PDA

View Full Version : Wet Beach Detecting Tips

Sal66
03-23-2012, 06:48 AM
:) Hi everyone. The post of the Shipwreck is actually about 1/4 walk to the beach that I am going to be staying near, and as you see from the Picture it is very close to our Motel shown in the picture ( Motel is where the manicure grass is ).

My Question being a woods hunter using a White's XLT is what would be good to use on this kind of beach. This is the beach at low tide. By lunchtime ( noon ) , the surf is about halfway between where it is and the back wall . I plan to hit it in the mornings as this is a great opportunity to find items lost before the tide is up. Where would be a good locater for lost gold or silver jewelry? Also, the biggest question is what machines would be good for this muddy wet sand . I hear the XLT is very bad for this muddy sand, so I may have to rent a machine from someone. With 2 1/2 miles of beach and as wide as it is, I doubt I will have an issue finding something good as few people detect here. I don't know why because I called and the Chamber of Commerce people and they said it is LEGAL to Detect in the mornings before the crowd comes. People are even allowed to walk or let their dogs roam in the mornings . As you can see, there are some nice Honey Holes .
I could use all the input I can and even a Gracious Soul to let me rent their machine. I live in North Central Connecticut. If you live near me send me a message if interested.

CODY
03-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Never hunted a beach, so I can't help you much. But, can't wait to see your finds. I know there is good stuff waiting for you there.

midas
03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
The XLT being a single frequency machine will get some falsing from the wet salt sand. To minimize the falsing, turn the disc level off, turn the sensitivity only as high as the machine is stable, ground balance in the wet sand and hunt parallel to the water and keep the coil as close to and level with the ground as possible.

Sal66
04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Ok, well I posted this 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten anyone willing to rent me a beach machine . I figured I'd re-post it in case some of you missed it. I feel using my XLT would be a waste on the wet sand and would feel better having a surf Machine.
My other question is that there are power lines nearby on the street . Not sure if you can see them from the pic . Would they cause a problem or is that a safe away distance ?
I won't be going til July, but I wanted to start searching for a rental now. I'm Not sure if the White's dealer does that sort of thing . i might have to call him .

CODY
04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't think you would have to worry too much about the power lines.

Lowjiber
04-06-2012, 08:17 AM
I've done a bit of beach hunting. In the thread below, I wrote a few tips that you might consider...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=8892.msg100273#msg100273

BTW: I'd loan you my pulse detector, but another member is using it right now.

Sal66
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
That would be nice Lowjiber but I live in Enfield, Connecticut . You live in Nevada. It's a nice gesture though, thanks.

del
04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
BTW: I'd loan you my pulse detector, but another member is using it right now.

very nice gesture John :yes: thumbsup01 (now i know why Jack calls you such a sweetheart lol lol) but i agree your a little too far away , besides i already got him covered. he can use my Dfx and my long handled scoop for his trip to the beach as long as he brings it back in the same condition as he gets it .

its all yours Sal whenever you need it .

Dan

Relic Whisperer
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I do a lot of beach hunting. The question is how trashy is this beach. Iif it has a lot of trash I would suggest an Excal II becuase you can discriminate out trash. Although that might be a tough one to rent. If you don't mind digging (and I mean a lot) you could probably find a shop around there to rent you a whites Dual Field or a Tesoro Sand Shark both of which are PI machines and will find EVERYTING that is metal and as deep at 18 inches sometimes. A sovereign GT is suppose to be in the wet too, but I have never tried one. Remember you will need a firm scoop (not like sand scoop) or shovel to dig in the wet sand. Most places rent those too. Sure is a hot looking beach for a wet sand hunt. Best of Luck.

Eagle 1
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Shipwrick ! what stinking-con shipwrick !! I see no stinking-con shipwerick ?? rofl. I know where you are and I hunt there. It is a very clean beach not trashy at all. However there is some small spots pockets with trash. This is a hard packed beach pepole don't loose thing out there in the hard pack. Not to say there's nothing lost out there there is but very few and far between. If someone drops somethine there it dose not sink like it dose at a soft sand beach. Thay have time to pick it up before it sinks and the only way it will sink is with wave action. Your best bet is where all the pepole are near the wall. From the wall to about 20ft. out that is the sweet spot here for 2 1/2 miles. Get there 1/2 hr. before sunrise so you will have about 2 hr. to hunt before the pepole get there that if the tide is right. The water gose all the way to the wall at high tide. There is know one that rents out MD up here in Maine that I know of. Sorry but I dont lend or rent my MDs out to muck money tied up. Also I have lend one to a frend one and it came back broken. He told me is was that way when he got it and it was not he would not fix it. So I was out time and money. Left a bad tast in my mouth. I use a E-trac and I just got a excalibur II thay are great on the beach. I used to have a V3 and a DFX thay also were great on the beach. One of my frends got a AT PRO for the money it worked great on the beach. Boy for the money the AT PRO is $350. I think you cant go wrong and it is water proof. For what it would cost you to rent you could own it. Most of your finds will be no more then 8 to 10 max. I may see you there this summer good luck.

Eagle 1