PDA

View Full Version : Can some one tell me why....?

Bubbalew
03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Can anyone tell me why I am having this problem with my Ace 350....The last couple days of hunting I get a signal in coin mode, telling me its anywhere in the nickel, dime and quarter range, and when I pin point it and dig it up its either been a pull tab, or something entirely different from a coin. Am I being to literal and having to much expectations from the 350 or is this something that just comes with the hobby?

I DO find coins, but more times than not, its nothing close to what it says it is. Also when I put it in Jewelry mode its picking up foil wrappers and pull tabs. I dunno, maybe I am just impatient and had a different idea of what this metal detector can do, BUT its sure gets frustrating when your out for 2 hours and you find 2 pennies and every other hole turns up a pull tab or junk....Example, I got a signal for a quarter, I dug and dug and dug...finally after about a foot down I found a old rusty door hinge..... What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be nice. >{ >:{ :crazy: :confused:

Rob L
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Wish I could help you out on the ACE 350. I have a Whites DFX. Most metal detectors are similar. Don't get discouraged. I've been out plenty of times with nothing to show but junk. All it takes is one good find. Also it depends where you are hunting. Some sites just don't have anything good. A metal detector can only tell you what it thinks is under the coil, sometimes you will get a good reading from junk. But if there is something good under it, nine out of ten times it will identify it as good. Keep at it, something good will come.

CODY
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Always remember, every metal detector will speak to you. It is our job to learn what it is saying. When I got my first detector, I had about the same story as you. Many years passed. This time around, I picked my detector. But before I ordered it I read the online manual till I knew it front and back. Then I ordered the detector. When It arrived I read the manual that came with it over and over. I took the detector in the back yard and practiced, practiced and practised some more. I laid out tin cans, pennies,(zinc & copper) nickels, dimes and quarters, (clad & silver). Nails, anything I could find. I probably did this for 2 weeks before I actually went MDing. I became one with the machine. I knew what it was telling me. But, don't think these little devils don't have a sense of humor. Every now and then it will lie to you, just to keep you on your toes. Have patence my friend, and learn the machine, and good things will come!

Ill Digger
03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
It is part of the hobby :yes: :rolleyes: A lot of times junk will give off those types of signals. It's giving you the signals for what it thinks it is...but it's junk! So you get a junk signal. Other times there maybe two or more object in near proximity to one another. Therefor the machine is trying to tell you about both or all of the targets at once. A couple of tips. 1) Always re scan your freshly back filled hole for another signal you may have missed. ;) 2) Hunting injewelery mode on any detector will allow for lower conductive targets to be detected i.e; foil, tabs... because gold falls in those same ranges. Therefore less discrimination equals more gold....at least that's the idea. :dontknow: It doesn't always work out that way. Not for me at least. lol Most of all just go out and practice. Have fun! The more times it tells you something and you can actually see what it is. The better of a understanding you'll have in the future in similar situations. Like the other have said Practice, practice, practice... dig, dig, dig,... thumbsup01

POKIE73
04-01-2012, 06:28 AM
like everbody is saying it takes time and a lot of in the field expereince some day it will just come to you but remember this the detector can only tell what it thinks it is no detector is 100 percent right in areas with a lot of trash you are going to dig some bad targets one tip is if you go to parks with ballfields sometimes it is a lot less trashy out in the middle of the fields compared to the picnic ares it depends on the area dont give up ther coins to be found it just is not quite as easy sometimes good luck dennis

Epi-hunter
04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
You are doing nothing wrong. The others gave good advice.

Keep in mind that the id category is really just an educated guess. There are hundreds of different conductivities for metal and the good and undesirable targets overlap. There are only three or four categories of target ID on the ACE so everything is forced into one of these, depending on what it most likely is according to the machine.

For example, as Tim stated above, an item that IDs in the jewelry range is not always going to be jewelry (in fact, usually will NOT be jewelry), because most trash (foil, pulltabs etc) are also midrange conductivity and there is a lot more trash in the ground than gold. However, in most cases an actual jewelry item will correctly ID in the jewelry category. No machine can totally discriminate out all trash from all good targets. The higher-end machines give more information than the ACE does, but it is always true that you have to learn to use clues as to what the machine is telling you.

In terms of the ACE, if you have a strong coin signal and have dug several inches and found nothing, it's likely that you are hearing a large piece of deeply buried iron or steel (iron falsing in the coin range is common to all machines). Learning to use the pinpoint feature and the depth reading to help assess this will give you additional information about that as well.

Bubbalew
04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try and try again and take extra time to learn the sounds and identities. Maybe go as far as bring a notebook and document. I guess in hindsight I just had this expectation of going out and just finding something right off the bat and not have to work at it. That said I'm going out next time to learn.

CODY
04-02-2012, 07:53 AM
There you go. I have a metalic colored sharpie that I have written all over the F75 with. Just little tips to remind me of things. Just do your own thing and have fun with it.

SHIMMER77502
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Since your detector is reading the conductivity of the metals, what you see is not always what you get. Example: 14Kt gold will ring up as a pull tab. 10Kt gold shows as a bottlecap. Platinum reads as foil.

What you are also going to have to do is be selective on what and where you dig. If you are in a really trashy area, you might go home with a million pull tabs. If you are out in a more open area, that pull tab signal may actually be a piece of gold. Me personally, I never dig pull tab signals in a picnic area. I may be walking away from gold every once in a while but I also won't go home with an aching back.