PDA

View Full Version : 4 HOUR BARN HOLE HUNT*SILVER*KEY DATE IH

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I had a few hours this afternoon and decided to head up to this old barn hole up the street from my house.
In the past this site has given up a King George copper,quite a few Indian head pennies a barber dime and a few mercs. real close to this hole is a old spring that was very popular up until the 1960's then people lost interest and the main rd has way more traffic now.
anyways i didn't think i was gonna find much since i been to this spot numerous times.
i bumped up my gain and worked slowly. first coin was a 1928 wheatie. then a old decorative gas line surfaced.over by a huge rock i got a nice signal shallow jumpin from penny/dime to quarter.
stuck the shovel in and hit a flat rock peeled back the 2 inches of sod and saw silver.another one stuck into the side of hole.grabbed them 2 silvers and scanned again... more! a wheatie and another silver dime. a nice little 4 coin pocket spill.
then a brass put and take game spinner.this is the 3rd one i found.all are different but same design.they were popular in the 1920's. yes the clad quarter at 3 inches had my heart pumping because the home across the street is a colonial.can't get permission to hunt it though :crying02:
then later workin the old trail where most of the IH's came out of. i got a deep screwcap/penny reading at 6 + inches expecting another bullet casing i popped out a worn 1872 IH.
got home looked in the book ahh 80 cents in G-4 did a double take.wait a second thats $80.00 in G-4! :drool: i don't know if its a key or semi-key date?
not a bad 4 hour hunt.
hopefully tomorrow whether i go with mike or jesse i can pull a big copper.i feel so overdue in that dept! :crying02:
my take for today
1872 Ih
1935 & 1944 mercs
1946-S rosie
1928 & 1944 wheaties

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
last 2 pics

angellionel
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
That's a very nice hunt, Dave. The silver coin spill is sweet! Congrats on the IH too!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
That's a very nice hunt, Dave. The silver coin spill is sweet! Congrats on the IH too!

thanks Angel!

del
03-05-2010, 06:02 PM
wow great indian Dave thumbsup01 and some silver to boot , very sweet . hey whats the object next ( just right of )to the capgun , it looks like something special but i want another picture of it .

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
wow great indian Dave thumbsup01 and some silver to boot , very sweet . hey whats the object next ( just right of )to the capgun , it looks like something special but i want another picture of it .

hey Dan thanks!
i thought maybe that thing was some scabbard tip protector or whatever.but its iron and i just don't know? :confused: maybe its a broken handle end to one of those fireplace ash shovels? who knows?
hey this is the best damn square nail i ever dug! rofl thing is beautiful man! never seen one come out like this! thumbsup01 lol :crazy:

sniffy
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Thats killer man! :) glad you managed to get out! I did my own yard today.

del
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
ya Dave that does look like the tip of a scabbard for a sword , that would be my guess . cool find . is the nail a brass one or is it iron and is it a rose head or not. :huh: :huh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
ya Dave that does look like the tip of a scabbard for a sword , that would be my guess . cool find . is the nail a brass one or is it iron and is it a rose head or not. :huh: :huh:

no the nail is iron and here's a pic of the head.
is this a rose head?it's not really square . :confused:

coinnut
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I wanna hunt behind you Dave lol That's a lot of coins missed. What's this, you are trying to bump your gain up? Where did you learn that trick? ;) A really good hunt considering you didn't think you would get anything. Was worth the time out there. Keep hunting there and waving at the guy across the street and maybe one day he'll let you slip in. Tell him you are his long lost nephew. :cheesysmile: Hope you guys get out and score some good hits. I think the 1872 is considered a semi-key date. the only key dates that I know of, are the 1877 and the 1909 S. I think the rest are semi-key dates, but I could be wrong.

Epi-hunter
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Beautiful coins Dave! I love your photos and how you sequence them, first in the field and then after cleaning. I love that IH.....

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I wanna hunt behind you Dave lol That's a lot of coins missed. What's this, you are trying to bump your gain up? Where did you learn that trick? ;) A really good hunt considering you didn't think you would get anything. Was worth the time out there. Keep hunting there and waving at the guy across the street and maybe one day he'll let you slip in. Tell him you are his long lost nephew. :cheesysmile: Hope you guys get out and score some good hits. I think the 1872 is considered a semi-key date. the only key dates that I know of, are the 1877 and the 1909 S. I think the rest are semi-key dates, but I could be wrong.

ah ha wise guy huh? :beatdown:
you already hunted behind me at the park remember? :poke:
yeah the park ya said you'd get the deep silver i missed huh? :poke: :poke:
j/k G rofl the silver was in a spot i never got to.but the Ih was in the trail.but it was a deep faint signal.maybe the winter helped heave it a bit.and them pesky idk what the heck calibur they are 32's? they read basically the same as the IH's. i been diggin them fairly deep too. i thought you retired from the sit down comedian business :confused: maybe try stand up comedy? :bop:
good luck tomorrow gentlemen! :yes:
and i beg to differ on the 1872 i think it is a key date thumbsup01
idk you may be right? :confused: who knows ;) only 4 mill made so..it's a tougher one i guess.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1872+indian+head+penny&_sacat=0&_trksi d=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Coins_US_Individual&_odkw =1872+indian+head+cent&_osacat=0

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Beautiful coins Dave! I love your photos and how you sequence them, first in the field and then after cleaning. I love that IH.....

aww thanks Angie!!!!! i go overboard people been tellin me with the camera :crazy:

xzlr8n
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Congrats on pulling stuff from a site you've already hit. Just when you think you have no where to go the old sites cough up some goodies. IH's are always great finds, especially low mintage ones like your 1872 thumbsup01.

tanacat
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Congrats on your finds :yes: Thanks for taking us with you on your hunt- great imagery!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Congrats on pulling stuff from a site you've already hit. Just when you think you have no where to go the old sites cough up some goodies. IH's are always great finds, especially low mintage ones like your 1872 thumbsup01.

thanks ! thumbsup01

John M
03-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Nice little pocket spill Dave.Looks like ya gotta venture out around that site and clean up some more.