

Toadman
03-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Totaly awesome find !! :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

plehbah
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
The amount of gilt left on that is beautiful. I agree with some of the other folks, it does not appear in the photos that there was ever any unit information inscribed or stamped into the back. I would imagine it is very possible that someone just wore it as a patriotic piece. Maybe a soldier bought an unembellished one at a sutler and sent it home to a son or daughter?

It is an awesome piece. That obverse screams AMERICAN CIVIL WAR.

sniffy
03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
The amount of gilt left on that is beautiful. I agree with some of the other folks, it does not appear in the photos that there was ever any unit information inscribed or stamped into the back. I would imagine it is very possible that someone just wore it as a patriotic piece. Maybe a soldier bought an unembellished one at a sutler and sent it home to a son or daughter?

It is an awesome piece. That obverse screams AMERICAN CIVIL WAR.
I thought the very same thing.

RickO
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I do see a faint TM on the back... of course that could be a trick of the lighting... Great find...

nsbadge
05-01-2012, 11:15 AM
That cleaned up really nice. What is your cleaning method?