PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th

pulltabsteve
04-13-2012, 08:11 PM
So today Mike and I got out for a quick 1 hour hunt. Mikes awesome research found this place. Used to be a farm in the 20s. My first target was a beat up pocket watch, then a 1918 wheat then a 1916 Merc. These old eyes couldnt tell if it was a &quot:grin: or not. Threw it in the basket in the trunk and headed towards home. I had to make a sudden stop and I heard the finds fly around the trunk... :rolleyes: When I got home I unloaded the gear and gathered the finds but couldnt find the Merc. Now being that it could be a $1000. coin, it drove me nuts looking for it. I even took out the rear seat but it was gone. Maybe it fell out at the hunt site? So my stepson and I drove back to the site, 20 minutes away. We looked around and I scanned the parking lot but no luck. We stopped off at a little restaurant for a burger and iced tea. I never misplaced a silver find before and it was bugging me. As I sat there eating my old bay burger I said it just has to be somewhere in the car. Old bay burger - American cheese and tartar sauce. Never had a burger before with tartar sauce but it was awsome! When I got home I ripped out the rear seat again and there it was, tucked under the seatbelt buckle bolted to the body. ;) Still cant be sure if its a plain 1916, a 1916D or a 1916S. At least its in a safe place now... :white:usaflag::

jkress
04-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Of all days... had to be today. lol
At least your persistence paid off. It would have bugged me to high heaven too. :cheesysmile:

I've got one of those unknown 1916's too. Pretty worn, but I can see the very top of a letter where the mint mark should be.
I'm sure it's an S but it would be nice to know for sure. :hairpulling:

Congrats on the silver.

Tarter sauce on a burger? :confused: lol You must be close to Canada. :rolleyes:

pulltabsteve
04-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Of all days... had to be today. lol
At least your persistence paid off. It would have bugged me to high heaven too. :cheesysmile:

I've got one of those unknown 1916's too. Pretty worn, but I can see the very top of a letter where the mint mark should be.
I'm sure it's an S but it would be nice to know for sure. :hairpulling:

Congrats on the silver.

Tarter sauce on a burger? :confused: lol You must be close to Canada. :rolleyes:

Long Island is quite a distance from Canada Joe. We have a big fishing industry here. The restaurant is owned by a clammer. When I saw it on the menu I had to try it. I wasn't really sure about it but it was actually pretty tasty. |:cheering: I scanned the dime and enlarged the mintmark 2000%. Looks like I got an S.... Oh well. I'll post the pic later. Its 5am and we're heading out east now to be on some property at sunrise. Have a great weekend. happydance02

aloldstuff
04-14-2012, 07:33 AM
That scenerio would have drove me crazy. Congrats on your persistence in finding the little bugger.

CODY
04-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Glad you found it! You bout wore me out looking for it! Hahaha! Sounds like you had an adventure! HH

pulltabsteve
04-14-2012, 11:17 AM
The dreaded 1916 S....

aloldstuff
04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
At least ya found it and now you know.....maybe next time the &quot:grin: will appear

tanacat
04-14-2012, 06:22 PM
The dreaded 1916 S....

:crying02: Bummer- maybe next time... :yes:

Congrats on finding it (two times :poke: :cheesysmile: lol )anyway!

Glad you got to hunt w/Mike- sounds like a nice farm :)