PDA

View Full Version : 1810 Vinaigrette plus silver, coins, & junk

z118
03-18-2012, 08:16 PM
You don't typically expect to get sweaty and sun burnt when detecting in March in Upstate NY... but danged it that wasn't the case this weekend. I got out on Saturday and Sunday and hit some one my usual spots with pretty good luck - I dug 201 coins total including a silver Rosie, 9 wheats, and two older Canadian pennies. I also got the usual tokens, key, trinkets, and junk. The real keeper for the weekend was an odd find on Sunday... my best guess at this point is that it is a perfume locket (a vinaigrette) made in England by Joseph Willmore in Birmingham England in 1810. The date, maker, and origin I am discerning based on the marks. Oddly, there is no mark relating to the type or purity of the metal. I would guess that it is silver and gold based only on the colors and lack of corrosion. It's a shame the piece seems to have been dented at some point causing the back panel to break free. Any thoughts on this piece would be appreciated. It would me neat to have it cleaned and fixed up but I don't know that it's worth it.

The insanely warm weather is expected to continue all week, hopefully I'll be able to get in some evening hunts.

Happy digging!

MassDirtFisher
03-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Congrats on the sweet Vinaigrette and Silver!! Good luck on your future hunts!! Happy Hunting!!

Tony Two-Cent
03-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, I love that perfume locket! What a great find! I agree, it does appear to me made out of silver and gold! Wonderful item! Congrats on the great hunt! :clapping:

CODY
03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Congrats on some very nice finds.

bob_e99
03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Looks like a pretty good weekend haul with some nice finds.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And yes, I can't believe that the sun is so hot in March that I'm already looking for shady spots to detect.

Continued good hunting!

|:cheering:

aloldstuff
03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
March and sunburn just seems like those two words should not go together. Some nice hunting and that locket is great. Looks gold and silver to me. Congrats....take the clad and get some sun screen

Fire Fighter 43
03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice hunt, that's a good group of relics. WTG |:cheering:

skrapman
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
wow, that was a great weekend hunt. My buddy has taken some found jewelry to a jeweler and had it repaired for a reasonable
cost. a piece made in 1804 is pretty sweet and deserves a coveted spot. :perfect10:

plehbah
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
That is a very interesting find, and the datable hallmarks add quite a bit of appeal. I agree with the previous poster that it is worth restoring due to that age/interest factor.

Put it back into use- wear it while detecting and make your hunting buddies love you again! You will get to every site first because you do not need to waste time showering!