PDA

View Full Version : FIRST SILVER COIN - EVER! The drought is OVER! Wheeeew!

zachattack
03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Pics will be added when I get to my other computer this evening!!!! :white:usaflag::

I went on a 4-hour hunt this past Thursday in a very old neighborhood in the town of Elvins, Missouri. (It's now a part of Park Hills, MO) There is a huge strip of land with a sidewalk in the center that cuts up through the entire area. This town used to be one of the hotspots of the whole area, movie theaters, bars, stores, etc.etc.etc. It was a hopping town until the lead mine closed and then it died out completely. There is a Casey's convenience store there now and that is absolutely IT!

Anyhow, I got swarmed with neighborhood kids who were wanting to know what I was doing and how all of the stuff I was finding got there.... I explained to them that people had been using this strip of land since the late 1800's and that their town used to be a hoppin' joint! (People simply dropped the stuff!) I showed them how the detector worked and how to properly dig and refill holes. I let a couple of them dig a target or two and they were completely fascinated. It felt good to share all of that with these kids.....

Moving on..

I dug several clad coins and a ton of junk during this hunt. It was starting to get dark and I was gonna call it quits. It never fails, when I start detecting my way back to my van, I start finding good stuff!

I dug a Missouri Mill tax token. I thought it was a large cent and I about passed out....

Approximately 5 minutes later, I hit a signal around 3 - It was a 1941 Mercury Dime in outstanding condition. (My first Silver coin!)

I am going to put this coin in a holder and slap it in a picture frame for my desk! hahah

aloldstuff
03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Slapping that merc in a frame is a sure fire way to remember your first silver. Little kids can have quite a mix of questions for us Mder's. I am the one that usually gets the kids and my partners always laugh at that. BIG congrats on your first silver.

Snapolson
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Glad for ya on the first silver! Congrats.

RaZR
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
[size=24pt]Congratulations
on your first silver. Now go get the rest! lol :grin:

GL/HH

Fire Fighter 43
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
:wow: Congrats on your first silver, now the fever will start and it will be all you can think about, LOL. Here's wishing you many more. |:cheering:

MassDirtFisher
03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Way to go!! Silver is contagious!! Now you have the bug, congrats on a first of many more to come. Happy Hunting!!

CODY
03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
:omg: There's no turning back now! You are now offically addicted! You will never forget that first Silver. Congrats! thumbsup01 Welcome to the club! Now, time to get down and dirty! Go find some more!

POKIE73
03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
congrats on you first silver may there be many more good luck hunting dennis

Cheap Thrills
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Congrats on your first Silver ( a nice Merc is a fitting coin) and on being a Jedi Master to some future detectorists . |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Huge congrats on your first silver coin, Zach! <: :clapping:

Now you'll be finding them left and right! thumbsup01

Good job! :beerbuddy:

milco
03-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the first of what I hope will be many!

jkress
03-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Big time score!!!!!! <:

The first one is exhilarating. :smitten: Great job sticking with it to find your first silver rim. |:confused:)

Once the seal is broke... they come much easier. :yes:

I'm looking forward to following your posts this season. :->

AmxFred
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Congratulations! The first one is the hardest one. Now they will start to flow. I only got 15 silvers in 2011 but I have 34 so far in 2012. Swing slow and you will find the deep ones. Happy hunting!

starman2
03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
:perfect10:!! Congrats on your first Silver. I know I was really excited when I found my first. And that was not that long ago. There's more to come!! WTG! |:cheering: