PDA

View Full Version : New Show!

Sal66
03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
There is a new show on SPIKE TV called American Digger. I think this show gives Metal Detecting a bad name. They Rudely knock on doors unprofessionally and try to gain permission to search land. The Thing is they literally blow up the ground, bulldoze it and it just makes MD'ing look Abrasive. Also, they cut down trees and destroy the land.
They don't seem to care about Historical Value, Just the almighty Dollar. It Pisses me o o ff because these are the kind we all hate to see at the Hunts. Just look at how they act.
I hope people from the Metal Detecting Community expresses what or should I say the way I feel . How do all you feel about this show?
The pemission thing is good. but blowing up the land to find coins and Relics? I don't care if it's in Alaska like the first show is or in someone's nice grassy yard. Follow the Code of Ethics. Remember it's not all about Money, not to me anyway. If that was true I or anyone I know wouldn't have anything to show.

Please leave your feedback and I would like to see alot of it,

Jason in Enid
03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
This has already been pretty well beaten to death on all the forums.

angellionel
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
And yet it bears repeating.

aloldstuff
03-22-2012, 04:58 AM
I watched this show last night and was not impressed. Kudos to the first lady who answered her door, get off my property or else I will call the cops. It was all about the money. Now I don't know the actual value of the items that they sold but it seems to me that $6000 was way out of line. I don't think that the show will last long. Sad news is we may have to start negoiating with homeowners when we ask to md their property.

plehbah
03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
BOO

Sal66
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm gald I have people that agree with me. What gets my blood pumping is digging up something that hasn't seen the light of day in 100 - 300 years. I think about they history and what America was like in say the 1700's . My oldest coin is a 1733 King George Copper in AG grade. I don't care if it's worth very little in terms of Money. I think about what a loss it was for someone to lose it back then and to think how primitive things were back then . I would rather have a show piece and a story to go with it then a few dollars in my pocket.
I have only sold one coin ( 1795 Lg. Cent ) and I will only sell something if it's a large hoard of rare coins. Even then I wouldn't sell all of them and by all means won't go to the media with the story, that's when problems come about.
We have to re-gain the trust of the land owner's . Think for once, what is it like when a certain religious group comes to your door. That's how people feel when you ask them to dig up there property. Now, it may be different down South, but up here in New England people are very leary of your intentions and don't want to be bothered. I've heard it many times, It's too much of a liability if someone gets hurt. If you trespass and get hurt, it's your fault. If you are given permission then the landowner is responsible . I don't even know if it matters if you sign a waiver, in a Court of Law .
You would have to be insured just like some MD clubs are plus have money to make it worth their time. More and more land is becoming off limits, soon where will we go ?