PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunt with Del

coinnut
03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Our usualy Saturday morning hunt. Up at 3:45, meet at 5, there by 6AM lol You know fun stuff. The weather was about 28 this morning. so a little chilly to start, but man did it heat up. It must have got into the mid 50's at least. Definitely over dressed :rolleyes: Had a very good day today. Not a lot of targets but some good ones for the collection. Got my usual clad and yes an oxknob (some bone still in it). Some kind of bullet looking thing. Don't really think it would fire well, but it sure does look like a bullet. A very bad wheaty, a corroded 1865 2 cent piece (it looks like a 7 but it's a 5), and finally my 5th Connecticut copper this year. What's up with that? :confused: :confused: This one is kinda unique though. It was struck off center, so some of the lettering is lower than usual, but it was also mis-struck at an angle. The only parts that came through on the strike were the works CONNEC on the obverse, and INDE - ET. Nothing else no LIB, no date, no portraits front or back. So a odd one for sure. Finally a couple of musket balls and a real nice Civil War Infantry button. But the weather stole the show lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
very nice! ya never fail when it comes to posting ;) cool Ct copper and love that infantry button! thumbsup01
that key hole plate is cool too!
a gorgeous day with some incredible finds! :yes:

del
03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
good day out , weather wise and the finds weren't to shabby either . the copper is indeed a strange cookie :confused: :confused: i bet you can still get variety from it though :yes: the eagle button came out very nice man did ya use what you said to clean it , it almost looks like silver plating on it :huh: :huh: whats the backmark read :huh: :huh: and that is a pretty sweet key hole plate with scroll work. good job today.

angellionel
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I began to nod off when I read 3:45. lol You sure had a great day for detecting, and with some sweet finds too. thumbsup01 That sure is one unique looking CT copper. :confused: I would take the 2-cent piece any day too. :yes:

Epi-hunter
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Great finds! I can't believe you voluntarily get up at 3:45AM. :confused: lol

I love the coins thumbsup01 The ground there is so tough on those coppers though... you need to find one in the Midwest, they come out beautiful.

I want to find a 2 cent piece :crying02:

coinnut
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
:yes: the eagle button came out very nice man did ya use what you said to clean it , it almost looks like silver plating on it :huh: :huh: whats the backmark read :huh: :huh:

The button came out real nice. It's hard to read the back because that's the worst side of it. But I think I can make out Scoville Waterbury. And I used a Dremmel tool and Ajax to clean it lol Not really :rolleyes: I just used my brass brush and dish soap and kept it real wet when scrubbing. Then I rubbed a bit of Cape Cod polishing cloth on it, but I'm not real convinced it did anything to it lol

coinnut
03-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I began to nod off when I read 3:45. lol You sure had a great day for detecting, and with some sweet finds too. thumbsup01 That sure is one unique looking CT copper. :confused: I would take the 2-cent piece any day too. :yes:

Thanks I used to be young enough to just call 3:45 the middle of the party lol Now I get up just to see Del :crying02: rofl rofl

Great finds! I can't believe you voluntarily get up at 3:45AM. :confused: lol

I love the coins thumbsup01 The ground there is so tough on those coppers though... you need to find one in the Midwest, they come out beautiful.

I want to find a 2 cent piece :crying02:

Voluntarily?? It seems you don't know about what coppers do to you. They are hypnotic. :crazy: They call you until you get out of bed....usually about 3:45 AM rofl The ground here can be real cruel on coppers. Most times we are just happy to get an ID on them. I have a ton of coppers that you can't make out what they are. I need to MRI them and X ray them and CAT Scan them lol Hey whatever works ;) You will find a 2 cent piece one day :rolleyes: or you will be like this :ticked: Gimme a two cent piece NOW lol

del
03-06-2010, 07:47 PM
well i for one only got up at 4 am. :rolleyes: and yeah i was over dressed too. ;) the weather was beautiful today ,i think the Dfx was acting strange this morning because this was the firts time this year it wasn't processing info through all the snow cover :shocked04:stretcher: it just wasn't use to it lol lol we hiked our usual death march through the woods to meet up to an old road we thought would have some old cellar sites and we were right . two smaller older colonials and some really older pewter buttons showed up along with some tombac buttons and a large silver tinned rosette ,a colonial pewter knee buckle and a crappy shaped fat indian . we ended up at the mill site with cellar foundation we were at last weekend thats where i picked up the 1826 large cent . enjoy the spring like pictures of the area .

Dan

del
03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
pictures of the finds now

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-06-2010, 07:53 PM
nice relics and that 1826 is in great shape! so much area to cover too.
nice job you guys! thumbsup01
please give an elbow to the copper Gods (who are your buddies i'm sure) and ask em to bless me tomorrow please :rolleyes:
awesome hunt!!

del
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks I used to be young enough to just call 3:45 the middle of the party lol Now I get up just to see Del :crying02: rofl

hey your no Meagan Fox pal :mad: :bangahead01: :bop: lol lol

Voluntarily?? It seems you don't know about what coppers do to you. They are hypnotic. :crazy: They call you until you get out of bed....usually about 3:45 AM rofl

:shocked04: :shocked04: maybe you should layoff smelling the vicks vapor rub and caffine before you go to bed Coinnut . lol rofl rofl

nice relics and that 1826 is in great shape! so much area to cover too.
nice job you guys! thumbsup01
please give an elbow to the copper Gods (who are your buddies i'm sure) and ask em to bless me tomorrow please :rolleyes:
awesome hunt!!

alright Dave but i know what your not going to find , a Connecticut copper because George has found almost all of them lately . the dude has got five this year and what now George atleast 3 or 4 in a row . hey don't you have a different copper setting on that e-trac man. :tongue:

John M
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Well once again you guys came home with some nice stuff.
George that it a nice infantry button bud and the ct. copper is unique being off centered.
I like that colonial buckle as well Dan.Congrats to you both on the Coppas and the day was just great to get out.
I had to miss the day as my wife set me up with the eye Doc. Got my eyes all gooped up and that was pretty much the day....now got to wait for my new addition to come in.After 46 years I just can't see up close any more.

sniffy
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
wow, absolutely NO snow....and you guys are further north!....All my sites still have plenty of snow to go around....I can't wait to hit these sites at maximum depth. I'm sure I'll scrounge up some nice things. Awesome post you guys!

coinnut
03-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Uhmm... you see, as I was cleaning the junk targets from this hunt, I came upon this mass of bent metal and caked on....uhmm dirt and uhmm.... I said to my self, do I clean this cause I think it's starting to look like something I shouldn't throw into the scrap pile, uhm... :-\, or do I take the razzing I'm gonna get from Del on this one and post it :-\ lol Ah, what the heck rofl here it is. I unbent it as well as I could, after I noticed that scrap looks like another powder flask (complete with hole in center lol) Boy do I have some choice works for the fella that decided to shoot or punch a nail threw that one :ticked: So that's my story Del and I'm stickin to it :embarrassed:

del
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
wow , George you found that at the last cellar :huh: i could understand how it could look like a mass of twisted muddy metal at first :yes: but if thats your shovel mark on the side of it , then your partly to blame why you didn't recognize it and i'm just going to have to take that shovel away and make ya go back to digging with your hands again . lol lol

coinnut
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
wow , George you found that at the last cellar :huh: i could understand how it could look like a mass of twisted muddy metal at first :yes: but if thats your shovel mark on the side of it , then your partly to blame why you didn't recognize it and i'm just going to have to take that shovel away and make ya go back to digging with your hands again . lol lol

:crying02: :crying02: not back to digging with my hands again :crying02: That hurts you know lol Yea the back side was bent over (that's not a shovel mark :tongue:)so it looked like some junk metal. I bent it back and rounded the top a bit and it's a powder flask. You know me, I find thing in quantity. Once I find one, I find more. rofl It's thicker than the first one I found. It was inside the barn ruins. I guess it was a pretty good hunt after all :yes: