PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Buckle?

bob_e99
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I just found this today and it's pretty beat up. I think it's a civil war buckle but would appreciate it if someone could confirm it. I have to admit, I didn't think there were too many civil war artifacts in this neck of the woods (southern New Hampshire)

Thanks

aloldstuff
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I see the paw feet so I am saying it's a good find. Congrats on finding that.

del
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
hey Bob , it is a waist belt plate . a regulation 1839 pattern , infantry enlisted 1863-1865 with the arrow belt hooks. congrats on a finding nice piece of civil war history :smitten: :smitten: , it not uncommon for us New Englanders to find Civil War items that were brought back home from the veteran soldiers returning from the war. it will be a great center piece for a display.

Dan

bob_e99
03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Dan,

Saying thank you seems so inadequate. I sincerely appreciate the knowledge that you so willingly share and I definitely learned something about the civil war items in New England. It's too bad the thing is not in better shape but still a very interesting find.

Again, thanks for your assistance in verifying the object.

Bob

del
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
your very welcome Bob , it was no problem at all :grin: as i really enjoy seeing relics such as this being recovered and preserved in displays , if only they could talk to us :daydream:. its a great piece and an item thats on my want to find list for sometime now :smitten: :smitten:. hopefully you can go back and find a few buttons off the uniform , it would be great to see them all together again after all these years. take care .

Dan

CODY
03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Very nice find Bob. |:cheering: On my want list also. :clapping: Del is the MAN, no doubt! |:confused:) |:confused:). Congrats on a great find! thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
03-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats on a great find. |:cheering:

Tinthumb
03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Congrats, on the belt plate. It is at the top of my wish list.

plehbah
03-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm sure that came back with a proud New Hampshire veteran. There are actually lots of American Civil War relics to be found at period homesites all over the country, and in places never having seen any military action at all. That war was pervasive. Every home sent somebody to the war, and if they came back alive, they probably brought back a uniform with a belt, and some buttons. Maybe even a surplus rifle!

Great find! Many a man (overgrown boy) dreams of finding one of those!

skrapman
03-25-2012, 06:33 AM
That is really one sweet find.It would look great in a case surrounded by other military items. congrats on a super find. :perfect10:

tanacat
03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Congrats on one excellent find! :clapping: Even though a little beat up, it sure has character. Very cool that it has the paw feet still attached. Was shocked when I found one here last summer (Ky) and so far is my best/favorite relic find ever :yes: