PDA

View Full Version : 7 hour farm field hunt, quality over quantity, half dime, hard time token

mdakin
03-13-2012, 07:35 AM
This past Sunday I re-visited a farm field I have had some luck at. (I found a silver 3 center there last year) The finds are few and far between, but when you find something it is usually worth the time spent. I filled up a plastic grocery bag with can slaw during my 7 hours out there, and averaged 1.5 keepers an hour. My first good target was the half dime, which is in awesome shape. That high kept me plodding along for another 6 hours, during which I found my first hard times token, #9, the Running Boar token, political satire busting on Andrew Jackson and his failure with paper currency. All in all a great day! Enjoy.

Can anyone tell if the quarter is the double die obverse variety?

Also, any ideas on what the star shaped tag is? Based on the composition (copper) and the patina, it looks to date to at least the 1800's. This field has yielded reales, GIII's, CT coppers, and a bunch of early 1800's copper and silver.

Thanks in advance for the help

Ill Digger
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
:wow: Whoa!! Now thats my kinda hunt! :yes:
All kindsa cool finds! The half dime alone would've had me doin' the happy dance! <: :happydance01: happydance02
And one of my favorite things to find are old hard times tokens :yes: :smitten: And you got yourself a good one there! :envious:
Sorry I can't tell for sure if the Washington quarter is a double die variety or not :thinkingabout: Great pictures though :yes: thumbsup01
And great hunt! :cool:
Congrats! :grin:

aloldstuff
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
What a great site. That 1/2 dime is fantastic, congrats. Sorry I can't help on the wash but glad that the 1/2 dime was the first keeper so that you kept going. Cool hard times token.

CODY
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
:wow: :wow: Great finds! Half Dime is Sweeeeeet! :perfect10: But man, do I love that Token! :smitten: Congrats on a Great hunt and Great finds. What method did you use to clean the token?

mdakin
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
oh sorry, I didn't mean to mislead, I should I have posted that the 3rd picture of the hard times token was one I found on e-bay, just to use as reference to see what was on the token. I wish I could get cruddy coppers to come out like that without any pitting!! :)

All I did was peroxide and a soft tooth brush.

coop
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice digs thumbsup01

RobW
03-13-2012, 02:04 PM
:shocked04:...what a great token! Some other great finds too! :clapping:

del
03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
very nice Matt , sweet half dime :smitten: :smitten:

Fire Fighter 43
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Great hunt!! The half dime is a beauty, that would make the day for me, Congrats |:cheering:

JTGOLD
03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
great finds and I like that little car,very good hunt.