PDA

View Full Version : Central Illinois Newbie

Bubbalew
03-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone! I been browsing the site for a few days now and decided to join. Seems like there is a plethora of knowledge on the site and I'm glad I joined. I'm from central Illinois and I'm currently waiting for my new detector to arrive. I'm anxious as a kid on Christmas morning to get out there the first time!

POKIE73
03-20-2012, 06:19 AM
you better know one thing it gets worse from now on good luck with your new toy and your new hobby dennis

aloldstuff
03-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Welcome from western MA. What type of detector did you get? Here's hoping that you survive the addiction.

Tony Two-Cent
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Welcome, Bubbalew! I'm glad you decided to join! We have several members here from Illinois, myself included.

Metal detecting is a very rewarding hobby, all it takes is some patience, perseverance, and a little luck.

We will be anxiously waiting to hear about your success. Best of luck!

Bubbalew
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome, Bubbalew! I'm glad you decided to join! We have several members here from Illinois, myself included.

Metal detecting is a very rewarding hobby, all it takes is some patience, perseverance, and a little luck.

We will be anxiously waiting to hear about your success. Best of luck!

After a lot of research and reading reviews and such, I've decided on a Garret Ace 350. I'm hoping it wont let me down.

CODY
03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Welcome from Mississippi. Will be looking forward to your post and finds. If we can help in any way just ask. HH

Fire Fighter 43
03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. You came to the right place, I'm sure we can help you with all your questions. Good Luck with you new detector. By the way what detector did you purchase?

Tony Two-Cent
03-20-2012, 09:13 PM
After a lot of research and reading reviews and such, I've decided on a Garret Ace 350. I'm hoping it wont let me down.

The Garrett Ace 350 is a very popular mid-level starter machine that people seem to have great success with. I think you will be happy with your decision, at least from what I've read.

What part of central Illinois are you from?

Bubbalew
03-21-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm from Decatur, moved by the airport after living in Mt. Zion all my life.

randy
03-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Welcome from Chester County, PA.

del
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
hello and welcome to the forum Bubbalew , i wish you great success with the new machine and will be looking toward seeing your posts .

Dan

Bubbalew
03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks to Everyone for the welcomes! I'm already at a point of frustration and I haven't even begun to hunt! I ordered my Ace 350 back on the 7th. After getting a tracking number, and waiting a week, I called the shipper just to find out it's been lost. So it's been a constant back and forth email and phone calls just to be told the date for shipping is being pushed back every time I ask. As of the last email I was told it wont be till Saturday till my Ace 350 is shipped and I wont receive it till midweek next week. So I guess good things come to those who wait! But the anxiety is killing me!

del
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
sorry to hear about waiting for the detector , who was the dealer you got it from ??

Rob L
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Go to a place where you can dig plenty of coins, like a park. You'll probably be getting a lot of clads.But once you get used to the detector, then start trying older places ,like cellar holes and old cart roads. Don't get discouraged if you don't get great finds right away. They will come.

Bubbalew
03-22-2012, 09:03 AM
sorry to hear about waiting for the detector , who was the dealer you got it from ??

I got it from a place called Falcon twins sporting goods I sure am hoping its worth the wait!

OxShoeDrew
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I love your handle. thumbsup01. I liked my ace 350, I just wrapped it up and sent it out to my son who also is beginning the hobby. It covered a lot of ground and was deep. You'll be posting in no time.

JTGOLD
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
welcome to the forum from another Illinois hunter.

Bubbalew
03-22-2012, 07:41 PM
I sure hope so! I just ordered the garret pin pointer with it. after reading on here that they save a lot of time. I cant wait to actually prove my wife wrong and show her this will be a good hobby!

tanacat
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I sure hope so! I just ordered the garret pin pointer with it. after reading on here that they save a lot of time. I cant wait to actually prove my wife wrong and show her this will be a good hobby!

Welcome from your neighbor in Kentucky! :groovy: From what you said a few days ago, you should be getting your detector any day now :happydance01:

I can relate to what you said about proving your wife wrong lol My hubby was skeptical 3 yrs ago when I started detecting. After finding lots of silver coins, several valuable and oodles of historically interesting items, my hubby became more supportive :yes: He and my mom both believe (and hope) that one day I'll hit it big... :beerbuddy:

but for me it's not for the money -it's healthy for the mind, body and spirit. Something to look forward to when worn out mentally by my 2 young sons (4 & 6 yrs)...

To have a passion for something that grows with time, I feel is such a gift. To get out and into the country for adventure, excercise and fresh air, to connect with nature and history, the wonder of what was and what 'it' is lol I am so grateful to have discovered metal detecting. Hopefully your wife will support you for the healthy aspects of MDing even if you don't find lots of riches right away :)

Anyway, I'm rambling aren't I :cheesysmile: I'm excited for you to get detecting! Congrats on finding a great forum to learn and share :yes:

Bubbalew
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thats exactly the way I feel about it. It's not about anything monetary or finding something valuable to me. It's all about the whole adventure and being out in nature and getting some peace, as well as the whole thrill of finding ANYTHING and not knowing what it is till its dug up. ;)

Ill Digger
03-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Hey Bubbalew :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from yet another fellow Illinoisan :grin:
I hope your new toy shows up for ya here real soon. It's a great hobby ! Your gonna love it!
When you do finally get it, if you have any questions fire away! :yes: I've never ran one before, but I know we have a plethora of members here who have and do use a Ace of some sort and would be more than willing to help you with any questions you my come across .
GL & HH :cool:

Lowjiber
03-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Welcome to your new obsession and the best forum on the internet...from southern Nevada.

jkress
03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome aboard Bubbalew. :clapping:
Awaiting a new machine is exciting. :yes: I can't wait to see how you two will get along. :->
The Garrett line is a great set of products. thumbsup01 I started this hobby with the Ace 250 and was very impressed.

LIBear
04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum from Long Island NY

Mudder
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome from Southern Mississippi, home of rain and lots of mud. >:\