PDA

View Full Version : Metal detecting the orphanage

MinelabIowa
03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I asked and received permission to hunt a building and grounds here that used to house a orphanage for 81 years, beginning in 1876. When I received permission from the administrator to hunt there. It was agreed that I would donate any items that was historically significant to the history of the orphanage. The administrator asked if I would search the attic and basement also. He told me that a couple of old cap guns where found in the attic in the past. The orphanage that is now a retirement home. There is going to be a open house there soon so the timing was right for all. The plan is to display any items, I found at the open house. I have donated to museums dug items before. I believe it reflects well on our hobby to give back once in a while. I felt honored by his request.

I set out last saturday to give it a go and I was not disappointed in my finds. The hunt was for 3 hours and I found The red toy car and the battleship toy. I found $1.26 in clad change also. No old coins that day. Skip ahead to today 03-31-12 I made a call and invited Dennis over from Wisconsin Today 3-31 to finish up. We both went slow and dug everything, except iron.

Todays finds for me was the old fire engine toy,a old button, 2 tokens, 1 wheat penny, 1 1944 farthing and a 1945 Mercury dime. And a pile of junk. We had a great time in our 4 and a half hour hunt. All the toy items and the tokens are going to be donated.

POKIE73
03-31-2012, 07:00 PM
looks like you had a busy few hours digging quite a variety of finds glad to see you back i liked you guys in your videos at the old fairgrounds good luck hunting dennis

MassDirtFisher
03-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Nice looking loot, congrats on a great hunt. Happy Hunting!!

Cheap Thrills
03-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Nice finds and kudos on the good deeds . Some of those finds look old enough to have been used by some of the facililtie's current residents . I love the long , red Dusenberg looking car . |:cheering:

CODY
03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Great finds! The red car is sweet! Congrats! thumbsup01

MinelabIowa
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Thankyou all. It's great to be back. My wife is doing very well. Her cancer (so far) is in remission. I have not left her side since December. She gave me her blessing to hunt. I have alittle spring fever. I am happy to be outside after the mild winter here.

starman2
04-01-2012, 09:22 AM
:perfect10:! Some great finds! I noticed the tooth past tube. It's funny how many of those we find. Congrats on a great relic hunt! |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
04-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Nice hunt, the old toys are very cool. |:cheering: thank you for being a good ambassador for the hobby, I'm sure it will go along way with other peoples views of the hobby.

DennisH
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
That's alot of great finds and I had a great time hunting that outstanding place with you. Thanks for the invite. ps I will be posting my finds alittle later. Again, thanks Joe and great finds.

Epi-hunter
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
That is a fantastic story... as I view your photos of the cars my mind sees the kids in the orphanage playing with them on the grounds so many years ago. What a great contribution that will be to the open house and the history of the place! I would love to do a hunt such as that. Congratulations! :perfect10: :perfect10:

jkress
04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Great post Joe. :clapping:
I always like digging old toys, but digging them from the area you are hunting definitely
adds another interesting layer to the story. :yes:
Glad to see you are getting out again and I'm very happy to hear your wife is doing well. :)

Tony Two-Cent
04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Congrats on the Merc and the old toy cars! Great story and some neat items that have some history behind them.

Great news about your wife too! I hope she continues on her road to full recovery. thumbsup01

Full Metal Digger
04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Dude, I am in love with that red car! What is that, a Packard? Nice of you to donate the stuff to the old folks home. I wonder if any of them were orphans there too? HH, Dave.

tanacat
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Thankyou all. It's great to be back. My wife is doing very well. Her cancer (so far) is in remission.

Good to hear this :yes: Congrats on the silver & a nice pile of finds- I love finding the toys!

MinelabIowa
04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you again for the nice comments. The red car I think is a Duesenburg? Not positive though? We had our photo's taken while we hunted here is one of them. This is me.

Joe Andresen of Dubuque and Dennis Hughes of Janesville, WI, were invited to scan for metal objects that reflect the history of the Home. Findings include harness buckles, a toy train and a battleship from the early 1900's, and an adult and a child's play ring.

aloldstuff
04-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm gonna be the odd ball here...I think that the ship is the cool find. Really nice that the museum has you on their side. Congrats on all the finds, especially the toys.

zachattack
04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I can only imagine the stories that could come this place! If those items could talk.......