PDA

View Full Version : Watch your step

z118
03-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I got out again tonight and headed back to the woods... my luck is steadily on the decline at this spot. I dug two pennies - a copper memorial and a 1928 wheat - plus a pump organ reed, a salt shaker top, a small piece of buckle, a few large grommets, and a rusty old foothold trap. I started missing the ease of turf hunting... tangling with undergrowth, fallen limbs, downed trees, and uneven terrain is one thing when you are digging some keepers, but not so much fun when you aren't. I'll likely give this spot a break for now and likely head back later in the season. I've hunted this spot 4 times now for a total of about 8 hours. It is some kind of miracle in my mind that I found a nice 1917 Merc in the first five minutes of the first hunt and no silver since. I wonder what the odds of that are? :thinkingabout:

Happy hunting!

dalewestaby
03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
I feel ya, i have the same poor luck with my areas ive been searching lately

MassDirtFisher
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Yikes!!! I would hate to have that rusty deathtrap slam on my foot!! Seems like your in the right area, there has to be some silver there somewhere. Best of luck, and Happy Hunting!!

bob_e99
03-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Wood hunting can be difficult :hairpulling: but at least you're not dealing with ticks up there >:/. The stuff that you have been pulling (IMO) indicates some real potential. I have to admit that it is a real teaser when the first coin you pull is a silver especially a nice merc. :)
Things here have been pretty slow here also. :-\

In any case, for you, I think it's time to go back to your strenght and hit those schools and kiddie areas.
Good hunting.

aloldstuff
03-21-2012, 07:11 AM
It is funny how that 1st coin was a nice early merc, sort of like a teaser. I also do not like uneven terrain. Give me a nice flat field any day. Maybe when you get back to that spot the merc's sister will show up.

randy
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
FWIW, my rule is to give a site two full hard hunts of not finding any deep coins before giving up (assuming I haven't gridded the place out).

Fire Fighter 43
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Cool finds I really like the trap. It would make an ice display in my man cave. WTG

plehbah
03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Keep sorting through the stuff like that and eventually something very good will happen. Like a gold coin or an involuntary psychiatric hold. I have my money on 'gold coin'.

starman2
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
|:cheering:! Great bunch of relics! The odds are. That you just happened to swing that coil, over just the right spot. That might have been the only one there. Woods are a little mind blowing sometimes. I make short jaunts, into the woods. Just long enough, before the limbs and brush start to get on my nerves. Good Luck! :groovy: