PDA

View Full Version : recent hunts

randy
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
On Monday, I pulled 11 silvers (I think I posted that, not sure, so I hate to double dip), but Tue, anxious to get back to the same site (for obvious reasons), I pulled just one dime in 8 hrs (not shown). The site had already given up 3 silver half dollars, so no one with a brain is gonna give up on it, and on Wed, another 4 hour hunt netted just one Q (not shown). But today, the patience was rewarded, as I pulled 2 WLHs, for my second double silver half day in recent memory (and my 8th silver half on the year :omg:), as well as a dateless SLQ and a few dimes. Thanks for looking and HH everyone.

z118
04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Holy cow Angel Jr! I can't even imagine a hunt like that. Nice work sticking with that site. Congrats!

Mudder
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Now that is just way too nice. Wonderful looking Standing Liberty. Congratulations on a great load of silver. :groovy: thumbsup01

milco
04-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Very sweet finds Randy! Congrats on the WLH's! How far down were they? Mixed in with trash?

Rob L
04-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Great finds .You realy are pulling out the silver. Did you get any clads, and wheats, or was it all silver/

randy
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Very sweet finds Randy! Congrats on the WLH's! How far down were they? Mixed in with trash?

No, the targets were fairly easy for the most part. This one was won by research. I don't think the site had been hunted before (or, at least not with much skill). The way I knew here is by the deep bottlecaps. There were tons of them. While many may whine about tons of bottlecaps, they are your friend, as they tell you the site was passed over in the 80s when machines couldn't tell bottlecaps from silvers. I've never hit a site with so many bottlecaps before. (and being a beer drinker helped; many were from a brand of beer that went out of favor in the silver era, a dead giveaway that gives you the confidence to press on)

randy
04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Great finds .You realy are pulling out the silver. Did you get any clads, and wheats, or was it all silver/

Today was a nice ratio. 6 silvers, 8 wheats, and 3 clads (the site is not used today, which is why research is important). BTW, today's hunt put me in the 5% club. I'm a stats freak (comes from being a baseball fan), and I track everything, and today's hunt puts me at 5% of my coin finds are silvers. I've been in the high 4.9% for a long time, and wanted to get there. Made me regret all the time I spent gridding for clad and jewelry as a newbie, tho the technique has paid dividends.

Unfortunately, tho, sites like this come along once in a lifetime, and we farewelled the site today, so its down from here, but it was fun while it lasted.

POKIE73
04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
congrats on a great hunt two halfs dont come to often good hunting dennis

coop
04-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Congrats on all the silver!!!!!

jkress
04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Man... amazing!! :smitten:

Guys like you really make my 'one silver' days frustrating. :cheesysmile: :poke: lol
But... you guys also keep me motivated to keep improving. :yes:

Congrats on another great bunch of keepers Randy. Love the WLH's and the SLQ. :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
04-13-2012, 10:36 AM
:wow: now that is agreat hunt Randy, Congrats

carl2112
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Great finds I hope to find half of what you did in a day over the next month. But when you research a site what do you look for I've looked at old maps of the area I live in and I can't tell what's what I can see where some streets and Major roads are the same but I don't know how to pick a spot out of there. Without giving away your secrets can you help point me to the right direction ??

CODY
04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Just Sinply Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, YOU are the MAN! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)! :wow: Two, not just one, but.....Two WLH! :perfect10: :perfect10:. I am proud just to to say I know you a little! WTG! Congrats on another great hunt and finds! HH

randy
04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Great finds I hope to find half of what you did in a day over the next month. But when you research a site what do you look for I've looked at old maps of the area I live in and I can't tell what's what I can see where some streets and Major roads are the same but I don't know how to pick a spot out of there. Without giving away your secrets can you help point me to the right direction ??

I spend alot of time looking at old aerial photos, then lining them up on Google Earth (I'm lucky that the entire state of PA has aerials from the 30s online. I look for reasons people might have been at a particular part of the site, like baseball diamonds and the like (baseball in Chester County goes back to the 1890s, tho finding the really old fields is hard (and if you do find one, its often built over). I look for how people might have walked across a site, by looking at it in relation to the roads, and stuff that people wanted to get to. I look for trashy sites, they are your friend.

The trash can scare other detectorists away, and give you evidence of lots of people there, help you date the site, and give you evidence that it has not been filled/graded, or heavily detected in the 80s. I love trash for all of these reasons.

carl2112
04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks that's a big help even though where I live has been developed for well over a 100 years I'd still like to see some Ariel photos from the 30's just to see how much has changed since then. And there's some older towns and rural areas not to far from here I'll look into ariel photos from there too.

JTGOLD
04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
great bunch of silver there you found,good going.

aloldstuff
04-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Randy, looks like persistance and research really paid off. Like your 5% stat also. Congrats