PDA

View Full Version : V3i Ground Probe - Ground Balance Questions :huh:

Digger
04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Ground Probe - Ground Balance Questions :huh:

Q1. When doing a ground probe over clean ground how far under the ground does the probe see ? And please dont
tell me as far as it can, heard that before, approximately in , we'll say with the 10DD coil ( R10, AM-70, Disc 90 ).

Q2. When ground balancing I scan the ground in search mode listening to the audio ( 5tone ferrous clicks and threshold ) for no sounds and then i pinpoint scan area for no targets or threshold increase, all is good area is clean BUT while scanning in pinpoint i notice im getting frequency bars and a depth reading we'll say 6 inches with no audio or vdis.When i go to do the ground balance same thing frequency bars and 6 depth reading. Is that telling me there is mineralization down there at 6 inches and if it is how is that gonna effect my depth with the V3i and the target vdis deeper than 6 inches or will i even see targets deeper than 6 inches ?
Sure could use your help on this, :confused:
Thanks John

CyberSage
04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello Digger!
I don't think you will ever find a reliable answer giving a fixed depth on the ground probe function of the V3/V3i. The result of the ground probe function is determined by many variables. The settings on your V3/V3i, the Mineralization of your ground, and environmental conditions (EMI). This determination is precisely what the probe function is for in the first place. In theory by watching the probe results, and adjusting accordingly, you can determine your greatest possible penetration into the ground with a given coil, and frequency. This was The idea anyway. You can take away other information as well, the possible Mineralization strength of your soil is just one of them. Adjusting settings over a deep coin is a far better way to determine most settings in my opinion.
Don't go overboard on ground balancing. If you can pinpoint an area from a couple of different starting points and not get audio feedback this is a good place to ground balance. So many people get fixated on ground balance. While it is important, it is not that hard to achieve. If in doubt, just use the auto feature, and the vast majority of times it will take care of itself. If you are in a high EMI environment, the lock track is important to get accurate frequency response in pinpoint mode. I know these probably are not the answers you are looking for, but the V3/V3i is a wonderful feat of engineering. Probably to much so. It is actually a very simply machine to use. The average user just does not need most of these bells and whistles that Whites has given us. They sure are fun though, if you have a mind to play with them. I enjoy tweaking this machine a lot. It's part of the fun for me. :yes:

Jack

Digger
04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Jack, i got a little concerned seeing the frequency bars and a depth reading even though there is no targets under my coil while doing a ground balance. Our soil can be pretty tough here in Pa. sometimes especially the places i hunt, but like you said i should be ok as long as there is no audio response. Thanks again for your help, appreciate it.
John |:cheering:

kingskid
09-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Ground around here runs -91-94 with mineralization strength under 5% on all 3 freqs.