PDA

View Full Version : first time in the water hunting

carl2112
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Well this weekend will be my first beach shallow water hunt (other then the time I went ankleish deep but stopped cause it was way to cold) I'm looking for some tips or suggestions. I've read a lot of what's already been posted on the subject but I was wondering how deep do you hunt in the water my detector is an AT pro which says its good submerged up to ten feet but I don't plan on going anywhere near that deep. But what's a good bench line that you other beach hunters go by. I'm going to a popular lake so its not salt water and there's no tides to consider I just don't wanna waste a lot of the day searching deeper water if its not very fruitful also besides how deep the water you normally hunt is how deep are your targets usually can I expect to be digging 8 to 10 inches under water. Thanks for any help you can give me I better end this before I start to ramble on. Oh wait its too late

skrapman
04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Carl I'm no expert but if you go to the water while people are there you can see where the majority of people swim. The mothers
with the small children stay closer to shore, knee deep at best. teenagers horse play more and will be out deeper, waist to shoulder
depth. Sometimes you just have to get lucky.When you go, find out where your comfortable with. Its not that easy to swing a coil
underwater then get it in your scoop. hope this helps , good luck mike

carl2112
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes it helps a lot. I no I need to buy a good water scoop do you know of any good brands ? And do you know how sturdy they are ? Can I use it like a shovel ? I was surprised how hard and compact the ground was under the water.

midas
04-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Good luck on water hunting. It's quite different from hunting on land. Remember, please pick up the trash you find and ALWAYS COVER THE HOLES YOU DIG!!!!! It doesn't take much of a hole to drown a little kid!

MNJung
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Good tips, I too am looking to try my first lake beach this weekend