PDA

View Full Version : NEW CELLAR HOLE* VIRGIN SPOT

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
well with dreams of coppers dancin in my head last night and a restless night 9am came and mikey called :grin:
the walk up the trail in anticipation of what may lie underfeat constantly flashing through my head.
about a half mile up there she was :drool: surveyed the area snapped a pic of smiley in the hole.well wishes and off we go!
first couple of swings BAM i got a button near lip of hole.then mike yells button! another few swings i yell to mike got another button!
i'm thinkin oh yeah gonna be an awesome day!
mike yells got a cloaker! sweet! 2 more pewter buttons for me and a small decorative one.
mike yells i think i got a coin signal.asked him if i can check it before he digs.nice qtr penny/dime signal at 7 inches on my machine.
he digs....king george!
i'm thinkin this sites gonna be great.
now all these targets came out in first hour close to cellar hole.
the next few hours no targets.we fanned out away from hole.
nothing? :confused:
the rest of the day went downhill from there.
was a fun day and happy a few decent targets came out.i told mike i think this site may be worth going back to and spend some time there.
but a virgin site it's NOT :crying02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
last ones

coinnut
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Well I know the feeling rofl We had that same luck when we found our virgin hole :rolleyes: Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't talk rofl :cheesysmile: . I can honestly say I know how you feel pal :crying02: :crying02: But the good news is that it was hit by someone with either an inferior machine or an inferior attitude ;) When you go back, hit it very slow and work them signals well. I know there will be more coppers there. It's in a nice time period. KGIII is around the 1770's. It's probably regal, since it read so high on his machine. Still a number one priority if it were on my list. Remember our virgin hole eventually produced 7 or 8 coppers, 2 beautiful NY militia buttons, a nice powder flask, gun parts, etc... There are tons of good targets still there. Trust me. :huh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Well I know the feeling rofl We had that same luck when we found our virgin hole :rolleyes: Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't talk rofl :cheesysmile: . I can honestly say I know how you feel pal :crying02: :crying02: But the good news is that it was hit by someone with either an inferior machine or an inferior attitude ;) When you go back, hit it very slow and work them signals well. I know there will be more coppers there. It's in a nice time period. KGIII is around the 1770's. It's probably regal, since it read so high on his machine. Still a number one priority if it were on my list. Remember our virgin hole eventually produced 7 or 8 coppers, 2 beautiful NY militia buttons, a nice powder flask, gun parts, etc... There are tons of good targets still there. Trust me. :huh:

i think its definitely worth a return trip.alot of area away from cellar hole too.no well at this site? any ideas why not?

coinnut
03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
i think its definitely worth a return trip.alot of area away from cellar hole too.no well at this site? any ideas why not?

Yep, we get a lot of sites without wells, but that's not really true. They all had wells. Some of them were right inside the cellar hole (indoor plumbing lol), others were buried up by people later on so no kid would fall in them. We even found some at the end of a wall. Easy to get to it and you won't forget where it is in those not so sober moments :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
G what's regal on non regal coins mean?

coinnut
03-07-2010, 06:11 PM
G what's regal on non regal coins mean?

Regal = Like a king or fit for a king. It was the term used to say that coins minted in Britain were of the kings issue (The real deal lol) They were guaranteed to be of quality copper and a full half pennies worth. Non-regal is what counterfeiters did. They would mix and devalue the metal and keep the extra copper as profit. If it were a counterfeit (and most were here in America) it would read like around a screw cap.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Regal = Like a king or fit for a king. It was the term used to say that coins minted in Britain were of the kings issue (The real deal lol) They were guaranteed to be of quality copper and a full half pennies worth. Non-regal is what counterfeiters did. They would mix and devalue the metal and keep the extra copper as profit. If it were a counterfeit (and most were here in America) it would read like around a screw cap.

ah! thanks for that info. thumbsup01

sniffy
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Looks like you guys had a nice hunt...I'm sure there's plenty more there!

angellionel
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
That's another very nice hunt you guys had, Dave. The site is definitely one I would be hitting again, very slowly too. I wish you much success the next time out there.

Forino
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
1773 is the year, im almost positive

del
03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
i remember those exciting sleepless nights , with visions of buttons and coppers dancing in my head lol lol rofl sorry Dave . but experience has shown me that the words virgin cellar co-incides with terms like once in a blue moon , when pigs fly, or a certain place freezes they can happen but they are pretty rare occasions . i agree with Coinnut if ya pound it hard i bet they left 5 to 9 coins laying around . this is a good time of the year to hunt it before the ground drys up.i think you guys did well and deffinately go back and finds some more its a great time period for key finds of the era .

1773 is the year, im almost positive

hey its Mikey good to see ya here , if its 1773 theres a good chance for a counterfiet , nice job guys .

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
i definitely want to go back thumbsup01. we only worked around the hole maybe 20-30 yrds around it

John M
03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Good looking site,Everything looks to be 1700's.Those are some nice old buttons.When I first started to cellar hole hunt I was told by somebody to stay away from the hole.The first 10-12 feet was nothing but junk and nobody spent time that close to their house.Well I found out that wasn't true but whoever hit this spot may have searched away from it.