PDA

View Full Version : A Silver Grid

angellionel
03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I made a return trip to the park I worked yesterday. I selected another section and slowly worked a grid making three passes from different directions. It was tedious, but it also proved to be effective. By the end of the hunt I had another eleven silver pieces in my pouch! :thumbsup01:

A 1941 mercury dime is still being hugged by the soil.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/1941mercinsoil_030910.jpg

While slowly sweeping my coil and filtering through the abundance of tones from the surface trash, a slight high-pitched tone grabbed my attention. Making short sweeps over the area allowed the machine to get a better lock on the target separating it from the abundant surface trash. Now I knew it was a good one! After cutting a plug and digging out some soil this is what I saw -a Standing Liberty quarter. Yes, George, I finally dug another one. :lol:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/slqinsoil_030910.jpg

Today's silver - a dateless Standing Liberty quarter, a 1904 Barber dime, seven mercury dimes, dated, 1916, 1918, 1934, 1935, 1941, 1944, and 1944, and two Roosevelt dimes, dated 1954 and 1964-D.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/silvercoins_030910.jpg

Also among the finds were twenty three wheat cents and one 1897 Indian Head cent.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/wheatcents_030910.jpg

HH!

Ferrous
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I am in awe :shocked04: of your coin finding abilities. Truly impressed. Very nice.

coinnut
03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
:lol: :lol: That Standing Lib doesn't count :lol: - NO Date ;) But did you check that 1916 for a "D"? Great hunt again and I hear the Mint is starting to look into you for helping them keep up there silver reserve :rofl:

Beefcake
03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone know the record for number of times you can try to view a tracking number on UPS... Angel, you are making this wait for my E-trac torturous!!!!!! Another 11.. Are you kidding me! Wow... just wow... I asked a meer 5 days or so ago about your totals for this year so far... who knew, you would find so many I wouldn't be able to keep count again in that short period of time!

Beefcake
03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Hey Angel... This year seems to be extraordinary... even for you! Is there something that you are doing different, or a different tweeking of the E-trac program you use? or just understanding the E-trac better from studying/testing more in the winter? Just curious... I've never seen such a streak! Just wonder if a pointer or two might come about.

xzlr8n
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow!! How big an area was this loot found?? Your technique has unlocked the treasures below for sure!! :thumbsup01:

Epi-hunter
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Come on Angel, let's have some pointers :grin:

I lost count of the number of silver today. But my phone battery is almost dead :lol:

Beautiful coins as usual. George is right; that SLQ needs a date before you can count it :lol:

angellionel
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
:lol: :lol: That Standing Lib doesn't count :lol: - NO Date ;) But did you check that 1916 for a "D"? Great hunt again and I hear the Mint is starting to look into you for helping them keep up there silver reserve :rofl:

Oh man, not fair! Wait, I think I can make out a date now. :cheesysmile:

Yeah, I checked for a 'D' on the 1916 merc. Nothing. What a letdown. :bummer: I have to find one now. :lol:

Hey Angel... This year seems to be extraordinary... even for you! Is there something that you are doing different, or a different tweeking of the E-trac program you use? or just understanding the E-trac better from studying/testing more in the winter? Just curious... I've never seen such a streak! Just wonder if a pointer or two might come about.

I am still using the same program. :) After last year's hunt with the E-Trac I am much more familiarized with the tones produced by desirable targets found within trashy areas. :yes:

Wow!! How big an area was this loot found?? Your technique has unlocked the treasures below for sure!! :thumbsup01:

I'm guessing it was a 30 by 60 area. :confused: Not big relative to the size of the park. :)

Come on Angel, let's have some pointers :grin:

I lost count of the number of silver today. But my phone battery is almost dead :lol:

Beautiful coins as usual. George is right; that SLQ needs a date before you can count it :lol:

So now it doesn't count? :lol: I will remember that when you dig one too. :tongue: :lol:

leslie(nova scotia)
03-10-2010, 06:26 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....having yourself a great silver year. Keep it up and keep posting as I never get tired of looking at the finds!

John M
03-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Goes to show that patience pays off,Slow and steady does win the race.Anyone can pick off the surface finds but you are showing all of us how to really get it done.

coinnut
03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
So now it doesn't count? :lol: I will remember that when you dig one too. :tongue: :lol:

I only dig the Standing Liberty Quarters that have dates :rolleyes: :lol:

hoser
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
OYE! You do have the touch my friend thats for sure. Getting back to your grid, on the average how big of an area do you usually hunt when you do use a grid pattern? Also what makes you decide to grid or do you do it all of the time. Just wondering as I kinda stagger around like a drunken sailor. :twirlingeyes: By the looks of your hunts I better rethink how I go about mine from now on. ;) :yes:

del
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
every post is more pain from the armstwisting your giving me :crying02: :crying02:. your making it very hard to not pick up an e-trac , my friend . :bangahead02: :bangahead02: :tongue:
very cool to see all the silver your comming home with .

I only dig the Standing Liberty Quarters that have dates :rolleyes: :lol:

thats true Angel but remind him that he's looking for coppers when he does find a silver coin and most of his coppers have no date , so with that theory in mind tell him they don't count .

angellionel
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
OYE! You do have the touch my friend thats for sure. Getting back to your grid, on the average how big of an area do you usually hunt when you do use a grid pattern? Also what makes you decide to grid or do you do it all of the time. Just wondering as I kinda stagger around like a drunken sailor. :twirlingeyes: By the looks of your hunts I better rethink how I go about mine from now on. ;) :yes:

It depends on the mood I'm in. :lol: Last year I did an entire field which took the better part of the day, but it was worth it. I don't grid all the time though. Usually I just walk around, but if I start finding wheat cents or a silver dime or two, and the site was known for yielding old coins, then I will employ a grid. I also don't have a specific area size in mind. The site will dictate that for me, but generally it will be something I can complete within the available time. :yes:

every post is more pain from the armstwisting your giving me :crying02: :crying02:. your making it very hard to not pick up an e-trac , my friend . :bangahead02: :bangahead02: :tongue:
very cool to see all the silver your comming home with .

You don't want an E-Trac, Dan. George will tell you. :lol: Hopefully you can take one for a 'test drive' this year to see how you like it. I suspect you will. :yes:

thats true Angel but remind him that he's looking for coppers when he does find a silver coin and most of his coppers have no date , so with that theory in mind tell him they don't count .

:lol: :lol:

One way or another, he will make sure the date on each copper is readable. :lol:

coinnut
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Del with an E Trac :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I thought he said when you know what freezes over :lol: Buy American Dan :poke: :poke:

Beefcake
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Awww come on... Australia is like Canada is to America...just in the Southern hemisphere...

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
GEESH! :drool:

SeabeeRon
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I am just amazed at the number of really old coins that were dropped in your area Angel!! :shocked04: I know you are not the only one finding them, so it's gotta be in the thousands!! :drool: :drool:

tanacat
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Is it rude to ask for a total count of silver coins on here? :) What am I doing wrong Angel :huh: I keep finding 1965 dimes and quarters everywhere! It's driving me nuts :bangahead02: :bangahead02: :bangahead02:

I guess just don't give up and keep learning my new XLT huh?

angellionel
03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Is it rude to ask for a total count of silver coins on here? :) What am I doing wrong Angel :huh: I keep finding 1965 dimes and quarters everywhere! It's driving me nuts :bangahead02: :bangahead02: :bangahead02:

I guess just don't give up and keep learning my new XLT huh?

No, not rude at all. :lol: With today's finds, a total of 136.

I know what you mean about finding dimes dated 1965. It can be frustrating to dig such coins - so close! :yes: The first thing to remember is that you can't find what is not there. Second, detectorist skill and experience is actually crucial to be consistently successful. Learn your machine well, understanding its limitations and capabilities. Too, it is important for a detectorist to become very acquainted with the machine's language to be able to interpret signals from very deep coins and or coins that are mixed in with trash. Such signals are not going to be the classic strong and clear tones we may be familiar with. Learning to do this comes with experience, so keep at it. :)

Epi-hunter
03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
That is an incredible haul. I enjoyed hearing about it :) It's amazing to realize just how many coins are buried in trash, as I know this is how you found many of them. It does take a lot of patience.

tanacat
03-12-2010, 11:13 PM
That is an incredible haul. I enjoyed hearing about it :) It's amazing to realize just how many coins are buried in trash, as I know this is how you found many of them. It does take a lot of patience.

Yeah, I went to the Red Mile today- you must join me- if haven't already been! It's a horse race track near downtown where they used to have fair/carnivals in the grass parking lot. Very very trashy, yet I found a coin (clad :huh:) just about every hole I dug! Total of 14 coins -I'm learning her :thumbsup01: