PDA

View Full Version : Got my toy today!

Bubbalew
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I got my new Ace 350 today, and I was like a little kid ripping open a present for Christmas! After putting it all together and heading out to my front and back yard ( I have a little under a acre) it was in no time I was picking up beeps like crazy. I got a little discouraged with the first half hour or so just finding junk and having to dig holes big enough to throw a cow in, but it was very exciting after I found a small badge of some sort, and a good luck token. I found about 15 cents in CLAD, but it was short lived after I broke the little shovel that it came with. So I headed off to the nearest hardware store to buy another.

After about the 3rd hole I dug the darn shovel broke again and it was METAL! A couple problems I kept having is my pin pointer kept picking up my wedding band and I kept thinking I had found something. Also, I'm having a problem getting use to just how to pin point with the Ace 350. It seems like after I pinpoint, I dig a plug, and the target always seems to be a inch if not more away from the hole and I end up digging a even bigger hole and have trouble finding things with the pin pointer.

I am very impressed however that the 350 goes really deep! A few time I found targets at 10 inches if not more! Would anyone out there be able to give me some advice on how to pin point better and more accurately?
I am already looking forward to going out again, as it started raining. But for sure tomorrow I will be out again trying some tot lots or parks if it don't rain.

POKIE73
03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
the biggest tip i can give you is take your time and crisscross over the target it will take time but you will get better there is no shortcut for time in the feild good luck dennis

Jeff (or)
03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Congrats on the new detector! I suggest going to Youtube and type in pinpointing a target, garrett they have some fairly decent videos on the subject. And then practice, practice, practice! Then when you feel you can recover a target with little or no damage, you will be ready to hit the tot lots and parks. For most small targets you should be able to recover them with a probe (screwdriver) or a good quality trowel. As you learn your detector more and have questions, just ask. There are a lot of great folks on here that are willing to help. Go have fun.

Bubbalew
03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you! I'm looking it up now! ;)

CODY
03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Jeff had the best advice. Practice, practice, practice! My favorite saying in MDing, &quot:beerbuddy:ecome one with your machine, and the force will be with you

Bubbalew
03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm guessing I must have had different expectations once I got my 350.....I went out today again and I'm still having the same problems with pin pointing with the coil. Although I did learn that I'm digging my plugs way to small, It still seems like at times I'm at least a couple inches off the target and I'm finding things in the sidewalls of the hole and having to dig bigger holes. Also I don't know if my pro pointer 9volt battery is weak already but I
it seems like its getting tougher to zero in with it. Got a little discouraged today, I went to some local parks and was getting nothing but junk. It was only until I went to the playground and got into the wood chips did I find any coins. Let me tell ya wood chips seem harder to find things in! Anyway as it's been told to me practice, practice, practice.....I plan on trying again!
:groovy:

Fire Fighter 43
03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
There is nothing like time in the field. congrats on your new machine and HH

Toadman
03-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Have someone put coins right on top of the ground, and cover them, no real need to dig, to be a pro at finding the center