PDA

View Full Version : Coin Hunting with the TDI SL today

Shortcut
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Took the TDI SL out for the second time today, went to a drive in theater which is about three years old. It is lacated behind the owners house and has two screens in a grass field. Like all these type places it ha a lot of can slaw and a fair amount of iron. I did not find anything old or real deep but did find17 quarters, 10 dimes, 36 pennies, 1 small ring, 1 medallion and a Chucky Cheese token. I also gug 8 pieces of iron type scrap consisting of a few rusty nails, three sparkler wires and some blobs of something. The TDI SL was amazing as there was a lot of trash and it ran smooth as silk. Used Moxie's set up not even a peep on aluminum and after a few rusty nails and sparkler wires could tell a difference between the small iron trash and coins. None of the coins were old and the deepest was only about 3 to 4 deep but was a great place to get in some time learning this machine.

Tony Two-Cent
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes, it does look like that is a great site for learning your machine as there are a lot of different types of targets to dig and lots of coins.

I notice that you didn't find any nickels. I remember when I first got my new E-Trac that I didn't find any nickels for weeks. I think they're the hardest coin to learn to recognize on any detector. After I learned what to listen for nickels came much more easily. I'm sure you will pick up on them too.

It seems that you are learning quickly! Very respectable hunt! thumbsup01

del
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
sounds like a good outing with some great learning experience Shortcut , how were you running it . in the all or just low conductors , where did you have the GB and did you mess with the pulse delay , i can get a good idea as to what the target is when i start moving it around . its a great machine and so smooth running huh.

Dan

Shortcut
04-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Tony, with the settings I was using the TDI will pretty much ignore aluminum, most gold and nickels. Not that it will not find them but the way I had it set up I was only looking for higher conductive items.

Del, I had the gain at about the 2 o'clock, the pulse rate at 12 uS, go at 9 o'clock threshold barely audible and conductive switch high at high.

pinpointa
04-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Shortcut,

With the settings you had did you get any aluminium screw caps off bottles.

Regards Pinpointa. :cheering:

Shortcut
05-22-2012, 09:41 PM
With those settings the threshold never wavered when over aluminum.

Shortcut