PDA

View Full Version : Breaking habits

z118
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
In spite of the mild weather I'm off to a bit of a slow start detecting wise due to work and a busy schedule at home as well. I managed to get in a few short hunts this past weekend though, and in each instance I found myself heading back to the same old spots I've hunted again and again. Finds were sparse and though I managed to find 7 wheats and a '42 Canadian penny over the weekend, silver was not to be had.

I had some time after work today and rather than hit the same old spots I figured I'd try something new. I headed to a wooded area in a nearby village hoping for some old coins. This was a big step for me - I have never liked hunting in the woods and I don't much like coming home empty handed either, even if all I find is a handful of clad. I figured there was a pretty good chance I'd get skunked in these woods. I'm glad I made the choice though... the first target I got within a few minutes of swinging proved to be a nice, well worn 1917 Merc. You'd think this would have gotten my hopes way up but I knew better! I hunted for about two hours after the Merc and found 6 wheat pennies, a compact from the 20's, most of an old oil lamp, and an odd copper ring. It was a great hunt... I covered only a small percent of the area and it feels great to have a new spot on my list. One Merc makes my day and the wheats and relics are just frosting.

So here's to breaking out of old ruts... hopefully I can find some other new areas this year too.

Happy hunting.

Fire Fighter 43
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Congrats on the silver!! |:cheering: It looks like you have a sweat new honey hole. Good luck on your return trips.

MassDirtFisher
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the merc and wheats!! Happy Hunting!!

Ill Digger
03-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Cool! Good for you Z thumbsup01
Sometimes it's nice to mix it up a bit and hunt different types of sites.
So could there be a new found interest in some woods hunting that I hear in your text? :poke: lol
Nice hunt with some old and interesting finds!
Plus a little silver to top it off! happydance02
Congrats Z :grin:

CODY
03-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Sweet! WTG. Sounds like we will be seeing more great finds from this spot. Congrats thumbsup01

POKIE73
03-14-2012, 06:57 AM
congrats on your hunt and getting out of your rut iam having the same new detector still in learning process maybe i will get out of my rut also anyway good finds dennis

bob_e99
03-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Awesome!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I'm glad you managed to find time to get a hunt in. I'm also pleased that you tried some woods. It can be difficult at times, but also very worthwhile.

Continued good hunting!

:peace:

aloldstuff
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I can relate to the same old spots routine. Glad that you ventured off into the woods and congrats on the merc and all the keepers

Epi-hunter
03-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Congratulations! I love hunting in the woods... especially when there is silver :happydance01: