PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a dissapointment.

hoser
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Well today was first dirt with the new Etrac. I was gonna go snow hunting on the ski hill but I do believe half the population of Grayling was there enjoying the warmer temps. So instead of a first snow dig report I had to settle for frozen dirt instead. However I didn't get totally skunked. I only found three pennies, one dime and a nickle. They had to be in the first three inches because after that I would have had to resort to explosives. :shocked04: lol Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of good signals but they might have just as well been in the next county. Pinpointing was dead on with this machine. My main problem is I have to lose the DFX mentality. I found myself swinging faster than I should have several times and once I really concentrated on SLOW! I was getting lots of hits. Just couldn't get to them. :crying02: This patch of ground I hunted was around twenty feet wide by sixty feet long. It will take me a few trips out to get a better feel of this machine but I do think it is gonna be a killer. :drool:

angellionel
03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
You will have fun with the machine, Bill. Congrats! And yeah, you have to keep reminding yourself to slow down, especially after coming from the DFX. :yes:

Epi-hunter
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Yay Bill, I'm glad you got out! Frozen ground or not, at least you are getting the feel for the machine. Yes, you have to swing slooooow, but believe me, when you find that first very deep silver coin that you would have missed otherwise, that will slow you down from then on :) It won't be long before this ground thaws...

del
03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
wow Bill that would drive me crazy :crazy: not being able to dig great targets because of frozen earth . thats why i detect out in the remote woods , explosives are optional lol lol well don't fret none old man winter is just about gone and your gonna have a great time with some good finds , i can feel it . thumbsup01

Dan

coinnut
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
well don't fret none old man winter is just about gone and your gonna have a great time with some good finds , i can feel it . thumbsup01

Dan

Great, he can feel it.... now we are gonna get walloped with snow rofl Hey Hoser, it takes a while to lose that DFX technique, especially if you have had it for a while. I still swing too fast lol and I've had mine a bit over a year now. I'm glad you got to hear the targets and get a feel for how the machine responds to each target. You will have a blast this year!! :yes:

hoser
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Normally this time of the year we have two feet of snow on the ground and the soil underneath is still fairly warm. Once the spring sun comes out it melts from the top down and the warm soil melts up making it go away real fast. This year we have little snow, warm days that melt the top, and awful cold nights that drive the frost deep into the earth. I have only seen this a couple of times before and I seems it takes a lifetime for the snow to go away. :mad: :ticked: I'll just have to hit the areas that have thawed till I can get to the good spots. :drool:

Jaybird
03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Bill,
I have the same trouble (slowing down) after using the DFX for 2 years. I've only been out a few times because of the winter thing and am on my 3rd silver and my oldest coin so far is a 1911 wheat penny. I guess my point is I already am more confident than I was after a year of using the DFX. I know you will succeed if you hang in there. It seems that several people here on this forum were on another forum and helped me considerably to get started in my Minelab experience. Spring's coming---get ready.

Jay

Schrecky
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Same problem here Hoser, still a lot of snow on the ground but we are in the 40's this week and should hit 50's a few days with rain. I'm hoping I can get out next week. Yea, I really miss being able to hunt deep and fast with the DFX.

RickO
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I may take the V3 out for a spin tomorrow... up in the country. Find some south facing hills, the soil will be soft there. (Staying away from northside hills, bears will be coming out soon... do not want to meet one who is cranky from his winter nap... or momma with her new cubs) RickO

Beefcake
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Schrecky...do you have to slow down your swing with the V3 too:huh: just curious?

leslie(nova scotia)
03-10-2010, 06:11 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....don't lose faith brother spring is coming and then you will become.........one with your machine!

hoser
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Well the ground is really getting bare now so this weekend will find me out somewhere. One place that I found silver at and I have been keeping a close eye on is all bare ground so that will be where I attack first. :drool:Hopefully I'll have something to show for my efforts.

toehead
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Good Luck Hoser and let us know how you did.