PDA

View Full Version : SHIPWRECK UNCOVERED

Sal66
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I hope to get some pics of my own if the vessel is still there. It's not often you see something like this. I can't wait to go up there in July. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20070425-NEWS-704250329?cid=sitesearch

This link is the full article. I hope it works.

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I love stories like this! :yes:

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, Sal!

Jason in Enid
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Interesting article from 2007. I wonder how long it took the sands to rebury her. From all the exposed rocks, it looks like that would have been a good time and place for some detecting!

aloldstuff
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
It sounds like the wreck is playing peekaboo. I hope its still there when you are able to go to York ME. No md'ing around that vessel, archie site according to the state of ME.

Sal66
03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Yea I hope it's still visible. If I remember right, the beach is about a mile long. So, as long as I stay clear enough away from the site things should be okay. I'm going to call the visitors phone number and see if the beach is off limits still . It's been a few years now and things should have calmed down by now.
It doesn't matter beacause I'm staying on a beach about a mile away that's 2 1/2 miles long called Long Sands. I have never in 30 years have noticed much detecting there and I know it's not off limits. The thing is the beach remains mostly from moist to wet depending if you go at low tide.
Now I just need someone to let me borrow a Surfmaster or some kind of machine that is good for wet sand. Heck, I'll even pay to rent one. I'll post my finds when I go in July.
I'll be back on the 19th hopefully with some jewelry or at least a few old coins. The town dates back to the 1600's . Wish me luck.

Sal66
03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
In all the years going up there, I have never seen so much erosion where the sand has exposed the rocks below it. They have storms sometimes on the larger beach where I'll be staying and it usually just causes the beach to become a mess with up to a few feet of seaweed high piled along the back wall.
The crazy thing is the town uses bulldozers to bring the seaweed over to the left side of the beach and dump it back in the water, so for the whole week your swimming in it. Why can't they load it up and haul it out to another place, LIKE A DUMP !!
I said this before If anyone is interested in loaning a beach machine to me for cash, let me know. That's of course if you live in CT.

Eagle 1
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes you can hunt the beach and the the boat is gone. It is under 5 feet of sand. If we have a good storm you may see the ship once more. but stay clair of it about 5 feet.

Eagle 1