PDA

View Full Version : Farm Fresh - Interesting and Mystery Button.... HELP !! :-) (Solved)

CTDirtFisher
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello all!

Been hunting a farm field and lots of button were a popping out of the ground... but I have one that looks interesting and need some ID help...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/FooserPaul/MD2012/Mar/button.jpg

Thank you in Advance!
Paul

CTDirtFisher
03-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Solved: Thanks for Deepsecrets...

Stack's : (ca. 1832-33) Oregon Territory Phoenix button. Brass. Rulau-E Ore 5 var. Very Fine. (1542692810)

Metal buttons bearing the Phoenix bird, the motto Je Renais De Mes Cendres which roughly translates to I rise from my own ashes. A number have been found in quantity in historic sites along the lower Columbia River, and less commonly throughout western North America. Phoenix buttons were not made for Napoleon, as often claimed, but were manufactured by an English firm in the early 1800's for King Christophe of Haiti. The Phoenix bird and the motto come from his coat of arms; the numbers refer to regiments. These military uniform buttons were brought to the Northwest before 1835 by an independent trader, most likely Nathaniel Wyeth, who probably used uniform coats, which he may have obtained earlier when shipping ice to the West Indies, to trade for fish for his salmon packing plant on the Columbia River.

del
03-24-2012, 07:18 PM
great detective work Paul , these buttons are turning up alot lately in many areas of the U.S.