PDA

View Full Version : AT PRO

CODY
03-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey folks. I'm just rolling this around in my mind. Thinking about maybe getting a Garrett AT PRO. Reason.....? It rains soooooo much around here. I really think the weather is shifting. I love my Fisher F75 and will not get rid of it. But, there are a lot of days I'm off where it is just misting rain. Scared to get the F75 out in it. Have used the rain cover, but can't see a darn thing once it gets wet. I tend to hunt by sound and sight. I understand the AT PRO can actually go under water to about 10 feet. I don't plan to do that, but I thought it would be nice to have a nachine that you didn't have to worry about if it got wet. So, any of you all use one? What say you?

tcrews
03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Howdy...I use my in light rain with stock headphones and zero issues. I have actually filled up the bath tube and left the pro in there for about 3 hours just to test...again, zero issues :-) Love my machine rain or shine runs like a champ. also, plan on using in local creeks and at the beaches.

dalewestaby
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I just got my ATpro and I've only used it about 3 times. I'm still trying to get used to it since its my 1st advanced detector. Im finding wheaties at decent depths, ill keep you posted on its performance. Waterproof is the only plus so far

HangnMoss
04-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I use an AT Pro. I love the waterproof feature. I can hose it off after a hunt, wade the creek with it & even lay it down in the water while I dig. Just make sure to keep the o-rings greased (battery cover, headphone & coil plugs). Use a good silicone grease to keep it waterproof. The dealer told me to use vaseline, but I've seen petrolium-based lubricants destroy o-rings, so I won't chance it.

The stock headphones are fine in a light rain, they are water resistant. No reason to buy the water proof headphones unless you plan on wading or hunting during downpours. The speaker in the head is also waterproof to 10 feet, so worst case, you can wade (or detect in heavier rains) without any headphones. Just make sure to close off the headphone jack on the detector head with the provided cap. It's attached to the headphone cord, and has a foam washer inside that you should keep lightly greased, as well.

The AT Pro does very well for depth, but it's very noisy in trashy ground. I typically hunt in Pro/Zero with nothing notched and iron disc at 20-30, iron audio off. When I get a decent hit, I turn the iron audio back on and re-sweep the target to check for iron falsing.

Last but not least, when you're hunting wet ground, recheck your ground balance often, especially if you are in heavily mineralized or trashy soil containing a lot of scrap iron or iron minerals. Any iron oxidization in the ground can really come alive in wet soil, especially in compact soils. We've got a lot of magnetite and maghemite in dense clay around my area, and when the soil is saturated, you might as well be detecting over a buried sheet of tin roof - no depth and constant coil overload.

HH

Mudder
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Cody, I plan on getting the Pro just a soon as I can. Like you it does more than its share of raining here, and I would like to think that I could go out no matter what kind of weather we have. I have done a lot of looking around at different machines, but I keep coming back to the Pro every time. :beerbuddy:

Targetseeker
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Good evening and Hello. Just joined the group because I want to gain more knowledge about the hobby. The AT Pro is on my short list of units to purchase. A great product to keep &quot:daydream: rings lubricated can be found at any swimming pool supply store, which is specifically made for o rings used in pool plumbing.

Mudder
10-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Cody
I ment to tell you that you will love the Pro, I have been using mine for about a month now, at locations that I have hunted to death with the Ace 250, and I'm pulling stuff from 8+ inches that I never would have picked up with the old one. I really like the pro mode, it has multiple tones and does a great job of discrimination. As far a water goes, I put mine under the hose today to get the mud and dirt off of it, and it came out smiling. I don't think that you could go wrong with it for your rainy day hunts, and it is suppose to do well at the beach, but I have not had the opportunity to try that yet. Phil