PDA

View Full Version : CIVIL WAR DOG TAG? I HOPE SO!

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
went back up to a colonial inn site i have done well in the past at.decided to fight through the brush up on the bank behind it.never really worked this hill that good before.targets are almost zero around the foundation and figured why not work it.got a few targets and thought on the way home a few buttons & 2 4 legged creature dog tags oh well.not a total loss.
cleaning the shield tag WOW! please tell me I have just found my 1st Civil War dog tag? sure looks the age to me!

Toadman
04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Another nice hunt.. Get Del on speeddial lol lol lol lol

Tony Two-Cent
04-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Not my area of expertise, but I certainly agree that the engraving, fonts and look of the tag appear to be civil war era.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a great find there, Dave!

fyrffytr1
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I am trying to make out all the lettering on your tag. It looks like G J Alexander Co A. 2nd Reg. C_ _ N N. G. Waterbury Conn
I did a quick search and found a George Alexander who served in the 2nd Conn Heavy Artillery.
http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/regiments.cfm

I think you have a good find there.

CODY
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
:wow: I'm excited!!!!! I hope you are right! Hey Dan, where you at:huh: What say you:huh:thinkingabout: Awesome find! Congrats!

del
04-09-2012, 02:47 AM
there are a couple of hits for this name in my research the one up above in fyrffytr1 post
but i think this is your man Dave
http://www.bonniemiller.com/ebay/p591_alexander_family.txt

which would make it him in the Connecticut Nation Guard and would explain the C.N.G. stamped by the coat of arms motif on the tag . its a great piece either way and you should do alot more research on the individual to be 100% possitive . congrats on a very sweet tag with such personal history .

Dan

Ill Digger
04-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Holy cow Dave!! :shocked04: :envious:
That is a awesome find! I hope you can pin point the exact person it belonged too. That would be sooo cool!
Another out of this world find man!!
Big Congrats dude! :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
there are a couple of hits for this name in my research the one up above in fyrffytr1 post
but i think this is your man Dave
http://www.bonniemiller.com/ebay/p591_alexander_family.txt

which would make it him in the Connecticut Nation Guard and would explain the C.N.G. stamped by the coat of arms motif on the tag . its a great piece either way and you should do alot more research on the individual to be 100% possitive . congrats on a very sweet tag with such personal history .

Dan

thanks Dan i beleive this is him.as hitchcock lake is near the site.he married a Hitchcock.very interesting read on him.what does the crest symbolize and the letters inside the crest?

Fire Fighter 43
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Fantastic find, WTG |:cheering:

del
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
thanks Dan i beleive this is him.as hitchcock lake is near the site.he married a Hitchcock.very interesting read on him.what does the crest symbolize and the letters inside the crest?

no problem Dave , the coat of arms and initials could be the silversmith , engraver or company that commissioned the piece for him. it would be another avenue to persue on the piece .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
no problem Dave , the coat of arms and initials could be the silversmith , engraver or company that commissioned the piece for him. it would be another avenue to persue on the piece .

Dan

more research grrr! i'm busy ya know rofl geesh! can't you do it? :confused:

fyrffytr1
04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Nice Id Del. Could the crest be the Alexander family crest since his father was born in Scotland?

del
04-10-2012, 02:35 AM
more research grrr! i'm busy ya know rofl geesh! can't you do it? :confused:

yeah i know , your to busy detecting cellar holes and posting finds :teasing:

Nice Id Del. Could the crest be the Alexander family crest since his father was born in Scotland?

thats also a possiblility fyrffytr1 , we'll probably never know until Dave's retirement from the hobby . until then it will be in a giant coffee can with his other mysterious relics. :eyebrow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-10-2012, 07:52 AM
yeah i know , your to busy detecting cellar holes and posting finds :teasing:

thats also a possiblility fyrffytr1 , we'll probably never know until Dave's retirement from the hobby . until then it will be in a giant coffee can with his other mysterious relics. :eyebrow:

:perfect10: |:cheering:

Bell-Two
04-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Man what an awesome find just fantastic. Think of finding out all you can about this man and his family and background.

Research does take time and we all want to be out finding the next treasure but the researching of our finds is what points to the value of our hobby. I always think of Howard Carter the man who discovered King Tuts tomb. He broke through a wall and shined his lamp to see through the darkness and he could see gold glittering but when he entered the passage way he found a large number of beads on the floor, he spent two days recording every bead he found, as to type, color and size before he even went to the burial chamber to see the gold items, paitence of a saint, no just a man doing what is the right thing.

jkress
04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
As always... all your hunts are interesting. :->

The tag is an incredible find. :clapping: Well done sir.