PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Key Date Barber - More E-Trac Silver In The Trash

CyberSage
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
One week after finding the Seated Liberty Quarter, I found myself watching the sunrise as I headed back across the high plains of Colorado to the same little parks for another hunt. The skies were overcast to the west, and the majestic view of the Rocky mountains that has spoiled me so much in previous trips was hidden from my view. The low lying clouds would taunt me every now and then with a brief glimpse of the massive range of mountains.
This trip I would not be alone in my hunt. I would be meeting my friend Sarge for a day of detecting. Sarge and I have had several hunts together, and they were always a lot of fun. I pulled up to the first park, and the only activity was from a few Fox Squirrels searching the yellowed grass for nuts buried last fall. I sipped my coffee, and started to drift in my thoughts as I looked out over the old park. Stepping from my car I once again paused, and fixated on an old Victorian aged house on the corner across the street. I couldn't help but wonder what lay just beneath the surface of the front yard. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a car pulling right up behind me. I turned to see Sarge smiling from the driver's seat of his vehicle. After shaking hands, and exchanging a few stories we pulled out the detectors from he cars and went about the business of listening for the sound of coins as our coils passed over them. Twenty minutes into the hunt I had a good hit. There was some iron in the hole along with it, but the E-Trac still let me know Silver was waiting. I cut a plug, and felt rain drops start to fall on my shoulders. As I cut through the earth once again, the glint of Silver caught my eye...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpc93XqaSQE

A Semi-Key date 1913 S Barber Dime. It was slightly worn, and had one small flaw on the tail side. Still a very exciting find for me.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/HBarber1313s.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/TBarber1313s.jpg

I have found many nice coins in this area of the park. I believe it is the combination of deep iron , and modern day trash that lets this area continue to produce finds.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/BarberSite-2.jpg

The Indian head Penny was also hidden in a trashy area at the very edge of the park. The E-Trac is very adept at signaling on these bronze coins. I knew what I had before I dug on this one.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/IndianSite-1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/IndianDig-1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/HIndian.jpg

I dug a lot of nails, and bits of iron on this hunt as I worked the trashy areas. Still being relatively inexperienced with the E-Trac this helped me understand what the machine was trying to tell me. These parks have been hit hard, so the coins were far and few, but What I found this trip was worth the effort. I guess in reality it's always worth the effort if you think about it. There is no downside to a walk in the park on a nice Spring day.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Bell-Two
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
That Barber is a choice coin 510,000 mintage and worth a few bucks for sure. Great video and nice hunts Jack always enjoy your posts.

aloldstuff
03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Great hunting with the Etrac. Once you really get to know that machine you will be popping coins like crazy. Congrats on the 1913-s Barber and the IH. Keep digging and posting.

RaZR
03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Sweet find on the 13-S barber. And an Indian too!
Looks like a fine day out in the park.

GL/HH

MassDirtFisher
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Great looking Barber!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

DennisH
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
That is a great looking 1913-S barber dime!!! I get where there is one there is more. Looking at the park I got to say that it looks perfect.

JTGOLD
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
very nice hit on the 13-S dime and a IH too,wtg.

CODY
03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Very Sweet Barber! :perfect10: Love those Barbers! :loveit: Congrats on the IH also |:cheering: Great hunt thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Wow Jack!! First Brian and now you making some awesome finds!! |:confused:)

angellionel
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
That dime is worth digging iron. :smitten: Very nice hunt Jack, and photos too! :clapping:

coop
03-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Nice thumbsup01

randy
03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Nice one Jack :perfect10: The E-Trac is a killer in those difficult sites.

POKIE73
03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
great find on the barber dime i too have a e trac but as of yet no silver has passed under my coil yet but if will congrats on your find dennis

rsarge1
03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for a great hunt Jack, I had a great time, I learned a lot and boy was I sore the next day LOL, I still think all you have to do is take any stick put a dial on it and you will find something good!!
thanks
sarge

tanacat
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Ahhhh your writing makes me miss living in Colorado crying01

Great hunt |:cheering: Congrats on that Barber :clapping: I bet you are sore too, from digging all those nails... Nice you got to hunt with Sarge.

Btw, I love those Fox Squirrels - we just have Grey Squirrels around here. I have funny story when I lived in Boulder I think I told you before. A fox squirrel was bombing me/biting off baby pears when I was sitting under the tree, being territorial or perhaps playful. The way it was chattering it almost seemed to be laughing. They sure are cute, feisty little fellows lol

Tony Two-Cent
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey, that Barber is a great find, Jack! Those key and semi-key Barber Dimes are very elusive. :yes:

I love your photos too!

Congrats on the neat finds! :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Good friends, good weather, good hunt and a fantastic find, what more could you ask for. congrats Jack |:cheering:

jkress
03-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Great post Jack. :yes:
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: the Barber. She's a very nice one to find. :clapping:
Thanks for the pics and video.

CyberSage
03-17-2012, 07:26 PM
That Barber is a choice coin 510,000 mintage and worth a few bucks for sure. Great video and nice hunts Jack always enjoy your posts.

Thank you Bell-two. I am glad you enjoy the post. I really enjoy making them. It definitely was a nice keeper this time. It has a nice spot now on my trophy shelf.

Great hunting with the Etrac. Once you really get to know that machine you will be popping coins like crazy. Congrats on the 1913-s Barber and the IH. Keep digging and posting.

The E-trac already seems natural to me Al. I am getting that attached to the ground feeling more and more when I hunt. Now if I can just continue to get out more often. ;)

Sweet find on the 13-S barber. And an Indian too!
Looks like a fine day out in the park.

GL/HH

Yes RaZR, a fine day in the park, even if I don't find anything is better than a day at work. Thanks for your response.

Great looking Barber!! Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

Thank You MDF, and I am always happy when I am hunting. :grin:

That is a great looking 1913-S barber dime!!! I get where there is one there is more. Looking at the park I got to say that it looks perfect.

I think there is much Silver to be dug out of locations like this. It just takes a little time.

very nice hit on the 13-S dime and a IH too,wtg.

Thank JT! Just a few coins is all I need to have a great hunt.

Very Sweet Barber! :perfect10: Love those Barbers! :loveit: Congrats on the IH also |:cheering: Great hunt thumbsup01

I appreciate the response Cody. They are a nice coin to see coming out of the ground.

Wow Jack!! First Brian and now you making some awesome finds!! |:confused:)

Brian's been making great finds with his E-Trac for a while now. It is very impressive to see his post. Thanks Ron!

That dime is worth digging iron. :smitten: Very nice hunt Jack, and photos too! :clapping:

Thank you Angel! I don't really mind digging the iron anymore. It is worth the glint of Silver in the hole.

Nice thumbsup01

Thank you Coop. :)

Nice one Jack :perfect10: The E-Trac is a killer in those difficult sites.

I have discovered just how killer it is Randy. It really has an ability like no other detector I have handled in the past. I am very excited about this season. Thanks

great find on the barber dime i too have a e trac but as of yet no silver has passed under my coil yet but if will congrats on your find dennis

Get out there and swing that coil Dennis. It won't be long before you are rewarded with some Silver. I appreciate your feedback Dennis. Good luck!

Thanks for a great hunt Jack, I had a great time, I learned a lot and boy was I sore the next day LOL, I still think all you have to do is take any stick put a dial on it and you will find something good!!
thanks
sarge

Sarge, Thank you my friend! Looking forward to our next hunt.

Ahhhh your writing makes me miss living in Colorado crying01

Great hunt |:cheering: Congrats on that Barber :clapping: I bet you are sore too, from digging all those nails... Nice you got to hunt with Sarge.

Btw, I love those Fox Squirrels - we just have Grey Squirrels around here. I have funny story when I lived in Boulder I think I told you before. A fox squirrel was bombing me/biting off baby pears when I was sitting under the tree, being territorial or perhaps playful. The way it was chattering it almost seemed to be laughing. They sure are cute, feisty little fellows lol

There are a few pure black Fox Squirrels that frequent the parks around this place. Pretty cool looking. They are all mostly tame around town. I have had over 20 in my backyard at a time during the winter months. They taste like chicken. lol ... Just teasing, they are my pets Tana. Thank you!

Hey, that Barber is a great find, Jack! Those key and semi-key Barber Dimes are very elusive. :yes:

I love your photos too!

Congrats on the neat finds! :clapping:

I enjoy taking photos probably to much. It sometimes cuts in on my hunting time. That's ok I guess, as it is all fun. Thanks Tony.

Good friends, good weather, good hunt and a fantastic find, what more could you ask for. congrats Jack |:cheering:

You have summed it up nicely Jeff, and thank you kindly.

Great post Jack. :yes:
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: the Barber. She's a very nice one to find. :clapping:
Thanks for the pics and video.

Your welcome Joe. She certainly is a beautiful coin, I am enjoying it very much. Thank you.

starman2
03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
:perfect10:!! Congrats on the great finds. And especially the Barber! I found my own the other day. And brought up your post, to compare coins. And read what the other guys were saying about it. 510,000? Now there are only 509,998 more we have to find! WTG!! :groovy:

Ytcoinshooter
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Wow, that's sweet. :perfect10:I'm a coin guy, collecting many series by date and mintmark (completing a IH cents & Indian head nickles) since I was about 6 years old. Everytime a semi key comes to light via detecting I take special note of it. Congrats!

Toadman
04-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Gotta love key, and semi key dates !! :perfect10: |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Another sweet experience for sure .

Snapolson
04-06-2012, 07:47 PM
:perfect10: Great stuff!