PDA

View Full Version : Eagle on back of button

Sal66
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Has anyone seen a button with a Eagle on the back ?

Sal66
04-12-2012, 10:04 AM
WOW I didn't know it was out of focus. I think it's enough to make out though, if not I can edit the pic. You can see the eagle, below shank it says BEST , there are dots and stars along the side of the Eagle and is about the same size as a Quarter.

fyrffytr1
04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the eagles were put on the back of buttons made in England after the revolution to cash in on the patriotic theme.
Look at it this way. The English got their butts beat in the war but the Americans still needed to buy stuff and there weren't a lot of American button makers at the time. So the English put an eagle on the back of their buttons to boost sales. Is that clear as mud?

Sal66
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I've found several buttons with designs on the back and everyone says the same thing . That its a way to commmerate an event.
Both del and I have found these silver looking buttons that say WATERLOO 1815 above the shank and below is a pictorial of a drum, drumsticks and some arrows crisscrossing each other. I'll have to find a pic of it.
On this button, it makes me think it's before the Civil War like you said cuz it has that Slender Eagle looking to one side. The other pic is so big I resized it.

del
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
much better picture Sal , its a very early federal era looking eagle . while its very possible that it could be a British made button like fyrffytr1 said , i believe its just as likely to be from an American manufacturer .

Dan

Sal66
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
:) Thanks del. I wish I looked at the back more the morning we went out . I usually just look at the front and throw it in my pouch. It had a thick layer of dirt and was amazed when I saw the Eagle. I wonder if it was to commemerate the War of 1812 . Either way it's the only button I have with an Eagle on the back. Usually it's a Crown or leaf design and sometimes it just says orange gilt, gold gilt, superior quality to mention a few. By the way, the 2 cent is a 1865 and in AG grade. At least I found a coin and now I'm wanting to find more, that's where you come in . :wow:
Let me know whats up this weekend, Ok ?