PDA

View Full Version : Easter Digs with Dad

z118
04-09-2012, 05:29 PM
My wife and son and I made a quick trip back to New England over the Easter weekend. It was a pretty busy trip but I did manage to get in a bit of hunting time with my dad on Saturday morning. We were out bright and early at a local park I'd asked him about. As he told me it would be hunting there was tough. The E-trac was running in Auto at a sensitivity of 19 or 20 with much falsing, and all I was getting was sparse surface clad. I dug a few questionable tones that I figured would be deep iron and found nothing at all... just disappearing signals. I was ready to move on to greener pastures when I hit a nice deeper tone and lo and behold dug a sweet 1940 Merc. I'm certain I was nothing other than lucky, but that being said I'd hit that park again if I could. We hunted a few other spots where I got some more clad and a lonely wheat.

Sunday morning my better half made some last minute change in plans so I was able to get out for a short hunt at sunrise. I had one perfect spot that I'd been curious about and I figured first thing Easter morning was a good time to check it out. The conditions were horrendous (I could barely maintain a threshold tone) and all I got was an old Gilt button and some other odd relic looking things. I left in short order and on a whim headed to a tot lot near my parents house. I was happily digging clad when of course my dad comes along... he was off to his own hunt when he spotted me. Lord I wish I had had the time to go with him because he did great there. When we met up for Easter dinner he had a silly grin that can only be brought on my BIG SILVER.

My total for the weekend was 103 coins worth $7.27, plus the usual keys, tokens, trinkets, etc. I was great hunting with the old man. New England digging is a bit different than my home turf. If only I had all the time in the world I wanted to spend digging in the dirt...

Happy hunting...

randy
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Wow, that's a pile of coins. Congrats on all that digging, and especially the merc. BTW, with the E-Trac, if the signal is repeatable, even if iffy, there is almost always something there, even if ferrous (keep working the hole, and you should find it, often in the side of the hole, occasionally even a deep silver on its side).

Fire Fighter 43
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Congrats on znice hunt and the silver WTG |:cheering:

aloldstuff
04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the merc and a huge clad count. Maybe next time your pops will take you to the secret spot....then again maybe he won't.

POKIE73
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
great finds congrats on a good hunt looks like the day was a winner the best was the time you got to spend with your dad mine lives 700 miles away i wish we could get out more good hunting dennis

CODY
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Nice Merc. Congrats!

coop
04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Nice thumbsup01